Impulse in Live 7, question to beta testers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Impulse in Live 7, question to beta testers

Post by Pasha » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:09 am

Having based all my drum tracks on impulse, I would like to kow if...

1. Impulse is stil there in Live 7
2. Impulse took any improvement in Live 7
3. Are Impulse kits easy to turn to Drum Racks (automatically)?
4. Are Drum Racks GM compatible?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:08 am

1) Yes

2) Not since Live 4

3) No

4) Yes

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:17 am

hoffman2k wrote:2) Not since Live 4
they didn't change it at all??? I was really hoping for a pitch envelope for each sound. damnit!
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
they didn't change it at all??? I was really hoping for a pitch envelope for each sound. damnit!
You can do that in Drum Racks.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:26 am

hoffman2k wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
but drum racks defaults as simplers right? and you can't time stretch samples in simpler right? or did they add that? also, impulse has a bunch of randomizing features that simpler doesn't have.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote: they didn't change it at all??? I was really hoping for a pitch envelope for each sound. damnit!
but drum racks defaults as simplers right? and you can't time stretch samples in simpler right? or did they add that? also, impulse has a bunch of randomizing features that simpler doesn't have.
Nope. No time stretch in Simpler. You can still use impulse for that.
You can combine Impulses and Drum Racks into a Drum Instrument Rack.
I even have some operators and automats in my racks.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:32 am

yes but what I'm saying is impulse has time stretch and I was hoping that they would add a pitch envelope to it so I could use both time stretch and pitch envelope and/or the random features. a drum rack full of simplers doesn't replace impulse unless they are going to give simpler a distortion, randomizing features, and a time stretch.

I guess I can always render single hits and feed them to a simpler though.

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't understand why they would make Drum Racks Simpler-based, and then not give Simpler the same features as Impulse. It makes no sense! But it seems a number of things haven't made sense to me these past couple updates....
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Thanks for replays
Let me try to recap a little.
1. I can feed Drum Racks slots with single shot samples like the ones I have bought on
Smart Loops site.
2. Samples cannot receive the impulse treatment but they play as they are although you can add effects on every single slot or send/returns
3. There is no way to alter a sample start/end, pitch, stretch, randomness like in impulse

Am I right?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Pasha wrote:3. There is no way to alter a sample start/end, pitch, stretch, randomness like in impulse

Am I right?
No, you can modulate sample start/end and pitch just fine - there's even a pitch envelope ;)

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Pasha wrote:Thanks for replays
1. I can feed Drum Racks slots with single shot samples like the ones I have bought on
Smart Loops site.
2. Samples cannot receive the impulse treatment but they play as they are although you can add effects on every single slot or send/returns
3. There is no way to alter a sample start/end, pitch, stretch, randomness like in impulse

Am I right?

- Best
- Pasha
its better to understand that drum racks are not 'new magic', or a totally new sample based devices..
basicly its just a 'normal' rack filled with Simplers..

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:15 pm

As cool as the drum rack idea is, I think it is really unfortunate that they have basically split their drum functionality into two camps, both of which are missing features from the other. Drum Racks are such an excellent interface, and I have been waiting for a method to quickly have internal sends and inserts for individual drums on one track, but I feel that this new method has provided that functionality at the cost of having to chose between existing methods, and your existing kits cannot easily be transferred. So you either base your drum sound on simpler/sampler and get pitch envelopes and extra modulation but lose stretch, or use impulse and get stretch, but lose the other good things about simpler/sampler.

The same thing is true of using sampler instead of simpler too. You get extra good stuff but lose the ability to midi control the loop points as easily and scrub through a sample. So again, the new successor actually lost functionality from the predecessor. It's just kind of bitter sweet, and would be cool if they made sure to incorporate existing functionality in new features.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:50 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:As cool as the drum rack idea is, I think it is really unfortunate that they have basically split their drum functionality into two camps, both of which are missing features from the other. Drum Racks are such an excellent interface, and I have been waiting for a method to quickly have internal sends and inserts for individual drums on one track, but I feel that this new method has provided that functionality at the cost of having to chose between existing methods, and your existing kits cannot easily be transferred. So you either base your drum sound on simpler/sampler and get pitch envelopes and extra modulation but lose stretch, or use impulse and get stretch, but lose the other good things about simpler/sampler.

The same thing is true of using sampler instead of simpler too. You get extra good stuff but lose the ability to midi control the loop points as easily and scrub through a sample. So again, the new successor actually lost functionality from the predecessor. It's just kind of bitter sweet, and would be cool if they made sure to incorporate existing functionality in new features.
+1 my thoughts exactly from the first moment I used the drum racks..
for some they're a godsend, for me personally they lack the features I use alot in Impulse..

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:22 am

Poster wrote:
Smart Loops site.

Am I right?

- Best
- Pasha
its better to understand that drum racks are not 'new magic', or a totally new sample based devices..
Thanks.
I missed that point when I went through the promo video on Ableton site.
It shows someone draggin & dropping samples on a Rack and probably I forgot to link the subsequent parts....
Indeed I sense a loss of functionalities here. I sure cannot move my songs to the new drum racks without effort.
Does anybody has tested session? it looks like it'a Drum Rack with a large amount of samples...

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:58 am

Pasha wrote:
Poster wrote:
Smart Loops site.

Am I right?

- Best
- Pasha
Thanks.
I missed that point when I went through the promo video on Ableton site.
It shows someone draggin & dropping samples on a Rack and probably I forgot to link the subsequent parts....
Indeed I sense a loss of functionalities here. I sure cannot move my songs to the new drum racks without effort.
Does anybody has tested session? it looks like it'a Drum Rack with a large amount of samples...

- Best
- Pasha
Why transfer? You're already complaining about drum racks, why change your kits from Impulse then?