AESNYC07: Ableton's CEO Speaks on Live 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Poster wrote:
forge wrote:
Poster wrote: can you throw that high? :wink:
I meant YOUR windows! :twisted:
that far? hehehe.. :wink:
I'm in your town right now

in fact look out the window!

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:39 pm

forge wrote:I'm going to seriously start thinking about hurling bricks through Windows
Buy an Apple and get on with it man!

"More flow and less work" - what a great description of Live.

I truly appreciate Gerhard's candor. It's pretty rare in MI, on the public level anyhow. That video made me feel less self-conscious about expressing my honest opinion all the time, as opposed to pretending that every product is wonderful and that all manufacturers are saints.

It makes so much sense that they consolidated the compressors!

Thanks for the link!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:55 pm

It is clear to me, now more than ever, that there is dissension in Ableton HQ, and the factions are forming. In one camp, we have the Abes who want Live to be the best at what it does...a performance tool, simple, and robust. On the other camp, we have the Abes that want to add all sorts of instruments and sample add-ons...essentially "bringin' da bling". It is with great disturbing evidence that shows a company tearing at the fabric of its foundation.

And what is said evidence for such an assertion? The new "features" in L7? The added synths? The missing features? The features "removed"? Nay, dear friends, it's even simpler than that....it's in the fashion!

Exhibit 1:
I point you to an article from back in the day showing a dichotomy in philosophies. A yin to the yang. A John to the Paul. A scruffy man in pauper-ish clothes, to a balding man with a sincerity in his eyes...

Image - Gerhard looks like he just woke up, has no idea what to do with his company, and is hoping someone, anyone, buys a version of Live, so he can get a latte down the street.

Image - Henke looks like he just came off a high and finally had a nugget of brilliance, and this time, he was gonna write it down before he forgot.

As you can see, the ideological differences were already planted, but they didn't have the water to flourish...YET!

Exhibit 2:
As the years came and went, and Live became prominent, Gerhard starts to hobnob with the rich and famous.

Image - Clearly, Gerhard now has some money to buy shirts, and starts hanging out with "cool" artists who have "cult" and "indie" followings. He has also invested in some sort of hair gel.

Image - Henke starts to get a little lost and disenfranchised. Here, after some serious LCD, Henke manages develop a plugin that clones himself. Sadly, the original Henke (pictured center) realizes that diversifying Live in such a manner is only a recipe for disaster, and that he must kill his own clones.

The ideological differences are now evident, but the tension is not yet full blown...

Exhibit 3:
Clearly, the fame and popularity of Live is driving a wedge between the founders.

Image - Gerhard's greed has now reached epic proportions. He starts hanging out with gigolos who wear their occupation on their t-shirts; he buys expensive Italian suits, and he wears them to go paint! See below:
Image - But even more disturbing...could the metaphor here be any clearer? His choice of light green in the walls reveals that he is all about da bling!!!

Image - Henke tries very hard to follow along, going for a sleek exterior makeover, using fashionistas flown in from Paris. But the new look is at odds with his core values...alas, the loveable geek surrounds his office with plants...
Image. There are strange reports from other Abes that Henke has been quietly whispering to the plants when he thinks no one is looking, and one of them is named "Fred". Rumor has it that "Fred" was chiefly responsible for Operator. Eventually, near his breaking point, Henke looks to mother earth and father sky for direction...the man has lost his faith...

Exhibit 4:
The transformation is complete, the armies built, the line in the sand drawn...judgement day is here!

Image - Gerhard's eccentricities have now manifested entirely. He begins shopping with Hugh Heffner and starts wearing what can only be some sort of girlish silk scarf that only very rich, very batshit-crazy old dudes can get away with. The devilish look in his eyes betrays the true design of his evil plan.
Image - Shortly thereafter, Gerhard begins playing flutes with his new "consultants", and it's is this new set of advisors that convince him to create an insanely complex set of packages/offerings for Live 7 that even the Covert Operators can't figure out.

Image - Gerhard orders Henke to shape up or ship out. Henke secretly plots revenge, but for the time being, decides to try to conform and make the best of it by buying a tie and wearing a name tag. However, despite his best efforts, no one seems to forget the talking-to-plants incidents.

Image - About to lose his mind, Henke suddenly changes strategy and surrounds himself with oranges. He knows that his vision of Live has been bastardized to a point where he can no longer win. Sidechaining and Drum Racks will only go so far. Henke accepts defeat and falls in line. However, he still talks to his new "friends". Some of them, especially "Nancy" (the top orange in the pyramid) get a little scared that when Henke runs out of hash, he'll peal her and smoke her...something about the acidity in the peal giving him the best high in years.

And thus, dear friends, we come to present day. A company, once united and taking our scene by storm, now reduced to a playboy and a broken, orange-peal-smoking freak. Where will Ableton go next? Only time will tell...
Last edited by nebulae on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

:lol:

:!:

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:01 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:05 pm

OMG, that was fucking hilarious!

Co-workers are now concerned for my health after hearing me gasping and wheezing for breath.

Jesus that was funny, well done.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Robert Henke wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol:

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:08 pm

:lol: 8O :lol:

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Nebby, you're bananas!

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Nebulae, this is amazing! G.
Gerhard Behles
behles@ableton.com

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Thank you Nebulae, you have revealed much to me.

maomao

Post by maomao » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:55 pm

:lol:

brilliant!
http://www.soundcloud.com/maomao

"one good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain"

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:58 pm

True, Neb, you are incredible. The evidence you present is flawless! And because you're a lawyer, we know that you couldn't possibly be fabricating any of this! That would be unethical, and we know how you roll.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:00 pm

classic.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

One for the Ableton scrapbook?

Superb.