Vember Audio Shortcircuit is now freeware!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:09 pm

yep,

he made the new compressor

BLynx

Post by BLynx » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Wow, this is cool... and Surge is one of the best synths I ever played, they sould add it to Live (for free of course ;))

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:32 pm

Wow!

I actually paid for my copy a few years back. Brilliant sampler! This probably means that V2 will stay "beta" or v 0.5 forever. Too bad...

But what a treat to the community! 8O 8O 8O

-M

jah

Post by jah » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:44 pm

this thing (v1.1.1) is deep... and the filters are beautiful.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:27 pm

I'm on a mac,,, so it's only surge for me.
But whats the deal here,, do you just down load the demo and there are no restrictions?
or is there some other down load that i need to use? :?

EDIT: Okay,,
i just figured this out,,
SURGE isn't free,, only short circuit,, :cry:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:25 pm

8O

Having Shortcircuit available as freeware, it suddenly becomes even more difficult to justify paying $199 for a sampler which, admittedly, has a few other features to speak for itself but no support for multiple outputs or per-sample filters.

Seriously, for creative sampling, Shortcircuit is loaded with no-nonsense power. As an Ableton Sampler license owner, I recommend checking it out before deciding on a purchase.

This (and Claes working for Ableton!) might have a positive effect on getting Sampler features up to par, though :D

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:36 pm

so what about V2 ? is it beta or what ?
does it work ? is it stable ?
and what´s new ?
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:41 pm

It's alpha. I'd suggest using 1.1.2. Your mileage may vary, of course.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:52 pm

I wish he would give the community the opportunity to fix the existing bugs, add new features, and port it to new platforms themselves.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:02 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I wish he would give the community the opportunity to fix the existing bugs, add new features, and port it to new platforms themselves.
After seeing what Claes wrote on his decision, I pretty much agree:

"What I'm considering is discontinuing it from the product line, releasing it for free (v1 & v2) and let it live it's own life. Don't expect much in the way of support, but maybe there might be a small community growing up from it and I just might become more motivated."

Releasing it for free is really great, and I'm one of those people who are genuinely thankful for such a powerful sampling tool to be in the freeware domain. Still, it won't actually "live its own life" if it's both completely closed and barely supported.

But I'll still put emphasis on a big thank you in any case.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:31 pm

Coupe70 wrote: does it work ? is it stable ?
and what´s new ?
I've been discovering SC2 for a few hours today and absolutely no problems with Live, including recalling patches and assigning new database.
Modulation possibilities are just insane, the sound is awesome, the ergonomy is very well thought out. And no clicks when playing very bassy samples cutting each others on the same choke group, which is not the case of most samplers (including SC1, actually).

Shortcircuit makes Sampler look like an Akai S900, not even.
Maybe something to think about for Ableton...
Is Sampler going to be free in V8? Who cares now, anyway? Sampler doesn't even have independent amplitude envelopes for each sample...

SC2 makes me feel the same way as around the time of Live 3 and 4, top ergonomy, and the tools to play with random and generative modulation. If only Abes had continued in this spirit... Aaaaahh... Let's wait for V8, if it means the long awaited Cycling74 collaboration.
Meanwhile, SC2 gets me more excited and enthousiastic than the drumracks in Live7 :oops:
There's nothing like a good sampler.

This is absolutely wonderful...
Thank you Claes!

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Yeah look at wonderful ergonomic SC2 interface design! The interface design restrictions of Live instruments are really bad. But obviously they are thinking this is simplicity and therefore good :-(
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

bikesaremagic

Re: Vember Audio Shortcircuit is now freeware!!

Post by bikesaremagic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 am

Short circuit capability to pitch shift/timestretch across multiple notes makes it ohhhhh so much better than sampler, in my opinion.

Anybody had any luck getting ableton to recognize the samples being used in shortciruit and getting Ableton to pull them into project/live sets when you Manage Project Files? When I share projects with friends the samples used by shortcircuit get left behind

fx23

Re: Vember Audio Shortcircuit is now freeware!!

Post by fx23 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:19 am

cool, surge was already a masterpiece.