BEST USB CONTROLLERS FOR ABLETON

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Mikael Adle

Post by Mikael Adle » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:53 am

Anyone tried the new Behringer line of controllers?

Anubis

Yes

Post by Anubis » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:00 pm

hugolp wrote:Hi!

Does anybody know if you can play clips on Live, by using the keys of a Midi keyboard?

Thanks
Yeah, the keys on your controller send out note on/off messages. Just click on the Midi button in Session view(upper right corner), click on a clip slot, press the key that you want to trigger that clip(you'll see a little number appear), repeat, click on the midi button again, and you're done. Good luck remembering which key triggers what clip :o
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

djkojent

Post by djkojent » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:25 pm

I just got an Edirol PCR-A30, I've had no problems, with it, it even has its own built in sound card. it doesnt have two seperate audio outputs though, one for master and one for cue, which is a downfall. otherwise i really enjoy it.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:51 pm

I just want one of these....regardless if it works with Live or not *grin*

http://web.media.mit.edu/~jpatten/audiopad/

hugolp

Re: this one looks goood

Post by hugolp » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Has someone tried Fader Fox controllers? They look good at the prize they have. Is it a safe company?

Hugo
molotovsystem wrote:dont think its usb though...
http://www.faderfox.de

hugolp

Re: Yes

Post by hugolp » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:54 pm

Jajajaja I guess so, but is the same using the keyboard and Im getting very tired of spending the whole gig with the mouse in my hand. I want freedom!!! I wanna move arround and dance, and enjoy playing!!!

Hugo

[quote="AnubisYeah, the keys on your controller send out note on/off messages. Just click on the Midi button in Session view(upper right corner), click on a clip slot, press the key that you want to trigger that clip(you'll see a little number appear), repeat, click on the midi button again, and you're done. Good luck remembering which key triggers what clip :o[/quote]

The new ultimate controller!!!

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:02 pm

Hi!

I study sound technology and I have to decide my final project in a week. I am convinced on doing a Midi controller for computer. Spceally for Live, but actually for any other software. I am thinking on a base module with expandeable modules for some characteristic that not everybody would want (or dont need at the moment, or dont have to use for an specific gig). If someone have any ideas send them to hugolp2@hotmail.com. I also will like to hear about the design and the look of it. Motor faders? LED?

Any suggestion or ideas? Send them to hugolp2@hotmail.com Now you can ask what you always wanted for your controller!

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:20 pm

Novation Remote 25 :) it kick's ass

D K

Post by D K » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:02 am

i second that
remote 25 is my first choice(for now)-but-
it works much better when connected via midi port as opposed to usb
dk

tfl309

Remote25 over USB vs/ over MIDI

Post by tfl309 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:19 pm

Why do you say that the Remote25 works better over MIDI? I'm really interested in buying one of these...

D K wrote:i second that
remote 25 is my first choice(for now)-but-
it works much better when connected via midi port as opposed to usb
dk

D K

Post by D K » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:34 pm

my band (3 laptops, we all use live and remote 25) and i all have experienced the same thing- occasional crackle and pop when using the usb connect (yes we have the most recent drivers installed) as well as very jumpy movement and sometimes exaggerated latency, especially with the x-y pad. when switching to midi port, the noise anomolies completely dissapear, the knobs and faders react much more smoothly,
the pad response increases ten fold. no more odd latency issues, either.
methinks it's a software issue, we all use mac so maybe that has a hand in it, although i was advised to try the midi port by a p.c. user who was experiencing the same problems. luckily, all of our interfaces have midi ports, so no additional hardware was necessary(except a midi cable)
an added bonus is that you don't have to reset your midi preference if you launch live without having powered up your keyboard.
i'd like to hear some other peoples experience with this scenario.
cheers
dk

krushing

Post by krushing » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:20 am

Has FaderFox been mentioned yet? Haven't tried 'em, but they claim they've optimized two of the available modules for Live (LV-1 & LX-1).