BT Talks about MIDI timing inaccuracies...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
redpunk

Post by redpunk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:54 pm

nothing wrong with my midi, pretty tight I must say..
Intel E6850 DC, ASUS P5K Premium, 4GB Kingston HyperX,WIN XP64, Access Virus C, Motif ES+mLAN16E, Roland MV-8800+MV8-OP1, Roland TB-303, Korg MS2000R, Korg Karma MW, MOTU Micro-LITE, Yamaha i88x, Yamaha FS1r

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:11 pm

Machinate wrote:rikhyray, coming on here and calling people pathetic and bitter doesn't make you seem as professional as you think you are. People lashing out towards BT because of his image is one thing, you lashing out against other forum users is another.

Be. Nice.
Yeah, I'm actually a BT fan (and I thought The Binary Universe was the best electronic album of '06). But sweet jesus' comment on his hair was pretty damn funny. Everyone knows BT is a product endorsing whore and pretty boy, so it's all in good fun when we take jabs at him.

[/beatingdeadhorse]
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:30 pm

the_planet wrote:Yeah dude man! MIDI has poor timing man cool Atlanta awesome! *laughs* Dude man check it out DJing is awesome sweet! But dude it's cool man *laugh*! Cool dude man man dude!
(I actually really like BT and think he's pretty rad. He just says dude man cool a lot and it is funny. :))

Vertical

Post by Vertical » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:49 pm

I have a serious question for anyone who might know:

I'm listening to BT for the first time, on pandora.com. If this guy doesn't use any midi, how does he produce his music?

I mean any electronic sound source needs to be triggered somehow. Is he using all audio loops, or audio tracks, and really no midi?

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Vertical wrote:I have a serious question for anyone who might know:

I'm listening to BT for the first time, on pandora.com. If this guy doesn't use any midi, how does he produce his music?

I mean any electronic sound source needs to be triggered somehow. Is he using all audio loops, or audio tracks, and really no midi?
He's a classically trained pianist; really quite the prodigy at a young age. I don't know his production methods but I wouldn't be surprised if records everything live.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:17 pm

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:50 pm

nolus wrote:
rikhyray wrote: it was never really great concept.
care to justify that remark?
Yeah, it blows me away that someone/anyone can come into this forum and diss Dave Smith.

I'm actually being serious. It really does amaze me that you can can disrespect arguably the most innovative person in the history of electronic music becuase you don't understand the concept of midi.

BT can go back to the salon/boyfriends house and bitch about it there. When he invents his own protocol or has a suggestion on how to make an existing one better maybe I'll listen.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:11 pm

thelike5 wrote:
BT can go back to the salon/boyfriends house and bitch about it there. When he invents his own protocol or has a suggestion on how to make an existing one better maybe I'll listen.
OSC - Open Sound Control

http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/

Reaktor uses it internally, same with Lemur. One of the performance side wishes for the next Live was that Live would have been one of the first big DAWs to fully support it, and hence have a head-way with far more superior electronic controllers. Alas, it didn't happen yet. --Kent

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Although I have no OSC equipment, I do see the attraction.

If Live had OSC I think I would get some OSC equipment!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:27 pm

also, OSC is made for network distribution, making it a LOT more flexible for inter-computer applications, and esoteric data stream configurations. I love OSC, to be honest. There have been proposals that even outshine OSC (jazzmutant@NIME, for instance) but OSC is so easy to work with.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Angstrom wrote:Although I have no OSC equipment, I do see the attraction.

If Live HAS OSC, then a lot more manufacturors (read Behringer, m-... urgh i cant say it. They-who-must-not-be-named) would be more motvated to make more toys.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:33 pm

dave smith would knock transeaus false teeth into the back of his bra strap

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:45 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Although I have no OSC equipment, I do see the attraction.

If Live HAS OSC, then a lot more manufacturors (read Behringer, m-... urgh i cant say it. They-who-must-not-be-named) would be more motvated to make more toys.
And a lot of latency issues would be gone, and the responses would be very quick, hence more playable external instruments. Not to speak of better resolution for controls (i.e. really nice smooth sliders), and the option to just expand on the protocol into Nth degree with all kinds of objects sent here and there. I think it would also really open up the world of UI-related touch screen systems, there was a reason Lemur is using OSC... --Kent

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:47 pm

There's absolutely no reason to stick with MIDI, except for cost.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:00 pm

noisetonepause wrote:There's absolutely no reason to stick with MIDI, except for cost.
Hardly even cost, to be honest. network systems are dirt cheap, the data is simple.

Having said that, companies like Korg fully admit to burning the firmware into their products instead of making it user-upgradable... despite buggy/lacking behaviour...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.