audio IO setting

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
redrockralph

audio IO setting

Post by redrockralph » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just downloaded the Live 6 Demo and am having some problems with setting up the Audio IO settings. I was able to set up the output buffer such that I heard the Test Tone. But when I got to the next section of setting up the input buffer, afer engaging the Arm Button, I was not able to register any changes in the level meter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The exterior device that I am using is my Roland Fantom S-88 keyboard, and it was hooked up via midi from the Roland and also using midi connections on the front of my soundcard. The information in the Ableton software program says to "make the connections to the default inputs of your audio interface (usually Inputs 1 & 2)", but I am using the midi connections.

My soundcard is a SoundBlaster Platinum Live! 5.1 soundcard. I believe that this is a AWE32 soundcard (about 6 years old), and this may be the issue here. The other issue is that it may be that my settings in my computer's Control Panel under Sound and Audio Device settings may not be set up properly, and I''m not sure as to what setting it should set to. (e.g. in the Sound and Audio Device settings page, under the Audio tab, for the Sound Recording section, after I press the Volume button, which device do I select (e.g. midi, auxiliary, line in, etc...))? If anyone is also using a PC with Windows XP Home edition, I would appreciate them letter me know what their settings are.

Also, I've been having a heck of a time getting ahold of Abletom Tech Support. The US phone number is always busy, and is only up 4 hours per day. Can anyone give me a different US # where I can talk to a person?

Thanks

Ralph

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:21 am

Midi doesn't transmit audio. You need to hook up your keyboard with audio cables. Also do yourself a favour and use the www.asio4all.com drivers for much lower latency.

redrockralph

Audio IO settings

Post by redrockralph » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:47 pm

Michael -

Obviously I'm a newbie to the world of midi and DAW's. I appreciate your info.

Ralph

laird

Post by laird » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Yes, you will select the soundblaster as your default AUDIO device.

The MIDI cable you describe sends notes... think of it like sheet music.
If your soundblaster has MIDI capabilities, you will connect a MIDI cable from the S-88 MIDI out to the soundblaster MIDI-in. But remember, this is just data, not sound.

The S-88 can also send audio (like your CD player or tape deck).
This is what you will connect to inputs 1 and 2 of your soundcard. You may need some adapters, as I assume your keyboard as 1/4" outputs and the soundblaster has RCA inputs.

and def. look into asio4all like MSW suggests!

redrockralph

Audio IO settings

Post by redrockralph » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Hello Laird and Michael,

I'm assuming I connect Coaxial Out from my Fantom S-88 to he Aux Left and Right ins of my soundblaster card. However, there is only 1 Coaxial connection coming out of the S-88 (plus an optical) vs. the 2 inputs on the soundcard. The S-88 also has Output B L3 & L4, but I've been told that's not what I should be connecting Audio out to .

Lastly, the chord/cable from the S-88 is simply a coaxial cable? Any specific type with specific end connectors?

Thanks for your help.

laird

Post by laird » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Assume nothing. Read this first http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_yo ... o_card.htm

I would connect the analog audio outputs to your soundcards analog audio inputs.

Perhaps the manual for the Fantom goes into more depth on that coaxial connector if you are curious, otherwise ignore it for now.

redrockralph

Audio IO settings

Post by redrockralph » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:09 am

Hello Laird,

I read the file that you mentioned and it helped. At this time, I did as you suggested and connected the analog audio outputs from my Fantom o the L & R RCA audio inputs in my soundcard (Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 card). I'm still not getting a Input Buffer Level Meter Signal. However, what I am getting is some echo (such as when I change directories to access a file in my computer, the click that you hear when you change directories echoes). Could it be that I have an outdated sound card that is causing the complications?