Bye bye LIVE, hello LOGIC! :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj_nimo

Post by dj_nimo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:43 pm

Logic for production is perfect bur Live is..... well..... for LIVE !!!
and logic can't beat it on that point...

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:24 pm

dj_nimo wrote:Logic for production is perfect bur Live is..... well..... for LIVE !!!
and logic can't beat it on that point...
Many guys here use Live as main DAW, IMHO it is perfect for someone who cares more about workflow and a uncluttered, neat and intuitive gui.

All main DAWs nowadays are absolutely complete solutions, but many of them lack of ergonomics, and just offers *too much* stuff to deal to. I like Live because i like things simple and straight: everything is in 1 window and almost everything is drag&drop, etc.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Live + Logic + Sonar + Project5
(insert your own combination here)

Why choose, when you can run them all? 8)

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:38 pm

inmazevo wrote:Live + Logic + Sonar + Project5

- zevo
:roll:

money? time?
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

coldrush

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Post by coldrush » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14 pm

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F :wink:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:53 pm

nate_D wrote:
inmazevo wrote:Live + Logic + Sonar + Project5

- zevo
:roll:

money? time?
Right, I don't want to waste time on my music, that would make it more complex and interesting or something? :P

Live + Logic + DP + Kore + (soon) Numerology
8)
Though it's possible I give up DP at some point here, in the same way Reason is no longer used. :?

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:10 pm

Different strokes...
I like picking the tool for my mood. They're not THAT expensive... cheaper than a crack habit, at least. :o

- zevo

(I was kidding, anyway...)
infinite density, zero volume

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm

For me...Live+Logic Studio+Korg Electribes+kaosspad3+Alesis Micron, and that's it... :D
Anyway...Live was...is...and will be the center of my set up.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:51 am

I buy Apple computers then install a cracked version of Logic on them just so I can drive my car over them then burn the individual fragments in a crematorium oven then take the ashes and flush them down the worst public toilet I can find

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:55 am

chrysalis33rpm wrote:
aisling wrote:
chrysalis33rpm wrote:You mistake me for someone who cares.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Today will be a great day, nothing stimulates me more than morning coffee (french pressed only with a few pinches of cardamon added, none of that diner drip shit) and some sarcasm. My wife does not seem interested in stimulating me these days :roll:
Did you know that in France they call a French Press an Italian Coffee Maker?!
I had no idea, thanks for teaching me something new today! :D
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

sidownes

Post by sidownes » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:59 am

chrysalis33rpm wrote:
Did you know that in France they call a French Press an Italian Coffee Maker?!
... and a Big Mac is called "Le Big Mac"
http://www.thesoundofyoungamerica.com
http://www.myspace.com/soundofyoungamerica

MacBook Pro, guitars, Live Suite 8.2, launchpad, iphone

annadyne

Lieblings, ich bin havink ein affaire,

Post by annadyne » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:21 pm

Dahlinks.... why be overly loyal to just one vhen you can do zem both (or more)? Zoooo much more fun and inspirink.

I like zem allllll!!!! Live, Logic, Reason, even ze CubaseLE for dose trrricky VSTs zat don't like Ableton, etc.

I got ze Logic Ztudio academik for $149 and gettink ze Soundtrack Pro 2 was alone worth der price of admizzion. Die STP2 effectz included are abzolutely killer (esp the parametric Sub-Bass effect) plus ability to automate ANY or 10 parameters at once in a single or multi-track audio editor, plus editing at the sample level (each sample as a moveable node)... is wayyy sexy-damagink. I used to own der full-blown Peak but den it didn't work mit mein VSTs. I veddy veddy pished. Ja. Peak vasted mein dollars down ze toidy big-timen. Pluzz all does stupit little picture ikonzzzz... ich can nod remember vhat dey all vor when in hurry to get tings done. Ze STP2 she work zo vell as external editor mit Ableton.

Vell, I tell you liebelings, mama hier had Logic 7 and used it fur editink 40 tracks of 95 minutez ov film sound und it often infuriated me to no endt... (should haff gone Pro Tools at ze time but didn't have ze $$ and didn't vant to pay for a kr-r-raappy audio interface-as-ding-dongle). Anyway.... jaaa ze new Logic 8 really zeems to have solved most of meine gripenzies. Easier to look at vor days on end... ergonomic intervace. Broken features now working, etc. The instruments zound grrrreat, too.

Mein plan isht to use Live und Logik togezzer (zusammen) for trackink/composink. I vill mostly likely get zat zexxxy-lookink 7 upgrade when it komes out.

Und meanvhile - I have zukkzeeded in figuring out HOW to route velozity to any effects parameter in an Ableton chain. Zooo I have made an multichain within a chain instrument called 'Drum Killer' composed of Simplers, pluz any effect on each chain. With VELOCITY routed to ANY chain instrument or effects parameter. Or a bunch allll at once!

It involvez a keyboard programmink trick plus an exterior MIDI (mac osx) thingy zat I especially programmed simply. Udder catch is it has to be running while Live ist going but it is simple ting and workz solid... zo far :-)

Love,
Frau Gear Girlrrrrl Lizz 8)

http://www.mooneuropa.com

2.66 quad + 7gb, motu 828, event asp8s, L6, LS, R3, K4, H4, hingeophone, ina-gadda-da-medulla-baby, ja-vhatever[/list]

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:09 pm

I got ze Logic Ztudio academik for $149
I thought that was a misprint until I realized I'm taking a programming class nights at NYU and I qualify for the educational store and - holy shiznit - Logic Studio (full) is $149. I can't afford not to get it right?

Logic and Live together = delicious.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

forge

Post by forge » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:34 am

nylarch wrote:
I got ze Logic Ztudio academik for $149
I thought that was a misprint until I realized I'm taking a programming class nights at NYU and I qualify for the educational store and - holy shiznit - Logic Studio (full) is $149. I can't afford not to get it right?

Logic and Live together = delicious.
8O 8O 8O WTF??? FULL? not upgrade???

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:06 am

$149 if you qualify for academic discount - member or academic institution... staff, teacher, student... even a doorstop.

NOW bear in mind that the Academic versions of Logic Studio are NOT upgradeable... but for $149 I felt I couldn't go wrong - and I didn't.

Even though you can't upgrade from say, L8 to L9... you CAN get updates/ or bugfixes that are released, like L8.0.1 or 8.2.1 for example. (BTW those are currently fictitious numbers.)

Ok... so if you get academic, remember, you can't upgrade to Logic 9.

Like I said, SoundTrack Pro 2, alone, is worth it.

Hope this helps....
Liz

here's a link to a place I was able to get mine from when I worked at a college this past september.. they were friendly and prompt...

http://www.universitycomputers.com/ePOS ... design=210