Ableton Organizer

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Ableton Organizer

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:16 am

I'd love to see ableton develop a sample organizing utility, similar to the apple loop utility. An app that could sort loops by tempo is my main desire, then to put them in folders, if it could aslo address the apple loop format and organize by key, mode, and instrument also. I'd glady pay $50 for such a time saving app.

lanquarem

Great idea

Post by lanquarem » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:27 pm

Same for me : I still use Acid because it displays the keys of the samples... This is a feature I would love to see in Live 4.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:33 pm

Yes, I suggest this for Ableton Live 5.0 or what the next major release is. I'm soon up to thousands of loops and even with smart folder arrangements things are getting out of control. There's need for meta information stype MP3 id tag info, song, style, when added in, and so on...

I would suggest to do something around a small internal relational database, but export it as a user-friendly system with a generic query, and a more advanced query for all kinds of meta tag entries. The generic would just pick up any string information related to a loop. It would be really nice to also save and return envelopes!

Also, try to make the file lookup somewhat flexible, style Reason setup lookups, just specify at set of top level directories from which to find the rest of the directory path -- this makes it easier to move material between disks, or between laptop/studio computer/DVDs.

As for the implementation, you could take a look at something like sqlite, a 300k ANSI C code base embedded relational database, Apple is using it in Tiger, AOL is sponsoring the work, it's really nice, small, lightweight, and very fast.

--Kent

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:52 pm

Also I think Ableton should give OSX Tiger's Spotlight technology a long hard look... :D

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:42 am

I'm not sure about Tiger's underlying database engine, but i would not be surprised if they use sqlite for something, as it's part of their Tiger release, anyway. Yes, it would be nice, but for cross-platform and supporting 10.3 (will take at least 12-16 months before everyone is on tiger), a Live-centric loop database would be nice. --Kent