How to learn Live..

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
PercMonster

How to learn Live..

Post by PercMonster » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:42 pm

Hello!
I am an extremely newbee at Live 3.. I purchased it for 2 weeks ago, and I have to learn _many_ things..

anybody got some tips for me, so that I can learn it faster? any tricks I should know of?

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:58 pm

read the manual ,
click on everything to understand the interface. try to click on every numbers or lines you see on the screen .
when i got live first , i droped it because live manual use some words that was not part of the normal digital audio vocabulary.example they call clips the samples or wave files.
click on everything try to drag & drop or move things ,cos you can do something with everything you see on the screen .

brautigan

Post by brautigan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 pm

I never read the manual, except for that latency configuration page. Just leave that little window up that gives tips when you mouse-over things, and try to work with it. I started with live 1.5, and probably still some features from back then that I haven't touched on, but I've learned alot, and I continue to learn new things everytime I experiment.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:00 pm

Live is the most intuitive program I have ever used period! That little info window on the lower left is the greatest feature ever. I still haven't read the manual but I can do all sorts of things that I couldn't do with my previous(now abandoned) sequencer. I picked up Live 2 Power but I haven't read much of that either. The best place for info is here in the forums.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:14 am

I have to agree it's one of the easiest and most intuitive programs/interfaces I've encountered. In fact once I got over that all the functionality is there, and there isn't really anything hidden "under the table", it almost instantly became very natural to use. As almost everything follows the drag & drop logic, it's easy to just try things out by dragging stuff to different places just to see what happens.

krushing

Post by krushing » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:15 am

(whoops, ^that^ was me not logged in)

PercMonster

Post by PercMonster » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:32 pm

but how do you think about recording a rock song in Live?
do you recomend it?

ultrasource

Rock

Post by ultrasource » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:50 pm

Use Live for whatever. Rock. Dance. Trance. I'm going to record a kit into Pro Tools today, cut it up, put it in Live and get down with my bad self. Hell, I think I'll bypass Pro Tools and go straight into Live. Live works with any type of muzak.

s.balm

Post by s.balm » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:20 pm

Check the Live movies on the website and the new lessons included with the demo. They are helpful in getting started.
s.balm
ableton

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:03 am

Definitely read the manual! Its actually really well written and since it comes from the musician's perspective it has many tips and hints on creative ways to use Live. There are many functions that i wouldn't have known to use had i not read the manual - such as the consolidate and split functions in arrange mode and a ton of keyboard shortcuts. Of course the real learning in Live comes through playing around with it and learning it just like any other instrument :) Have fun!!