Pryda style basslines

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
stesmith

Pryda style basslines

Post by stesmith » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:04 am

Does anybody know what instruments Eric Prydz (pryda) uses to create his basslines, like on tracks such as 'knockout' and 'remember' and his leads like on tracks such as 'hoodpecker.'

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:37 am

6 letters 1 word

ANALOG

Can't tell exactly which one... but I'd be willing to bet its an analog modular of some sort.

nicka

Post by nicka » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:58 pm

check out the new future music mag with a video interview with steve angello, not a fan of there stuff but he was using a jupiter v8 plugin
Macbook 2.16 C2D - Ozonic - BCF 2000 - Allen & Heath xone 32 - Technics 1210's mk3 - and a badger

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:09 pm

slight reverb and flanger plus heavy compression layered simple waveforms of analog synths......probably

abletonian

Post by abletonian » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:32 pm

3rdordertrauma wrote:6 letters 1 word

ANALOG

Can't tell exactly which one... but I'd be willing to bet its an analog modular of some sort.
superstitious idot = believer = you

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:16 am

abletonian wrote:
3rdordertrauma wrote:6 letters 1 word

ANALOG

superstitious idot = believer = you
Please mate... were you trying to spell "idiot"? You're almost there man keep trying!

I guess next you'll tell me software sounds the same as true analog? Have you ever owned a true analog synth? Nothing to do with superstition my friend.

My suggestion here is, unless you've got useful knowledge or information to share with the community or would care to make a valid knowledge/research based argument regarding your statements or beliefs then why don't you save your comments for the playstation forum or maybe post them up on your refrigerator to remind yourself of what a nuisance you are.

abletonian

Post by abletonian » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:04 pm

prophanity
Last edited by abletonian on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willnana

Post by willnana » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:26 pm

D Ramirez said on a video that Eric uses the side chain a lot. I guess he has mastered that to get those wicked pumping basslines.

MrTiddles

Post by MrTiddles » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Sounds like he's using Surge.....
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Don´t know Prydz so much, but does it sound like that?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lBNveKGyI24

willnana

Post by willnana » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:47 pm

mr.adl wrote:Don´t know Prydz so much, but does it sound like that?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lBNveKGyI24
Not even close to Prydz sounding.

stesmith

Post by stesmith » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:07 pm

whats side chain?
il have to start looking round for different VSTi's

bleepsnbreaks

Sidechain

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Sidechain literally means an effect that has a "side" input so that you can feed a signal in to modulate the effect.

Usually when people refer to side chain they are refering to sidechain compression.

In this instance it would be used on a bassline and with a the feed of a drum beat into the sidechain so that when it "kicked" it would activate the compression, effectively lowering the signal of the bassline.

This is used alot for "ducking" so that you dont have your kick drum and you bassline at full volume at the same time, clearing up the lower frequencies in use by the bassline and kick at once, so that the kick have more "space" and sounds more defined.

When used with more aggressive settings the effect of this is a "pumping" sound used alot in electro and french house etc, where the bassline seems to surge in on the offbeat. You can achieve different kinds of feels with different attack, release, ratio etc. settings.
You can also achieve some really cool effects by using a sidechain on other things, like hi-hats and it works especially well on pads.

You dont have to use a sidechain source that is audible, in other words you dont have to route the sidechain source into your mix, if you dont then you can do some cool sidechain patterns that arent based around how you have your rhythm arranged.

Logic has a badboy and simple to use sidechain compressor and Live 7 has a sidechain on its compressor (about time) but I havent managed to get me a beta key yet so cant comment on how well it works or how easy it is to use.

Have a search around, theres LOTs of info around the net and also on this forum about sidechaining.

As for how to make the kind of bassline that Erik Prydz uses, he likely is using outboard analogue gear, but you can get those big phat basslines out of nearly any soft synth. its not so much in the synth but knowing how to engineer the sound you want, layering oscillators with the right waveforms in the right amounts etc.

Obviously you will get different results with different soft synths, as you do with different hardware synths doing the same thing, but understanding how the synth works is more important than trying to find a magic VST to make the sound you want. You are best learning one VST really well and then you will learn largely how they all work and be able to appreciate the differences between them.

I have started using Operator almost exclusively since buying it as Ive found I can get just about any sound I want out of it. The one other VST I use for basslines is called Chips32, its free and its a very simple wavetable synth. You can get some VERY phat square wave basslines out of that with minimal tweaking, some compression and reverb.

Hope some of my drivel has been of interest :)
My Tracks on MySpace

Progressive Mix demo(not mixed in Live, mixed with CDJs)

17" Macbook pro 2.4 | Live 6 + Operator

willnana

Post by willnana » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Ok, Eric's manager said uses Logic with all kinds of vst's only. No hard synths at all

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:28 pm

willnana wrote:Ok, Eric's manager said uses Logic with all kinds of vst's only. No hard synths at all
Are you sure about that? Logic can't use VST's only AU's. Do you mean "software" only and not specifically "VST's"?