[ot] I think I might be getting back into metal

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Librado wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
Librado wrote:ill nino
Omar Clavijo from Ill Nino was the person who got me into Live way back in version 2! He's a cool dude.

I'm not much of a fan of neu metal. I can dig me some thrash and speed metal sometimes. Neu metal not so much.
ill nino rocks out, are they still doing shows in the city?
I dunno. I used to work with Omar. He was like their on stage DJ and he would play with them and tour and stuff. He sort of put the Ill in Ill Nino. It was the kind of thing where they couldn't afford to bring him with them on every tour, so he had to do pick-up jobs when he wasn't touring.

I've never seen them live, but if Omar was playing with them I'd check it out.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:05 pm

two problems with your statement: not just getting into metal, but back into metal? um, no thx. somewhat kidding, of course, i've played my share of shows with serious metal, you can't deny the energy. though it makes me laugh now to think that a band like rush or even sabath was ever considered metal compared to how hard/agressive stuff is now (not that it's better than sweet leaf or yyz or whatever, but definitely louderish).

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:10 pm

dj superflat wrote:two problems with your statement: not just getting into metal, but back into metal? um, no thx. somewhat kidding, of course, i've played my share of shows with serious metal, you can't deny the energy. though it makes me laugh now to think that a band like rush or even sabath was ever considered metal compared to how hard/agressive stuff is now (not that it's better than sweet leaf or yyz or whatever, but definitely louderish).
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is still one of the heaviest songs. I wouldn't say that metall has gotten heavier, just harder and more bludgeoning. Slightly different feel than heavy you know?

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:04 pm

yeah, it's not about heaviness, but the fact that the sound/tonal quality of nu metal is soooooooooo much more agressive/obnoxious than old metal. e.g., sweet leaf is crazy heavy, but doesn't hurt your ears. i know, i'm just old, but listen to things that used to sound like noise and, by comparison to today's tracks, they sound totally musical (which is why i prefer them).

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 am

smutek wrote:Ever listen to Nailbomb?
Let me find out you're a fan of Nailbomb! :P Sum of your Achievements is the best song. The live album, Proud to Commit Commercial Suicide is just as good as the studio album.

fromthestart

Post by fromthestart » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:42 am

check out Haste The Day, As I Lay Dying, Still Remains, it dies today for some amazingly structured metal......

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:54 am

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:31 am

tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 am

FUCK YEAH METAL

Mastodon (the kings of the scene now), Nothingface, Pantera, Dimmu Borgir, Sepultura (max era), Machine Head, old Fear Factory, Samael, Messhuggah, Godflesh, Neurosis (close enough), Black Cobra, Daath, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, fuck, I could go on forever.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:20 pm

You know, I made what must almost be described as an effort to dig up new cool stuff, but didn't find anything as awesome as Vulgar Display of Power.

Which I am, incidentally, listening to right now.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 pm

the live cut of 'this love" on 101 proof is mad fresh, but yeah, vulgar display is fucking awesome. i wish i could have seen them in support of that album, but i was a bit young :) when i did see them, asswipo was a bloated, lazy, boring mess. but dime and vinnie rocked the fuck out of the joint... three beers for dime!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:13 am

:D

+1 for Decapitated, they sound like a more modern and technical Sepultura !!!! (that would have been crossed with bits of meshuggah for the polyrythmic stuff...)

my contribution would be to introduce you to 2 of the most interesting "metal" bands of the century:

MESHUGGAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc

STRAPPING YOUNG LAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMzit6DZrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPftHVzONo

WAS BORN METAL....
WILL DIE METAL !!!
Last edited by supamonsta on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

rapidix

Post by rapidix » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:17 am

i'm really into doom metal right now. swallow the sun and hanging garden. amazing bands.

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:25 am

Can't get any more metal than:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TozKEW_6wFg

My favorite ATM is Rotten Sound but they are grindcore...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atrGZ7f8M2I

roby

Post by roby » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:52 am