Which Mic Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DrXparaMental

Which Mic Question

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:55 pm

rather than pretend to be some closet recording Mic expert, can I please get a couple good recommendations for an all around solid Mic for both average rap/spoken word vocals & general recorded sounds. Not looking for the state of the art here, just something that will represent it's input well in a slightly above average sense.

which & how much do you figure?

Thanks!! :)

LJN

Post by LJN » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:58 pm

Shure SM58. Pretty cheap, robust and good sounding.

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:15 pm

There are plenty of options for vocal mics. Shure are great, and if you can stretch to it get the beta version which has a wider frequency response I think.

Failing that I've never used a crap AKG mic, and they're pretty damn cheap.

MarkH

Re: Which Mic Question

Post by MarkH » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Neumann TLM103. $999 and sounds just as good as it's big brothers. The only difference is it doesn't have a pad switch on it. If you want to stay under $500 then definitely go with the Studio Project T3.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

Cloak and Dagger

Post by Cloak and Dagger » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:04 pm

anyone have any feedback on the Rode nt-2a? I was considering getting one since it had so many excellent reviews. I would love to hear any of your opinions....
put your music where your mouth is......

greta

Post by greta » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:17 pm

Cloak and Dagger wrote:anyone have any feedback on the Rode nt-2a? I was considering getting one since it had so many excellent reviews. I would love to hear any of your opinions....
I use the Nt2-A for vocals and am very happy with it. Multi patterned with low cut filters makes it pretty flexible.

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:42 pm

Cloak and Dagger wrote:anyone have any feedback on the Rode nt-2a? I was considering getting one since it had so many excellent reviews. I would love to hear any of your opinions....
Heard nothing but good stuff about the Rode mics. Definately on my own wishlist I have to say :P

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:50 pm

downfader wrote:
Heard nothing but good stuff about the Rode mics. Definately on my own wishlist I have to say :P

Rode is always great. Always, always, always.

You can get a condensor NT-A that (in my opinion) sounds better than Audio Technica and even AKG to a point for about 40% less.

Rode's a cool company too. They recently acquired Event monitors, which is kinda the same way Rode is, but with studio monitors; excellent and affordable.

evernaut

Re: Which Mic Question

Post by evernaut » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 pm

MarkH wrote:Neumann TLM103. $999
Great mic. Not exactly budget territory though, I think you'll agree.

The Rodes are very good quality fer sure ( apart from the NT1000, which is the ugly duckling in an otherwise fine range)

To the OP: I can highly recommend the AKG Perception 100. It retails at c. 60 quid ( or about $120) and positively defines the term 'bang for buck'.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:23 am

+1 for Studio Projects

I have a C1 and it's a great mic (so far only used it on male and female vocals but I'm impressed on both). And it's approx. $200!
Mac Pro: 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
Metric Halo ULN-2 interface
Akai MPK49 controller
Adam A7 monitors
Sennheiser HD 650 headphones
Studio Projects C1 mic
Ableton Suite 8 | Komplete 5 | impOSCar

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:43 am

LJN wrote:Shure SM58. Pretty cheap, robust and good sounding.
yep, some people prefer the SM57 for vox, I'd reccommend either one.

A lot of classic rap vocals were recorded with a 57(though it probably went thru a very nice pre-amp in most cases)

STRATEGY

Cloak and Dagger

Post by Cloak and Dagger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:02 am

I think shure sm58 are highly over rated...maybe for live performance they are ok...but for studio vocal recording...talk about singing in a jar...under water at the bottom of a lake....yuch...!

for abou $60 more you can get the "akg perception 200" - which is eons above the quality of sm58.

although from the sound of what the OP is looking for...th sm58/57 should probably work out ok.
put your music where your mouth is......

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:32 am

If you don't know your way with Compressors the SM58 will help you with rap vocals because of its somewhat missing dynamics compared to condenser mics. You can tread it rather bad and still get consistent sound. For studio recordings you may want to stay away at least 10 cm from it to get a much more natural sound and get closer for alot more bassy sounds. It's not exactly made for today's studio standards and rather seen as a stage-pig. Try screwing off its own wind-shield when using it with an "external" seperate wind-shield

With one of the condenser mic options you will have a much more "airy" sounds, more articulation - which may help with raps in that consonants stand out more - and more "breath" - like a smoky voice will sound more like that and you'll probably hear more of the non-musical sounds coming out of your mouth! :P

In both cases buy a seperate wind/pop-shield (one of those big circle-like ones). It will get you rid of many hiss/pop sounds and it will help you maintain a constant distance to the mic and kind of give you something bigger to sing through/to.

DrXparaMental

Thanks As Always!!

Post by DrXparaMental » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for their valued input. As I said, at this point I don't really need something super high tech, just slightly, ever so slightly, above average.

Another thought that occurred to me is building and using various vocoders. This mic will be used for that as well.

Are speech processors, the kind that you "type in" what you want the processor to "read" called vocoders or is that type of VST something technically different?

chucksty

Post by chucksty » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:05 pm

i use a rodes nt1a and an sm-57 and sm -58 for almost everyting i do and I love all three. i defitely use the nt1a for most of my vocal tracks and have always been pleased. i use the 57 form recording guitar and my wurlitzer but for vocals i almost always fall back on the nt1a