EXPORT LOOPS FROM SESSION VIEW

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Makes Sense?

Yes
75%
No
No votes
Maybe So
25%

Total votes: 8

j24keys

EXPORT LOOPS FROM SESSION VIEW

Post by j24keys » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:03 pm

:!: Some times user have over 40 loops in a session and want to render them just as loops to be used in another sessions. There is no easy render option for this.
Currently, I have to line them all up in arrangement view at the first bar and on separate tracks to get the result I want, but thats a problem when dealing with different length loops because Live will render them at the length of the longest. I consolidate feature doesn't always work with this either and its not a convenient way to do it. :cry:

:idea: What I am proposing is either an export clip option (mouse right-click) that will be available even when selecting multiple audio clips. As for midi, it should automically render "freeze" version of the clip. This will increase live productivity in loop creation. 8)
Live 7.0.10|Logic 8|Reason 4
Desktop#1: Core2 e6700|ASUS P5W DH|2GB RAM|E-MU1820M| XP Pro SP2
Desktop#2: Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8GHz|RME Multiface II + HDSPe (PCIe)
NoteBook:MBP 2.5GHz 4GB RAM Leopard(OSX 10.5.5)

j24keys

Post by j24keys » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Come on guys are you serious?

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:45 pm

I voted yes, but IMHO it should be more quick if also you could drag & drop the clip (or selected clips) into de browser view. That would be ever better.

j24keys

Post by j24keys » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Defintely. The drag and drop will work perfectly. Even it not to the desktop, at least to the file browser (When I try that now, its saves as an Ableton file rather than a wav, mp3, or aiff. This is frustrating :evil:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:40 am

I think there may be some improvement in this area in Live 7

We are trying to push for an option/modifier when dragging to the browser, to copy actual sample files (.wav .aiff )

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:16 pm

longjohns wrote:I think there may be some improvement in this area in Live 7

We are trying to push for an option/modifier when dragging to the browser, to copy actual sample files (.wav .aiff )
That are wonderful news, longjohns... cheer up!

Poster

Re: EXPORT LOOPS FROM SESSION VIEW

Post by Poster » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm

j24keys wrote::!: Some times user have over 40 loops in a session and want to render them just as loops to be used in another sessions. There is no easy render option for this.
Currently, I have to line them all up in arrangement view at the first bar and on separate tracks to get the result I want, but thats a problem when dealing with different length loops because Live will render them at the length of the longest. I consolidate feature doesn't always work with this either and its not a convenient way to do it. :cry:

:idea: What I am proposing is either an export clip option (mouse right-click) that will be available even when selecting multiple audio clips. As for midi, it should automically render "freeze" version of the clip. This will increase live productivity in loop creation. 8)
temp workarround;

freeze/flatten the clips you want to render,
in the browser; go to the set's folder> then go to folder 'Freeze',
drag those freeze wav's to another location,
hit undo 2 times to restore the original clips.. (to undo the freeze and flatten action),
clips rendered and stored..

dr.wackler

Re: EXPORT LOOPS FROM SESSION VIEW

Post by dr.wackler » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Poster wrote:temp workarround;

freeze/flatten the clips you want to render,
in the browser; go to the set's folder> then go to folder 'Freeze',
drag those freeze wav's to another location,
hit undo 2 times to restore the original clips.. (to undo the freeze and flatten action),
clips rendered and stored..
= Freeze, alt/option-drag clips to another track, unfreeze.

(Note though, that flattened clips are twice as long as the original clips.)

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm

aaah yes.. the flatten part is one step too much..

j24keys

Post by j24keys » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Exactly! The freeze/flatten double loop effect serves the necessary feature of preventing loops from sounding choppy from the end back to the start. I like it the way it is. However this should have nothing to do with exporting loops.

I shouldn't have to bear the lengthy process of freezing, flattenting, and re-cropping a flattened track when I simply want the loop that was perfect from time I set the length.

I hope Headquaters is taking notes. :)

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:03 am

Poster wrote:aaah yes.. the flatten part is one step too much..
Not only that. You don't have to deal with the browser at all.
It's simply a matter of alt/option-dragging clips from a frozen track to another track.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:17 am

j24keys wrote:Exactly! The freeze/flatten double loop effect serves the necessary feature of preventing loops from sounding choppy from the end back to the start. I like it the way it is. However this should have nothing to do with exporting loops.

I shouldn't have to bear the lengthy process of freezing, flattenting, and re-cropping a flattened track when I simply want the loop that was perfect from time I set the length.
I would be happy enough with is a mass 'Crop clip(s) at loop points' function in the right-click menu of clips in Session view, because the really tedious part is having to move the start marker of each clip after flattening / before cropping.

Another function I really miss is the possibility to mass consolidate individual clips in Session view as well as in Arrange view. I know, the term "consolidate" means "join", "append" or something, but it is common practice among many users to drag single clips to Arrange view to consolidate them. Why?
a) Because if you know the tempo of your set is fixed, and you want to use loops in Sampler/Simpler, you need the samples to be fixed at that tempo (since neither Sampler not Simpler offer timestretching). Consolidating single clips does serve that. Cropping doesn't, because the sample will keep its original tempo when being cropped.
b) Because if you know the tempo of your set is fixed, you can take a lot of CPU load off your processor by consolidating clips, especially when they were playing back in complex mode.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:12 am

dr.wackler wrote:
Poster wrote:aaah yes.. the flatten part is one step too much..
Not only that. You don't have to deal with the browser at all.
It's simply a matter of alt/option-dragging clips from a frozen track to another track.
agree..
but I thought the OP also wanted to store the wav's outside the Project folder to use in other sets..

because longjohns suggested
longjohns wrote:We are trying to push for an option/modifier when dragging to the browser, to copy actual sample files (.wav .aiff )