Pro Tools has a dongle

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:I have a dongle and no input :lol:
Well I have a dongle and one output... and I'd like to keep it that way thank you. :D

Meanwhile here's another tiny solution with an input, $39.95

9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:05 pm

noisetonepause wrote:* Mbox 2 Micro features analogue outputs only. For a Pro Tools LE analogue recording solution, check out the Mbox 2 Mini, or another member of the Mbox 2 or 003 families.

This is a joke. I'm 99% sure this is a $2 USB soundcard like you can get from so many other places, but with a special Device ID to match the Magic Digidesign Audio Driver... It is beyond pathetic that Digidesign haven't just made their software compatible with Core Audio and ASIO, it's a completely artificial restriction. I honestly don't understand why anyone gives that company their money.

+1 it's total BS

and then when your soundcard gets old... they don't support it anymore.. meaning you cant use your old digi products with new versions of PT software..
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:21 pm

I will love the day when Digi is out of business. It has to happen one day. All great empire's eventually fall. They are already outmatched in audio recording. If you don't think so, then read this:

http://www.clynemedia.com/Intel_profile ... Sides.html

They are on their way out. It's just a matter of time before the powers that be realize that they are not the only game in town anymore.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:54 pm

The "dongle" should be something like a $49 add-on that existing Pro Tools users can buy to mix on the go. The assumption is that anyone who would buy this is already an HD or LE owner, so why not just sell it for less than $50?

As more and more studios get less and less business because musicians don't need to pay $350/hr for Pro Tools sessions, Digi will dissolve away. It will happen slowly of course. Avid will probably sell Digi before Digi winds up declaring bankruptcy.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:01 pm

sqook wrote:Actually that's a pretty cool little device. It's just the price that's ridiculous...
It's a crappy audio interface that you can only use with one host? How is that 'pretty cool'?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Digi who?? Pro foolz who ?? bah! high priced over rated rubish :!:
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:19 pm

You can say I was suckered in ....
but then again I knew I was dealing with the sleaziest of the sluts...

the point is my Ableton 6 money went to digi because I _Just_Had_ to acquire Strike virtual drummer instrument.

I now have Strike, and must say the instrument has met my _great_ expectations, and I find it pretty amazing. It was developed by their AIR branch, which seems to be the only fresh thing without rancid smell from their side. BFD, Battery, etc. don't satisfy me.

This is not about that. This is about my new lock-in. I would like to break away from them as host... but there are complications;
New macbook, good. No PCI, bad. my PT is M-Powered, so to run it interface must be M-A (shhhhh, don't say their name out loud). Even though I would like one of the new Apogees or something sweeter, maybe Firewire400 compatible....

Do you have any advice..?
the PCI enabled little host, is aged and can handle Strike _and_only_ strike. As soon as I throw Ethno at it or anything else it chugs and just buries my workflow....
Man, an 8x8 delta LT seems like such a waste to be used as an instrument only don't you think.

[thought this micro thing would be just the ticket... thank god for the Mexican in this thread, as he made me see the light]

-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:08 am

mike holiday wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:* Mbox 2 Micro features analogue outputs only. For a Pro Tools LE analogue recording solution, check out the Mbox 2 Mini, or another member of the Mbox 2 or 003 families.

This is a joke. I'm 99% sure this is a $2 USB soundcard like you can get from so many other places, but with a special Device ID to match the Magic Digidesign Audio Driver... It is beyond pathetic that Digidesign haven't just made their software compatible with Core Audio and ASIO, it's a completely artificial restriction. I honestly don't understand why anyone gives that company their money.

+1 it's total BS

and then when your soundcard gets old... they don't support it anymore.. meaning you cant use your old digi products with new versions of PT software..
+++1

Not only do they kill of older interface's (001) they also kill off the possibility of using the 001 within a newer OS with other software via non supported coreaudio drivers.

I HATE their Business practice's and will NEVER give them another dollar of mine.

Death to Digidesign :twisted:
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

thumperjack

Post by thumperjack » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:I have a dongle and no input :lol:
damn. beat me too it.

i have an academic discount.
aburgener wrote:don't include me in your stupid fucking bitchfest because i made two posts about kebabs.
MBP-UB 17" 3.06 C2D, 4 gig RAM, Live 7.0.10, MOTU ultralite
guitarrig/ezdrummer/sd2.0/automat/battery/reaktor/massive/absynth

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:28 pm

Somewhere, someone just spent $280 on a piece of hardware worth $50.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:30 pm

the_planet wrote:Somewhere, someone just spent $280 on a piece of hardware worth $50.
It *might* be worth $50 (and as of today's rates, how much is that, anyways) if laptops didn't come with headphone outputs already... cos it really does not do anything that your average laptop doesn't already do.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:08 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
the_planet wrote:Somewhere, someone just spent $280 on a piece of hardware worth $50.
It *might* be worth $50 (and as of today's rates, how much is that, anyways) if laptops didn't come with headphone outputs already... cos it really does not do anything that your average laptop doesn't already do.
IT RUNS PROTOOLS!!!!

*creams pants*

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:50 pm

before i bought a mac, i tried to run pt on my pc. not happening. couldnt use my mbox2 with it, and the software wasnt gettin in. i dont like cubase, and sonar is alright... but now? i have a mac, AND logic has dropped in price big time. the only thing i like about my mbox2 is the mix knob. pt is kinda lame, in that half the plugins need a dongle, the program needs a dongle or interface of their choosing. every time i open pt, i have to close down, unplug my mbox2 because the inputs wont record, instead showing something in the vu display, even when there is nothing coming in, and ssometimes if you moniter this, noise attacks you. funny thing is the direct monitering signal is fine. retarded. i just want to be able to record multiple vocs, one right after another, which can be done in live, but a "standard" seq is much easier for these kind of tasks. so i do not regret learning a bit about tools, may come in handy someday, but i am ditching the mbox, and jumping on the logic bandwagon, where i can choose the interface i want, with no dongle, and i dont even need an interface with my macbookpro on the go...

learn protools. it cant hurt. but to get it because its the "indusry standard"? no thanks. leave that retarded hd crap for people who have nothing better to do than blow copious amounts of other peoples money in their high up the rear end studios. me? i just want to make music, and protools does not help much in this regard.

they are the ss of recording, and avid is the furor. do as they say, or else...

i hope no one buys this piece of crap. if you do, would you be willing to buy a piece of mine? ill sell it for $25, and leave it on your doorstep tonight. hell, youll probably have more fun with that then pro tools.
suckers...(wouldnt know unless i was one..)

i bet the da conversion is horrible. who thought this up? hopefully this is digis iceberg.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:20 pm

there is quite a software package with it really

you don't think your gonna get pro tools le for $50 bucks do ya?

protools should work with all soundcards..bottom line

that's where their shady tactics come into play

thats why this is truly just a dongle for PT... lets you use your LE setup away from your studio
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:35 am

[quote="mike holiday"]
there is quite a software package with it really

you don't think your gonna get pro tools le for $50 bucks do ya?
[/quote]

Well, I think hardly anyone would get this this because of the features and audio quality of the converter of this piece of hardware junk.

As someone on gearslutz said - if you have no other version of Pro Tools then it is useless because you cannot record with it. If you have another version of ProTools then you have the software and it is overprized.

Overprized or useless......

Well, second hand it might get interesting ....

best