Official-ize DummyClips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kineticUk

Official-ize DummyClips

Post by kineticUk » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am

Sorry this has probably been mentioned before, but I could not find anything specifically mentioning using the new abletonmetasound format. I was thinking recently about dummy clips and whats gonna happen with this, will it be officially supported or continue to exist unsupported ?
I am not an expert, so please excuse me.

The problems @ the moment for me...

1. Its not been made into a proper official feature. Its still being used though right, so please look into it.

2. It uses Audio Files ? Not sure whether this is strictly true anyway...
What if the official dummy clips feature could also support metasound files, could that be a solution ? Its a waste of resources to keep using empty audio files (In some cases ?) and surely more efficient to use the lightweight metasoundformat instead. (would this work though ?) If possible I would prefer to use this format.

3. I would love to be able to loop midi CCs and other data inside clips, set them up to a Midi Out and send it to external gear. Using Live to Create/Send this type of looping Midi information outside of Live easily to other gear would be great.Last time I checked trying to do this seemed to need workarounds. While looking at the Dummy Clip thing, this could be considered too.

Any thoughts,

Thanks
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Is dummy clips same in Live 7 anyone ?
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

pepezabala

Re: Official-ize DummyClips

Post by pepezabala » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:14 am

kineticUk wrote:
2. It uses Audio Files ? Not sure whether this is strictly true anyway...
What if the official dummy clips feature could also support metasound files, could that be a solution ? Its a waste of resources to keep using empty audio files (In some cases ?) and surely more efficient to use the lightweight metasoundformat instead. (would this work though ?) If possible I would prefer to use this format.

3. I would love to be able to loop midi CCs and other data inside clips, set them up to a Midi Out and send it to external gear. Using Live to Create/Send this type of looping Midi information outside of Live easily to other gear would be great.Last time I checked trying to do this seemed to need workarounds. While looking at the Dummy Clip thing, this could be considered too.
at 2: You can use any clip as a dummy clip. If you really need need to save ressources, why don't you use a clip that is already in your set. As the channel is set to monitor-on you you won't hear it playing anyways. And you still can set it's volume to -inf. And rename it and give it a different colour, so you don't get confused.

at 3. I don't have any problem doing such stuff. I use some midi-clips with looped CC-curves, send them out of live and via IAC back into live again as remote-midi-signal, in order to automate master tempo, or fade outs or whatever. Didn't have any problems with that, except some latency.