Live 7 & DJing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tuur

Live 7 & DJing

Post by Tuur » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi peeps!

Besides the tempo nudge, are there other significant new (DJ) features in Live 7?

Thanks in advance.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:05 pm

No.

Well, maybe the ability to add text notes to CLips now, but that's implemented kinda goofy right now.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Cheers and hmmm... I'll probably skip another version then.

danryanfl

Post by danryanfl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Any word on dual waveform display in session view?

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Or color-coded waveforms, or multiple loops, or images to identify clips, or scrubbing in browser preview, or MIDI browser navigation, and on and on. Pick any two, and I don't think they'd have been too much to ask for in 7.

Live isn't really DJ software. It's a sequencer for live performance, live PA software. The DJ feature updates trickle in (1 or 2 per year) while the DAW features and new instruments come in droves.

I'm not sure if the Abes avoid little basic DJ-friendly features because they don't occur to them, or they don't want them personally, or because they think stuff like that is beneath them (as in, what does Traktor or Serato have to show Live?). Almost all of the features DJs want would help everyone's workflow.

I've given up getting upset about how little love the DJs get. I'm not even bitching. I'm totally happy to adapt to DJing with live PA software. But every once in a while I start thinking, "What the hell?"

Allison Redhead

Post by Allison Redhead » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:25 pm

danryanfl wrote:Any word on dual waveform display in session view?
Yes, PLEASE!?

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Allison Redhead wrote:
danryanfl wrote:Any word on dual waveform display in session view?
Yes, PLEASE!?
+1
.::.::..::.:::.:.vandeloow.net.:.:::.:..::.:::::.::..:
..:..::.:

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:36 pm

I totally forgot--the thought I was getting to in the above comment is that Live will eventually be passed up by another hungrier and more innovative piece of software if the present course continues. Given Robert's talk of modularity and the news of the C74 teamup, things will probably improve.

There are TONS of ways the computer-based live PA/DJ experience could be more musical, intuitive, logical, tactile, freeform, the list goes on. And you can't say as much about the linear desktop DAW approach. It's familiar and well-tested by now, with a big list of companies competing to offer their own versions of similar features. I don't understand the big push by a company who calls their software "Live" to get into this fuddy-duddy old gentleman's club.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 pm

John Sweet wrote: And you can't say as much about the linear desktop DAW approach. It's familiar and well-tested by now, with a big list of companies competing to offer their own versions of similar features. I don't understand the big push by a company who calls their software "Live" to get into this fuddy-duddy old gentleman's club.
I concur. I want a highly optimized live performance tool called "Digital Audio Workstation"...

danryanfl

Post by danryanfl » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:25 pm

I want a highly optimized live performance tool called "Digital Audio Workstation"...
:lol: I love it.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:31 pm

John Sweet wrote:I totally forgot--the thought I was getting to in the above comment is that Live will eventually be passed up by another hungrier and more innovative piece of software if the present course continues. Given Robert's talk of modularity and the news of the C74 teamup, things will probably improve.

There are TONS of ways the computer-based live PA/DJ experience could be more musical, intuitive, logical, tactile, freeform, the list goes on. And you can't say as much about the linear desktop DAW approach. It's familiar and well-tested by now, with a big list of companies competing to offer their own versions of similar features. I don't understand the big push by a company who calls their software "Live" to get into this fuddy-duddy old gentleman's club.
All I can say is people in both camps (DAW and DJ) bitch that the other side gets all the attention. So what can ya say?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 pm

chrysalis33rpm wrote: All I can say is people in both camps (DAW and DJ) bitch that the other side gets all the attention. So what can ya say?
Really? Have people on the "DAW-side" complained that the DJs are getting too much attention with this?

If so, links please - I don't see it at all. This release is heading squarely towards the DAW section of the market. It's bigger, after all.

What I fear will happen in the future is that we will see stuff like crossfades in arrangement view before we see audio overdubbing in session view. Now, many request crossfades, but the technology behind it (ie multiple streams of audio on one track)would be used for the DAW-crowd first... and we may never see it in Session view...