Create "Group" from track selection

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
VenTon

Post by VenTon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:40 am

+ :!:

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:27 am

Soma wrote::cry: :oops: :evil:
Didn't make it into Live 7 I guess :cry:
No it didnt despite the numerous threads asking for this feature including this one. But Ableton said they added in the most requested features. Its a bitter pill to swallow they have added in sidechain my second most wanted feature but that feature really needs safe solo when your working with multiple sidechained audio signals. A sidechained audio track or key signal should be automatically soloed when hitting either source but imagine you have both those also going to general compressed subgroups that means having to hunt and click four tracks just to hear one sound. Version 8 is another year away :roll:
HA HA HA :twisted:

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:02 am

mercyplease wrote:
No it didnt despite the numerous threads asking for this feature including this one. But Ableton said they added in the most requested features. Its a bitter pill to swallow they have added in sidechain my second most wanted feature but that feature really needs safe solo when your working with multiple sidechained audio signals. A sidechained audio track or key signal should be automatically soloed when hitting either source but imagine you have both those also going to general compressed subgroups that means having to hunt and click four tracks just to hear one sound. Version 8 is another year away :roll:
Hi,

I have to clear things up a bit:

- In Live 7, if 3 tracks feed another via their "audio to" chooser, soloing one of these three tracks will not mute the "bus" track, and soloing the "bus" tracks will not mute any of the three other ones.

- If you set the side-chain input of a device to "post-fx" the signal will reach the side-chain input even if you solo the track containing the side-chain device, or mute the track sending to the side-chain.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:01 am

Amaury wrote:
mercyplease wrote:
Hi,

- In Live 7, if 3 tracks feed another via their "audio to" chooser, soloing one of these three tracks will not mute the "bus" track, and soloing the "bus" tracks will not mute any of the three other ones.

- If you set the side-chain input of a device to "post-fx" the signal will reach the side-chain input even if you solo the track containing the side-chain device, or mute the track sending to the side-chain.

Regards,
Amaury
Oh that is interesting and rather pleasing actually. why didnt anyone mention this before. i really should get on that Beta testing to check this out.

amuray i wanted to mention something thats rather strange. i have an instance of battery running and as usual I send drums to spe outs. When I solo one of those drum channels i cant hear it unless I also solo the main battery channel. but on this one session im currently working on when I solo batterys kik which is sent to its own channel I can hear it. i dont need to solo battery i just click the bass drum channel and i can hear it as if it were a normal vst or audio track. This has never happened before to my knowledge
do you know whats causing this im not complaining its a great thing but it is only the kik drum channel this happened with.
HA HA HA :twisted:

crushtest

Post by crushtest » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:23 pm

great idea

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:53 pm

mercyplease wrote:
Amaury wrote:
mercyplease wrote: No it didnt despite the numerous threads asking for this feature including this one. But Ableton said they added in the most requested features. Its a bitter pill to swallow they have added in sidechain my second most wanted feature but that feature really needs safe solo when your working with multiple sidechained audio signals. A sidechained audio track or key signal should be automatically soloed when hitting either source but imagine you have both those also going to general compressed subgroups that means having to hunt and click four tracks just to hear one sound. Version 8 is another year away :roll:
Hi,

Regards,
Amaury
Oh that is interesting and rather pleasing actually. why didnt anyone mention this before. i really should get on that Beta testing to check this out.

amuray i wanted to mention something thats rather strange. i have an instance of battery running and as usual I send drums to spe outs. When I solo one of those drum channels i cant hear it unless I also solo the main battery channel. but on this one session im currently working on when I solo batterys kik which is sent to its own channel I can hear it. i dont need to solo battery i just click the bass drum channel and i can hear it as if it were a normal vst or audio track. This has never happened before to my knowledge
do you know whats causing this im not complaining its a great thing but it is only the kik drum channel this happened with.
Hi,

You've certainly got the second drop-down menu of the "audio from" section (in the I/O view) set to "pre-fx" or "post-fx", which means the signal is tapped before the mixing stage of the track holding the Battery plugin. So that when soloing the track receiving the kick, it mutes the track holding Battery, but not the instrument itself..

In Live 7, there's an alternative way to do that, allowing to use a single track to send MIDI (so the tracks contain MIDI clips) and receive Audio to/from a plugin on another track, or a Rewire slaves, using the External Instrument. The fact that it's all on the same track can help in areas such as freezing or latency matters, amongst others.

About solo, this, is new: if the "audio to" chooser of a track A goes to another "sub-mix track" (typical case of x tracks go to one), the sub-mix track won't be muted if you solo track A, and soloing the sub-mix track won't mute A either. This was not possible in Live 6.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

brunob

Post by brunob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:11 pm

+1, and thanks for the great screen shots to the person who took time to do them, they illustrate perfectly what this feature could or should be.

I didn't bother reading all the other messages (10 pages, whew!) but I'd say at least, this group track would be a simple "visual" enhancement, meaning it provides no feature at all other than "decluttering" the interface, and at best it should provide some features on its own, like a bus track when you can apply effects, EQ, automation, etc on all the tracks that are in that group.

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:39 am

Yeah I'm pretty proud of those. :D
Last edited by Soma on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:07 pm

bump bump bump BUMP

:cry:

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:45 pm

brunob wrote:+1, and thanks for the great screen shots to the person who took time to do them, they illustrate perfectly what this feature could or should be.

I didn't bother reading all the other messages (10 pages, whew!) but I'd say at least, this group track would be a simple "visual" enhancement, meaning it provides no feature at all other than "decluttering" the interface, and at best it should provide some features on its own, like a bus track when you can apply effects, EQ, automation, etc on all the tracks that are in that group.
I'm not even all that worried about the screen real estate aspect. It's the group launch and stop buttons I'm really after. It would make complex live sets so much better to handle. That's why I'm always bumping these threads. It's a live performance feature, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:02 pm

bømp

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:14 pm

i didn't read all the thread but i think it could be a great idea.
specially to solve the problem of multichannels soundfiles.
and so to link the edit mode to several clips.

Soma

Post by Soma » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Haven't tried Live 7 yet. But I still would like to have this because the new features in 7 only help for drums and aren't as general an encapsulation concept.
I can't even imagine the crazy stuff people will do with grouping groups 8O

Philippe_Michael

Post by Philippe_Michael » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:13 am

+11111111

This ain't even in Live7

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:43 am

I'm also very disappointed that such a needed feature did not make it into Live 7.

I'm adding my support.