Upgrade to Live 7 or what?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
android

Upgrade to Live 7 or what?

Post by android » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Ok, these are "my" upgrade options

1.Download version: EUR 99/USD 119
I think this could be a 6.1 or 6.x version, not 7. "Basic" version has no new very exciting features for me.

2. Ableton Suite (download version): EUR 299/USD 339
Personally, I prefer to buy Reaktor 5 (449 USD)..!!!

Opinions are always wellcome
Last edited by android on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+ - - - - - - - - - +
a n d r o i d
+ - - - - - - - - - +

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:38 pm

i will buy the upgrade for 100€ for sure.. mainly because of the external device freezing which is more than dope

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:45 pm

i'm thinking i'm gonna do the basic upgrade to live 7 minus all the bells and whistles. then again i don't know. i'll wait and see what everybody says about the suite after the beta testing is done.
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

theguru_

Post by theguru_ » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Lol this New version 7 is shit with those pricing, lol, come on. I change to Logic7 for sure.

neve

Post by neve » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:10 pm

I am still on Live5, so i will upgrade and get both improvements & new features of 2 versions at once.
Otherwise, i wouldn't have upgraded: there is one or two neat features (the drum track simply looks amazing and for sure will use the hardware thing), but i don't care about Ableton-restricted instruments, and whoneeds another visualizer plugin (there are so many around) ?

android

Post by android » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:03 pm

theguru_ wrote:Lol this New version 7 is shit with those pricing, lol, come on. I change to Logic7 for sure.
Well, one of my musician partners bought Logic 8 a few weeks ago. He is a very-happy Logic user now.
Anyway, I think that my setup want something better than a basic upgrade.
+ - - - - - - - - - +
a n d r o i d
+ - - - - - - - - - +

jbible

Post by jbible » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:14 pm

Will basic upgrade to 7 for sure. No need for all the new instruments really. Have everything I need in the sound design department.

I will upgrade just for the midi, audio, dithering, workflow improvments. For $120 thats a deal. Drumracks are a nice bonus.

Logic lost my business when they went mac only.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

ash1

Post by ash1 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:41 pm

you guys develop a beta for 7 lot of donkey work ableton give you the finished 7 and take your dosh bad show im of to reason 4 or cakewalk.
ableton is dead in the water. :cry:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:16 pm

don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

What's with all the negativity? The basic upgrade gives a ton of useful features (err.. sidechaining, multiple automation lane views, automatable timing signatures, new kick ass drum rack, better midi, better audio, nudge for DJs, video export etc), if you think this version (L7) is crap, I can only imagine how crap and disappointed you felt in Live 6, 5, 4

and those who want to use Logic. Go ahead. It's a totally different program with different strengths. If you like having to take 4 times longer to get a song arranged in it's dinosaur like linearity then go ahead.

Ableton is dead in the water - show me the figures and facts to back this up. Jesus, frigging troll posters and those miserable bastards who show up every year at update time really piss me off :evil:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jamester

Post by jamester » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I think for $120 it's a fair deal for the download upgrade. In addition to the Drum Rack you're getting some new funcitonality (like Rex support) and improved audio/midi engine, 64-bit etc...

I'm not very excited about it, but since I can afford it easily enough I have no qualms upgrading at the most basic level. The rest of the bells-and-whistles on offer are of no interest to me, and I will continue to wait and hope for future workflow/functionality improvements.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Urbem

Upgrading from Live 5.

Post by Urbem » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:07 pm

I'm still running Live 5 without Operator. I did'nt thought Live 6 was bad! I just did'nt need it. As a matter of fact the main reason i'm going for Live 7 is because i will buy a new QuadCore computer very soon and i want to take advantage of the multicore support. The Live 7 suite is a fair deal! (Sampler, Operator, Tension, Analog, Electric and all new feature from live 6 + 7)

I have been making music for close to 30 years now. From 4 track real2real with analog step sequencer to MIDI studio with digital samplers and synths.
I think Ableton Live is the best kickass Paradigm Shifting tool to create, arrange and perform electronic based music.

Maybe the marketing people from Ableton wont like this but if you feel Live 7 has not enough new features for your needs, wait for Live 8!! You should still be able to make kickass music with Live 4-5-6!! The only limitation this sofware has is your imagination!
AthlonXP 2700+, WinXP SP2, Live 5.2.2, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, MalletKat Pro, Evolution MK-449c...