Influences/What r u listening to currently?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suburbanbather

Influences/What r u listening to currently?

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:53 am

My favorite conversation! As I type I'm listening to MC Beans from Anti Pop Consortium (Now Soon Someday) Rockin Oizo in my car. I recently completed the Godflesh back-catalog and Techno Animal makes my jaw drop everytime I listen. Plastikman when I get home from work along with a couple drinks (well the drinks are always nice when listening to any body electronic or just not on the radio/mtv) Monolake, SpeedyJ, Scape records(Pole and friends) Basic Channel I need to move to Berlin :roll: Meat Beat Manifesto, Autechre, Aphextwin, Boards-o-Canada, Pre-fuse73, Scorn and anything from impossible records. I luv dub. ALL Drum n Bass, especially the planet of drums crew. Wax Trax, Skinny Puppy saw them in D.C. for their Greater wrong of right tour omfg best live perfermance ever. Fantomas, Melvins, Painteens. Death metal/Grind core Relapse Records, their experimental label Resound is cool to=Harsh noise/power electronics Merzbow, Dissecting table. God I could on till I die.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:43 am

Can't say what my influences really .
I have a pretty broad taste in music.
Fave's at the moment are -
Lillies - Arovane (I can't recommend this enough)
Blemish - David Sylvian
Life Forms & Dead Cities - Future Sound of London
Trickle - Olive
First Take - Roberta Flack
Low - Bowie Eno
() - Sigour Ros
Kid A - RadioHead
Bjork - Vespertine
GoPlastic -SquarePusher
Orbital - Blue Album (and the very last) :(
Been listen to alot of Peter Gabriel ,Cage ,EttaJames and Bach also lately.
Throw in a bit of Cabaret Voltaire ,YellowMagicOrchestra and PinkFloyd and that's pretty much what I've been flogging to death as of late.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Meffy

Post by Meffy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:37 pm

At the moment, one of the Rachmaninoff piano concerti. Couldn't tell you which.

Next it might be Frank Zappa and the Mothers, or Three Mustaphas Three, or the B-52s, or The Who, or Peter Tosh, or One Ring Zero, or Ramones, or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, or Vangelis O. Papathanassiou, or Booker T and the MGs, or Yes, or Barry White, or... heh... pretty near anything. =^_^=

Meffy

5dots

Post by 5dots » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:44 pm

m83, cyann and ben, eno's ambient work, stars of the lid, at the drive in, anti-pop consortium, the apples in stereo, the shins, ok go... that's just the last week, i think.

mostly m83 has been blowing my mind. they're really awesome.

genshi

Post by genshi » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:58 pm

Dang FaX-01, almost exactly what I'm listening to as well (except for the Roberta Flack). Heavily on David Sylvian's Blemish and add to that list:

Apparat
Deru
Christian Kleine
Plaid's Double Figure
haujobb's Solution's For A Small Planet
The new Skinny Puppy CD (missed this tour but saw them two previous times... and Cevin Keys lives right around the corner from me! WooHoo!!)
Yann Tiersen's soundtrack to Amelie
Kate Bush's The Dreaming

... and 10 GB of other random stuff on my iPod.

:)

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:03 pm

I've been listening to loads of Chris Morris lately. Can't seem to shake it off. It's triphop and ambient music and comedic satire, or what we music journalists call ambicomedy.

generic

Post by generic » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:03 pm

yo suburbanbather your post has lots of my favorites. i don't listen to grindcore or metal so much anymore, but all others u mentioned are great. some discs i have been listening to are...

Dandy Warhols - welcome to the monkeyhouse

RJd2 - since we last spoke

The Clash - i made one huge playlist in itunes useing 2 compilation discs

the new Beastie Boys - have u heard the just blaze remix of ch check it out? way better than the album mix

Kanye West - the college dropout

the Jimmy Castor Bunch - 16 slabs of funk

those are my current favorites. i have been listening to less experimental music lately. so most choices are more mainstream. but i might make a second post to cover the weirder stuff i'm into.

later
e

reading all the posts so far i have to say, live users seem to have good taste in music. diverse too.
powerbook G4 667mhz 768mb of ram
mac os10.2.8
digidesign m-box
live4.0.1 reason2.5 protools6.1.2

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:21 pm

Well im into a lot of stuff at the moment, broad range of stuff:

woody87

Post by woody87 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:27 pm

sorry that unfinished post was mine.

Iv been listnening to Sashas Involver compilation which is awesome and was made in Ableton and Logic rewired which is an amazing remixed dj compilation.

There is also a lot of great new progressive trance coming out whihc has definately caught my ear and some of the use of sounds is amazing.

Iv also been listneing to Moby - Play a lot, aswell as Maroon5s album and Kanye West - The college dropout.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

noyes

Post by noyes » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:04 pm

only one record to listen to at the moment

TEAM DOYOBI - choose your own adventure

this might be the greatest record every made.
and it's got really really good artwork too!!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:10 pm

just got back from the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival in Okemah, Oklahoma... my mind was blown by the profound power of the song... a river of melody and words flowing through the generations, constantly mutating through its diverse expression by diverse people. Hundreds of songs that everyone knows touching on every facet of human experience... everyone connected through that shared connection so that you have an 18 year old punk jamming with a 45 year old hippie and a 75 year old Dust Bowl-era guy with more songs in his head than lines on his face. Truly inspiring, and makes me miss such a amazing community gathering for electronic musicians... and longing to reconcile song with abstract rhythm and techsture of most electronic music. ahh....
Psytrance: Hallucinogen, X-Dream, Juno Reactor, KoxBox, Shpongle, Moontribe, DJ Brian, I/O
Organic: Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, mid-era Flaming Lips, Polvo, Nirvana, Metallica, Samael, Death, Samhain, gamelan, Beethoven, silence
Other: Aphex Twin, Autechre, NASA's Symphony of the Planets, Merzbow, FSOL, DJ Shadow, Fridge, Birchville Cat Motel
Last edited by ethios4 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:43 pm

king tubby

'nuff said

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:15 pm

Arovane! I've only heard Atol Scrap which has the coolest opening track ever, its like being shot out of a cannon and into hyperspace. On the new Beastie Boys I've only heard ch ch check it out on the radio. My cd player in my car is wearing out sometimes it won't take my cd and I have take the face plate off and on repeatedly or sometimes just wait until it feels like taking my cd and thats the only time I listen to the radio. I like it when they play Beastie Boys, Tool, NIN, Marylin Manson,White Zombie, Nirvanna, Sub-Lime, Smashing Pumpkins the only problem is that they only play the singles from these artists. Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, and Back Sabbath are always good to hear whenever current music is getting tired. King Tubby, I have not taken the opportunity to famerialize myself with original Dub. Electronic Dub is what turned me on to that style. Everyone has heard Bob Marley but I've read and heard from people that Lee Scratch Perry and King Tubby is were its at! The first four Orb albums never cease to amaze me Blue room is awsome. Any body like Digital Hardcore ala Alec Empire (Atari Teenage Riot without the stupid and annoying yelling and screaming) Bomb20, Christoph De Babalon. How's The new Sasha album? Anything like Airdrawndagger? I read a interview he did for Remix mag. He totally glorifies Live3. 8)

jesse

new stuff

Post by jesse » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:22 pm

AGF, Rob Levit, Vladislav Delay, FSOL, Laswell