LAME ABLETON LAME

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 am

if u werent a cheapskate u may get laid n relieve some stress

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:24 am

Wow... tense thread.
No matter, though.

You have three options...

Ableton Support:
I contacted Ableton support and let them no that my copy of 5.2.2 (Intel ready) wouldn't authorize using my 5.0 serial number.
They sent me an email apologizing for the trouble, and included a new serial number. Didn't charge me a thing.
It's worth a try (but be polite in the email... if you bitch at them overtly, they'll likely drop your email on the floor).

bootcamp:
Another thing that someone's already mentioned, if you have a spare copy of XP around, is to bootcamp. It works great (and yes, 5.2.2 does actually perform marginally better on the Windows side of the house... oddly enough).
If you don't have a spare copy of XP, the OEM license will cost you about $90, so personally I wouldn't do that, unless you have some other compelling reason to get XP. I mean, the Live 6 upgrade (download) is $120. Why spend $90 to keep Live 5 working?

Upgrade to Live 6, and get Live 7 download free:
If your new Intel Mac is dual core, this is by far the best option. Live 5 doesn't efficiently utilize both cores, but Live 6 does, and 7 will too.
Given that its only $60 more to take this option, and you end up with Live 7 once its released, it's the most economical choice.

IIRC - If you pay the $120 for the Live 6 download, you get the Live 7 download free OR the Live 7 boxed for $40 (with the extras that the box has). That's a pretty good deal, and the one I'm about to take.

I know its frustrating to have to pay for what appears to be a compatibility update. I was frustrated too, particularly with Apple charging for it themselves (which seemed a bit double-jeopardy to me: buy a new Mac, we get money, but now buy UB updates for the Apple you want to use, we get MORE money).
Unfortunately, I think by doing this, Apple set a standard that everyone else who ported apps to UB followed (many at least).

But, bear in mind that it was a hardware change, not a software one, that led to the need to port. The only way you would be hit is if you bought the new hardware. Live 5 continued working on all the systems it was designed for. (At least they actually did the work. Spectrasonics to this day hasn't ported Atmosphere or Trilogy over, nor will they at this point. But I would have happily paid to have been using those two for the past year).

From a development perspective, it wasn't a patch... it was a port, and ports cost money to develop and test properly (considerably more than patching an otherwise working system).

Annoying or not, it's a long dead issue. The Intel Macs are long since the norm, and version 5 is about to be 2 versions old. It's not, IMHO, worth $50 to prop it up.

Ask, and you might get it free.
Or, take one of the other two options.

Either way, good luck with it,
- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

dango

Post by dango » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:02 am

F: You're also a whiney little bitch

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:14 am

IRON MAIDEN

ilia

Post by ilia » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:11 am

smutek wrote:IRON MAIDEN
ok, I'm locking this thread now, yes?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 am

Buy the 6 upgrade and realize how much faster Live runs on your new C2D. Then you'll realize that perhaps it was worth the price of admission.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Igor L wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:A: You got a +$1000 computer for free, and you are upset a developer wants to charge you $50 because they had to rewrite their code for the new architecture???? Apple themselves charged $45 for Logic UB compatibility, and no, I did not get $45 off of the upgrade to Logic 8. Other companies did worse and simply did UB compatibility by having you pay for an entire upgrade.

B: The $50 is deducted from your upgrade to 6 like he said. Seeing as how Live 7 is just around the corner, I would think you might possibly want to jump ahead two upgrades for the price of one, and maybe split the cost.

C: Once again, you got a really expensive gift, and are sitting here calling people names because you have to pay the price of taking your girl out to dinner for I'm sure over 100 hours worth of work on the part of a relatively small company.

D: Clue, almost NOBODY gave away the upgrade to UB! Ableton at least give you a discount on future purchases for charging you.

E: You have to be a kid? maybe 19?
you forgot...

hehehe

ShenShenDrax

Post by ShenShenDrax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:50 pm

Igor L wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:A: You got a +$1000 computer for free...

B: The $50 is deducted from your upgrade to 6...

C: Once again, you got a really expensive gift, and are sitting here calling people names...

D: Clue...

you forgot...

+1

This is kind of the forum for people who are fans of Ableton.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:51 am

ShenShenDrax wrote:
Igor L wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:A: You got a +$1000 computer for free...

B: The $50 is deducted from your upgrade to 6...

C: Once again, you got a really expensive gift, and are sitting here calling people names...

D: Clue...

you forgot...

+1

This is kind of the forum for people who are fans of Ableton.
Give me an A
Give me a B....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:26 am

one ana two ana...........

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:00 am

Hahahahaha.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams