euros vs dollars in shop? not fair at all..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bartvd

euros vs dollars in shop? not fair at all..

Post by bartvd » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:44 pm

ok.
in the download section i can download `Live for 399 dollars.
this is 275 euros..
now when i proceed the process.. the price gets changed to 369 euros.
this is because i filled in my country, Netherlands.

i dont think this is fair. i am willing to pay 399 dollars.. that is what everybody has to pay.. 369 euro = 535 dollars

its my luck the euro is lower these days..
its a download,, no shipping costs. nothing..

why cant i just pay in dollars, and for once have a litte luck pricewise....?
macbook 2ghz, 2g ram. live 7
yamaha wx5/ akai ewi usb

bartvd

Post by bartvd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:44 am

since i am only downloading..
what will happen when i put a different country as my homecountry.
this way i can pay in dollars.
paying by creditcard,,downloading the software, no need for a correct shipping adres/country.
i think this shouldnt be a major problem. and should be legal.
i wil still be paying 399 dollars... which is the price for the rest of the world.
yamaha wx5/ akai ewi usb

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Not to do with Live but I'm currently wondering about some online pricing/payment systems too. It's not a lot of money but when the price you're asked to pay is different from that advertised and it's not a tax but some service fee or currency conversion you wonder, especially when converson's handled by the credit card AFAIK. A non-tax charge of 12-15% above the item price seems a bit steep to me.

benlowther

Post by benlowther » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:33 pm

I think it checks your IP address to check where you are! Annoying as I had this problem when I bought Live 6, got fed up in the end and paid the price for living in Britain and purchased in Euros.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:41 pm

They are legally obliged to add the VAT, and most of the European companies have special deals for US market, even some european hardware is cheaper there, plus the prices are not calculated according to daily exchange rates. If you want to profit from sinking dollar buy boxed version from US.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:47 pm

I felt the price was too high and simply shoped elsewhere... ebay to be exact! - after buying a second hand version (boxed) if you can get version 6 now and the seller transfers the licence u still get the free upgrade to 7... i got version 5 about this time last year and got the free upgrade.

bartvd

Post by bartvd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:22 pm

seems like it doesnt check my ip.. i can fill in an other country and the dollar price is back again.. seems like i can proceed and pay the 399 with my creditcard.

any consequences when i will fill in an other country?
yamaha wx5/ akai ewi usb

dCross

Post by dCross » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Mr Man wrote:I felt the price was too high and simply shoped elsewhere... ebay to be exact! - after buying a second hand version (boxed) if you can get version 6 now and the seller transfers the licence u still get the free upgrade to 7... i got version 5 about this time last year and got the free upgrade.
Just to clarify - this is not the case.

If you buy a copy of Live 6 from someone else, you should be able to transfer the license from the seller >> buyer. But that license transferral does not equal a new purchase.

In other words, if you buy a copy of Live 6 from another user (and not a retailer of some sort), your purchase will not be eligible for a free upgrade to Live 7.

If this happened in the past, it was likely a happy accident.
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32 pm

:oops:

So i got a used but un registered version then

hope no one jumped on it

Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 pm

More currency is traded EACH DAY than the entire World GDP for a YEAR.

Go figure.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 pm

This sucks! Americans are waging war all over the planet plus they suck at making decent Electronic music. They should be paying double not get a discount!
:D

D K

Post by D K » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:57 pm

djsynchro wrote:This sucks! Americans are waging war all over the planet plus they suck at making decent Electronic music. They should be paying double not get a discount!
apparently, you don't have to be an american to be an asshole :wink:

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 am

Teh real question is how the worldwide economy wants to deal with different currencies; It seems to me when the world is one market, there should be some way of paying the same price everywhere.

not the Ableton company their problem, its one we all have to deal with, as consumers and sellers.

Librado

Post by Librado » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:29 am

djsynchro wrote:This sucks! Americans are waging war all over the planet plus they suck at making decent Electronic music. They should be paying double not get a discount!
Correction: The us government is waging war all over the world. Or you could say the us government is murdering poor people all over the world for profit either one is fine by me. and as far as sucking at making decent elctronic music, everyone can have their own opinion but I think there are some great musicians from our side of the pond.

PS ive never killed anyone nor plan on waging war on anyone.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:23 am

Librado wrote:
Correction: The us government is waging war all over the world. Or you could say the us government is murdering poor people all over the world for profit either one is fine by me. and as far as sucking at making decent elctronic music, everyone can have their own opinion but I think there are some great musicians from our side of the pond.

PS ive never killed anyone nor plan on waging war on anyone.
Don't feed the trolls. :lol: