Bypass Windows - Direct into ABleton Live perhaps?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Bypass Windows - Direct into ABleton Live perhaps?

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 pm

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/11/phoenix#

"Phoenix says its new technology, HyperSpace, will offer mobile PC users the ability to instantly fire up their most used apps -- things like e-mail, web browsers and various media players -- without using Windows, simply by pressing the F4 button."

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:30 pm

There was a post on the forum a year or so ago about using Live as your OS. Obviously a bit different in execution but similar in result.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:11 pm

pulsoc wrote:There was a post on the forum a year or so ago about using Live as your OS. Obviously a bit different in execution but similar in result.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=shell

you dont mean this post do u?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:16 pm

roughly how would this work? or is the notion of the OS not being there a bit of an overstatement? take a sound application, it needs to get input from the user to play and stop and it needs to access the speaker. both require drivers or at least something to say that RAM is in this part of memory, the speaker is at this address, the touchscreen is over here, something has to play traffic cop. these days there isn't DOS to fall back on. something has to coordinate the bus at least.

dunno, thinking out loud here. damn kids and their OS-less OSes.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:roughly how would this work? or is the notion of the OS not being there a bit of an overstatement? take a sound application, it needs to get input from the user to play and stop and it needs to access the speaker. both require drivers or at least something to say that RAM is in this part of memory, the speaker is at this address, the touchscreen is over here, something has to play traffic cop. these days there isn't DOS to fall back on. something has to coordinate the bus at least.

dunno, thinking out loud here. damn kids and their OS-less OSes.
http://www.virtualization.info/2007/10/ ... s-own.html

low on specifics but i get the feeling HyperSpace will spawn virtual machines which can have their own OS ...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 pm

shawn, this is right up yer alley, mate!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:07 pm

sweetjesus wrote:http://www.virtualization.info/2007/10/ ... s-own.html

low on specifics but i get the feeling HyperSpace will spawn virtual machines which can have their own OS ...
so it's on the bios level, kinda makes sense, sorta, in the sense that I don't know enough to ask the next question.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm

The technique described a while back here wasn't actually using Live as an OS, but as a shell. Normally, when starting up, Windows launches explorer.exe, which is the interface between user and OS. It includes services and other shit specifically for Windows. Instead of launching explorer.exe, you just launched live.exe, and the computer would skip unnecessary stuff Windows needs, and the computer would boot directly into Live.

Cool concept if you are using a computer specifically for this.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:14 am

the_planet wrote:The technique described a while back here wasn't actually using Live as an OS, but as a shell. Normally, when starting up, Windows launches explorer.exe, which is the interface between user and OS. It includes services and other shit specifically for Windows. Instead of launching explorer.exe, you just launched live.exe, and the computer would skip unnecessary stuff Windows needs, and the computer would boot directly into Live.

Cool concept if you are using a computer specifically for this.
Sweetjesus' own program does that, the problem is all the services etc still load

I was thinking about this again the other day

if this new thing is like a version of sweetjesus that works out what drivers and services Live needs and installs nothing else then I am THERE!

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:17 am

sweetjesus wrote:
pulsoc wrote:There was a post on the forum a year or so ago about using Live as your OS. Obviously a bit different in execution but similar in result.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=shell

you dont mean this post do u?
O I am laughing my ass off!

dCross

Post by dCross » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:29 pm

David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com

forge

Post by forge » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:46 am

dCross wrote:more for you to gnaw on SJ: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... -boot.html
Phoenix's November 5 announcement that it will be bundling into the flash portion of their BIOS a fast-booting hypervisor that can quickly load a small selection of Linux-based applications
so where does this leave Live users wanting to use this kind of thing? Are these developments viable options for us in the future?

could we, for example, update the BIOS on our laptops and have a "widget" that just loads Live + the necessary drivers/kernels etc??

THAT would be a dream