Pimped iMac or Macbook Pro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Heinz Graaf

Pimped iMac or Macbook Pro?

Post by Heinz Graaf » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:40 am

I nver had a Mac computer. But now since I spend my days configuring computers with Windows to get paid I want an almighty Macintosh. So Im choosing bewteen the Macbook Pro and the iMac. I already have an XP notebook with the Multiface II and cardbus II and Im very happy with that. The Apple will get a Digi002 with the latest Pro Tools, linked to the Multiface with Cubase. ... for an ultimate software setup. :-) I have 2000 euros to spend. With 2000 euros i can buy the 24 inch iMac 2.8ghz Intel Core Duo computer with 1 stick of 1GB RAM. Or I can buy the cheapest Macbook Pro with a little extra RAM. I am seriously leaning towards the 24inch iMac but the Macbook has got an expresscard, the iMac doesnt. Are there any bags for the iMac 24inch to make it somewhat portable? Because its pretty darn big to carry around under my left arm. Or not? It sure looks big n heavy. Although I still have my XP notebook + Multiface to take anywhere I go (and the Multiface has got a car adaptor :wink: )

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:06 am

I have a 24 inch iMac with 2Gb RAM, if i was you id definitely get more RAM. I don't know about a bag to carry an iMac, if u find one let me know :)

I love my iMac, its so good, runs everything great, i use Ableton on it, and its just so much fun. I can't imagine using a 17 inch screen though, no thanks!
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Heinz

I bought one of the new i-macs last weekend. The 20 inch 2.4g one and put another gig of ram in it. Absolutly love it. It is extremely well designed and looks great too. I havnt had a chance to really push live on here yet as all my live projects are well just sketckes really. Before I had a 1gih G4 imac which i could only get 3 intruments running at once. Any more and computer shut down. These projects with about 5 instruments in total(couple of freeze traks) only use about 9% CPU. So bye bye cubase, its live all the way now.
I did spend most of the summer trying to descide weather to go for another imac or go for the macbook(dont have anyother laptop here). But i went for the imac as it was better value for money in terms of power and really didnt think i could have handled the tiny semi widesceeen it has.
What ever you descide to buy in the end i am sure you will be very happy with it, Good luck :wink:

Btw, the imac is very heavy carrying it around may be impracticle

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:50 am

Thanks for the quick replies :)
I used Windows up until now and I always have to tweak the OS and have to disable network cards and connecting to the internet is evil. Is this the case with Mac OSX? Probably Leopard.
I know 1GB is too little but I have 2000 euros and want to invest in a faster CPU first and add a 1GB stick later. How is Vista in Boot Camp? I read very nice things about it. I read a Macbook Pro is the best notebook for Windows Vista. LOL Talk about an oxymoron. Is this the case with audio applications as well?
Also, is the new iMac with a 2.8ghz proc and 320GB 7200RPM HD a quiet computer? So I can record acoustic instruments in front of it.

bgc

Post by bgc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 pm

check out this informative review.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware ... w-imac.ars

from the review...

"The new iMac is a cool, quiet beast. While not as quiet as the G4 Cube that functions as my headless file and web server, you have to listen very hard in order to hear the computer at all. This is true even under heavy load—it's all but impossible to hear the fan running.

Using Temperature Monitor, I checked the temperature of the iMac's innards during normal (and stressful) use. Overall, things stayed pretty cool. Under normal use, the CPU cores stayed around 40-45°; the hot spot was the graphics processor, which spiked at 61°. Under heavy load, the CPU cores rose as high as 56°.

The top of the machine becomes warm to the touch under load, and it's possible to feel the warm air coming out of the vent above the Apple logo. It's far cooler than a laptop—as it should be—and my overall impression is that Apple has done a very good job with the iMac's cooling."

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 pm

If you need portability at all, I'd vote MBP, so much easier than toting an iMac around.

mohler

Re: Pimped iMac or Macbook Pro?

Post by mohler » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:31 pm

Heinz Graaf wrote:I nver had a Mac computer. But now since I spend my days configuring computers with Windows to get paid I want an almighty Macintosh. So Im choosing bewteen the Macbook Pro and the iMac.
You won't regret it! That was the reason I got Mac cause I was fed up with supporting windows users and coming home to have to support my own windows setup.

For me it's simple. If the computer is staying put get the iMac if you need it to be very portable then get the MBP (Of course you can box up the iMac and get it in your car).
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 pm

whichever you get (I have the MBP and can't recommend it enough) give yourself some time to get used to OSX. Some of the behaviors that seem foreign at first if you work on Windows all day (like why won't the damn window expand to full screen when I maximize) all fall into place over time.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 pm

As I already said and I agree with Tarekith, MBP for sheer portability.

I did spot these iLuggers recently.

http://www.ilugger.com/

and here's a review
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

Timur

Post by Timur » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:02 am

Tarekith wrote:If you need portability at all, I'd vote MBP, so much easier than toting an iMac around.
LOL :lol:

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:42 am

Once you've had Mac, you won't go back.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:27 am

You can't take your iMac with you to the coffeeshop and get all caffeinated and work on tracks. Well, I suppose you could, but it would be a pain in the ass and you'd look like a stooge.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:47 am

Gravis wrote:I have a 24 inch iMac with 2Gb RAM, if i was you id definitely get more RAM. I don't know about a bag to carry an iMac, if u find one let me know :)

I love my iMac, its so good, runs everything great, i use Ableton on it, and its just so much fun. I can't imagine using a 17 inch screen though, no thanks!
Something like you here LOL
I use IMAC 20 ALUMINIUM with ILUGGER bag for live gigs

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:17 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:
Gravis wrote:I have a 24 inch iMac with 2Gb RAM, if i was you id definitely get more RAM. I don't know about a bag to carry an iMac, if u find one let me know :)

Something like you here LOL
I use IMAC 20 ALUMINIUM with ILUGGER bag for live gigs
Have you gone back to Mac Grobe? I thought you had switched to Win...
Image Image

Vertical

Post by Vertical » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Apple REALLY needs to put out a desktop based off of non-Xeon non-mobile core2duos or core2quads.