Modulate one MIDI track with another (an arpeg, but better)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
dmc

Modulate one MIDI track with another (an arpeg, but better)

Post by dmc » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:37 pm

Serious Kudos on Live4. It's absolutely brilliant.

After a weekend of intensive use, I only have one feature wish:

The ability to route one MIDI track to modulate another. This way you could set up a pattern on one track and then use another track to create progressions.

This way you could use one master progression track to modulate a chord track, bassline track, even drums. Or do crazy stuff with drums like having an odd-length track gate a rhythm track. Or....

If this isn't clear, lemme know. I think this solves the need for an arpeggiator, and would truly make this my dream machine.

thanks, dave

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:33 pm

If you're on OSX I recommend Numerology. All sorts of CRAZY midi modulations.
iBook G4 1Ghz w 768 mB RAM, internal Audio
OS 10.4.1

loophead

Post by loophead » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:12 pm

Ditto on that Numerology does all that and more ! Very cool app and quite light if you use it just for midi and host the synths (etc) in Live.
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:14 pm

yep, if I'm running Live I just load up Numerology w/o AU hosting. Much craziness ensues.
iBook G4 1Ghz w 768 mB RAM, internal Audio
OS 10.4.1

dmc

Post by dmc » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:53 am

er.. yeah..

the reason i suggested this is that i'd like to *get away* from using numerology with Live. (though I agree that numerology is very cool.)

the Live4 MIDI clips are a much more fluid and intuitive way for me to build arrangements on the fly. being able to use this manner of quickly sequence the switches beween progressions and patterns would be my ideal way of working.

in Num, there's a lot of scrolling and selecting from lists to quickly change between patterns while "performing." one of my favorite things about Live is that I don't feel so much like I'm using a computer when I'm making music...

thanks for the tips, though.

-dave