One knob to automatically control any selected parameter

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
diego vega

One knob to automatically control any selected parameter

Post by diego vega » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Is there a way to make a rotary on my trigger finger to automatically control any parameter that is highlighted with the mouse? Instead of manually mapping/unmapping the knob each time I want to move a different parameter, it just automatically maps itself to whatever is selected on screen with the mouse?

It's like how you can control parameters with the up and down arrows on your keyboard but instead using a midi knob?

This would be very convenient while producing for example. It could also save a lot of time and precious midi controls when playing live since with one knob it would give you the flexibility to control anything you desire without having it premapped, or needing hundreds of midi controls.

Thing is I am sort of a control freak with live since you can do so much stuff, and if for example I want to have 4 tracks in my live set, plus each track with it's own FXs, then when using my trigger finger/djm 800 I don't have enough buttons/faders/knobs to assign it to all I want, so one dinamic rotary would be great.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:51 pm

I think the only way to do that would be to have the knob output up/down arrows, which would require 3rd party software. I know Bome’s MIDI Translator for PC can do it. Can’t say for sure if ControlAid for Mac can.

But that really wouldn’t work too well with a regular rotary knob as it has a limited range of motion. You’d need an endless knob.

What I’d suggest is using 2 pads or buttons for up/down arrows. They would work exactly like the up/down arrows on your keyboard. Press once and go up one value, hold it down and scroll through values. Again, I know Translator can do this, not sure about ControlAid.

By using TranzPort emulation, you could handle a lot of what you’re talking about without the need for a mouse. But that requires an endless knob and is a lot more complex to set up.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:07 pm

You can also use something like the shuttle express.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:35 pm

The new Novation Remote SL Compacts have this built in, hope the SL range gets it too eventually.

diego vega

Post by diego vega » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks for your answers guys... I thought it would be a bit complicated. Could Ableton implement this themselves?

Tarekith- interesting that the new Novation has that, I hadn't seen it.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:21 pm

I think ableton should include learning for one data entry controller.

In the meantime, using something like a shuttle express or novation sl compact takes very little setup.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:50 am

would be so nice if you could just use the mousewheel.

errorspending

Re: One knob to automatically control any selected parameter

Post by errorspending » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm

This is old, but has anyone figured out a quick easy way to do this? would be super helpful...using the up and down arrow keys kind of sucks...

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:05 pm

you are a star.

and, mrmpf, i am on osx

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:07 pm

There seems to be a port of Autohotkey here
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+