Round Robin in Sampler?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
polypx

Round Robin in Sampler?

Post by polypx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Does anyone have a way to make a Round Robin behaviour in Sampler? or using a Rack to do it?

The idea is that each played note will sequentially cycle through a different set of samples, or Sampler preset.

cheers
Dan

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:15 pm

Live 7 has an improvement to the Random plugin which is basically a round robin mode. It cycles thru the range of notes.

Alternatively, Sampler has an addition that lets you select samples with an LFO.

polypx

Post by polypx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:24 pm

will the Random in Live 7 cycle through the same note, but route it to different instances of Sampler? it's not the note I need to change, but the sample of that note

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:28 pm

Oh my bad. Thought you wanted alternating notes.

h_double

Post by h_double » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:14 pm

polypx wrote:will the Random in Live 7 cycle through the same note, but route it to different instances of Sampler? it's not the note I need to change, but the sample of that note
You could assign each sample to a different note of Sampler, all tuned to the same pitch. Then use an arpeggiator to cycle through the samples, and draw a pitch bend envelope to tune the notes.

It'd be a headache to do for more than a short sequence or two, but it works in Live 6.

Quick & dirty example: http://www.discolingua.com/roundrobin.alp

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:26 am

put an arpeggiator before a rack of simplers (or sampler) that you have a bunch of notes broken out in.

change the arpeggiator "style" to either random or play order or however you want that one note to cycle through the samples.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:16 pm

does this work with a drum pad sending short little midi notes?
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

abletonian

Post by abletonian » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 pm

arp, scale, rack of samplers

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:21 pm

abletonian wrote:arp, scale, rack of samplers
random, alt mode, sampler with multisample.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Fri May 30, 2008 3:37 am

multisample with a different zone selected for each one, then an lfo in sampler set to random & sample selector

ansolas

Re:

Post by ansolas » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:57 am

How do you cycle throu a set of samples?
eg teh fisrt time you strike a key sample1 is played , next time sample 2, and than again sample1 etc... ?

Fantismo

Re: Round Robin in Sampler?

Post by Fantismo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am

guys, the OP obviously needs it explained, would someone kindly post it step by step please, another ableton crude fix where round robin should be easy... :(

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:31 pm

The original post is from 2007... but anyway, this is the way I do it with Sampler.

For it to work, you must have many varieties of the sample you want to use as individual layers within the zone editor

In the Select editor (SEL tab) separate each sample so they don't play over each other by right clicking 'Distribute ranges equally'

In the Modulation area, assign either the 2nd or 3rd LFO to 'Sample selector', and change the amount of that to 100.

Set the LFO waveform type to Random.

This will play back your different variations of the sample Round Robin style.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

timday

Post by timday » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:09 pm

polypx wrote:will the Random in Live 7 cycle through the same note, but route it to different instances of Sampler? it's not the note I need to change, but the sample of that note
Yes, you set the samplers to trigger on adjacent key zones, and set the root note of each sample to that key. That way, if all the sampled notes are actually C, for example, they will play C even if they are on a C# as they will still be playing on their root note. If you put the rand plug in alt mode it will cycle through the keys you set the range to.
Fantismo wrote:another ableton crude fix where round robin should be easy... :(
YMMV. I really like the way you can build things out of basic modules, like instrument Lego.

headfullofradios

Post by headfullofradios » Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 am

Hey folks,

I have a variant I'm trying to accomplish on this one. I'm programming a sampler within an instrument track to play back the mechanical bellows sounds of a bandoneon (type of concertina used in Tango) so that every 10 notes it triggers the wooshing of the air. How can I get this to be both consistently 10 notes and random from a selection of several samples?

I've tried a couple round robin things with a max patch, but all it does is define how far it goes through a series of samples before looping. I want a "wait" function which I know is part of Max but I can't quite wrap my head around it 8O ....anyone?

cheers!