Loading one live set into another

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
hugolp

Loading one live set into another

Post by hugolp » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:19 pm

Hi!

I use Live in live gigs. I use samples to construct the song live and in a different way everytime. But I dont play one song, stop, and start playing the next one. I mix them together. And also, I dont mix them always in the same order. It depends on the mood of the people I decide to go for a different song every time. The problem is that I have to load all the samples of the song everytime and then order them how I like, and can not be changing the music while doing so (and it takes a while in a live situation).

So the perfect way would be to save all the samples of a song as a Live set and then load it while still playing the other set. But as far as I know you cant do that, because when you open a Live set, the other stops playing. And I cant create a Live set with all my songs and samples because I usually play for two hours or more and use a lot of songs and samples.

I tryed opening two Live in the same computer and Rewire one into another but had weird results.

Anybody can help? If it is not posible it would be a great feature for the next Live version

thanks

Hugo

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:04 am

Agreed

lanquarem

Same for me : I would like to be able to mix my livesets

Post by lanquarem » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:16 am

The only workaround I have found is not very funny : I 've put a version of all my sets on Acid, and I alternate between the two softs... each one directed to a different audio output of my soundcard.

I would really like to be able to do my concerts with Live only.

Let me dream : When I want to play a new liveset, I just click on it and it appears in a second tab, letting the previous one play without any change, while a big floating crossfader appears on the top of my screen to let me play with my two sets.

Oh please Mr Ableton !

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:29 am

A workaround I'm already considering for a long time here , is getting a KaosPad and use it to :

1/ midi ctrl X/Y
2/ efx
3/ Sample upto the last 15 sec of your set ,play them through the KP while changing sets ...
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Samples in Kaoss Pad

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:33 am

Unfortunately, with the Kaoss Pad you cannot sample more than 6 seconds... and it is not always easy to make your sample loop perfectly.

For the other uses, it is a real killer. Could not leave without mine.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:39 am

Yeah, you're r8 should have checked the specs first ;-)
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Joost

Post by Joost » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:12 am

It would be fantastic if there was a way to load a new set without having to stop the audio.

I would allready be very happy when i would put for example playing the last 4 measures stticly in set A (in a buffer or something) while loading set B

The crossfaader idea is even more genial (i hope there will be one day that this become's reality but i doubt that'll be in the next 1 or 2 versions)

Atom808

workaround

Post by Atom808 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:44 pm

I think the Kaoss pad version 2 has more sample time. 23 seconds, maybe(?)

Another workaround for creating a continuous live set, use two laptops!

_Atom
Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz 1 GB RAM / MOTU 828
OS X 10.3.4 / Cubase SX 2 / Ableton Live
//musicaElectronica
www.melange.org//

Atom808

import (part of) a live set into another live set...

Post by Atom808 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:48 pm

... this would be very helpful! Not just for live performance but in general for working with Live.

How about the ability to import/export one track only, or an entire set? It's really just a time saver. A big one though. As is, you merely have to save your FX settings, and either write down or take a screenshot of what you have. You can export a clip with loop points and all params right? I never really do this anyway, for some reason. I often do a "SAVE AS" from an old set to use as the beginning of a new set though, then deleting any extraneous samples.

_Atom
Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz 1 GB RAM / MOTU 828
OS X 10.3.4 / Cubase SX 2 / Ableton Live
//musicaElectronica
www.melange.org//

Soviut

Post by Soviut » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:52 am

Sounds like Set Nesting might be the next big thing? The idea makes sense, although I'm not sure if it would break the Live paradigm or not. It would be cool to create a complex set, then bring it into another set as though it were a sample, slice it up and arrange it. If you want to change something in the original set, like, say, the kick drum is too loud, simply go back and change it, and the update could happen automatically in the new file without having to export, import or reslice anything.

The feature would be similar to the nested movieclips approach that Flash uses.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:53 pm

This is just another workaround -- I agree that seamless loading of the next set would be fine -- but you could for example use Reason as a filler between the sets, sync:ed with ReWire... --Kent

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:55 pm

kent_sandvik wrote: but you could for example use Reason as a filler between the sets, sync:ed with ReWire... --Kent
--but doesn't loading a new live set mean stopping playback? That would also mean stopping anything rewired to live, wouldn't it? :?
Cheers,
Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:38 am

Ouch, yes you are right, I forgot that the Rewire slave will stop when loading a bank... testing it out... Yes, even more, the Reason channel is blown out when loading the new set... Oh well. --Kent

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:35 am

i've heard of folks creating filler material, generally ambient noise type stuff that doesn't require sync, and playing it back in itunes while changing live sessions, just so folks have something to listen to. the downfalls to this being, that if your live set takes a little too long to load, you might end up with some dead air. you would also need to make several files in order to keep up the variety.

k

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:51 pm

hey check it out
cut and paste one set into the next
i use live live and have like 100 sceens inside a HUGE live set
it works flawless then you can go in any order as you see fit to hit the crowd...
um maybe im giveing 2 much away