xp performance on macbooks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubQ

xp performance on macbooks

Post by SubQ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 am

tell me...

i have so much stuff VSTs for windows, its the only thing keeping me from a macbook. thinking about using xp for preproduction and OS for live gigs.

so, running live with bootcamp, etc... is it safe and fast?
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:24 am

MACs are now PCs
The internal architecture is 100% x86
Macs are just PCs, the only difrence with standar PCs is EFI BIOS.
At this moment the drivers from bootcamp are really good.
Under paralleles or fusion windows work ok, but for production i sugest install windows /bootcamp

Best regards.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:31 am

Oh just one more comment, under windows ableton have better performance compared with osx, that is real !
I use osx for live gigs, but when finish test vista in few more weeks, if all continue on same way without crashes, i think i use vista.
I have just one crash under vista, and is orginted by trouble on the ati card on my imac aluminium 2.4ghz, days ago apple, launched new frmware patch that trouble, i continue testing now for see if that problem is really fixed, aparently fixed.

I loves OSX, but is real, VST software available for windows free and pay its absolutly amazing !!!!

WHY vista and no xp?

VISTA is absolutly more stable, just for that VISTA.
I repeat the only crash i have on VISTA in the last 8 months is originated by fault ATI CARD on IMAC aluminium.

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:27 pm

thks grobe,

but I can't figure why Vista would be more stable than XP SP2... specially when everybody's saying the opposite.

Xp is a system with years of debugs, etc. Vista, for what i've heard, is heavy as hell and uses a huge and unecessary amount of processing power and memory.

I'd stay with XP on bootcamp, I guess.

Let us know if is everything running fine on vista.

and good luck on your monotouch:)

coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Well i say that beacuse i make intensive usage of vista in the last 8 months and use vista for the last 11 months.

Like i comment i just have one crash after install vista on imac 2.4 ghz aluminium but that is originated by bug on the ATI CARD, (fixed by apple firmware published days ago)
For me, its more stable, i use ableton under xp just 2 months time ago, and number of crashes is really important.

Lot of people have torubles too, due bootcamp drivers, the first drivers are really bad, now after some time all drivers are stable.

I think te first problem of vista is some stupid vendors put vista on machines where not should put vista, example:

One friend buy days ago cheap notebook here COMPAQ, the machine have just 512mb ram, and older SEMPRON ............imagine what say mi friend.........VISTA SUCKS !! VISTA IS SLOW ! VISTA M....FU......

I cant udnerstadn why notebook vendr sell on that macine with that spec, vista, this situation is abslutly common on the cheap notebok market and just increase bad reputation of vista.

Another friend, Diego, is a owner of computer store, he sell PCs and see the same trouble, people come to the support of the store to say !! hey this machine sucks, vista is a crap !! etc etc etc
Vista recive absolutly bad publicity, due situations like this, AND SPECIALLY due lot of blogs makeing copy and paste of very older news, i discover very high percent of users with problem baliming around teh forums, never use vista LOL, otehr just have 1gb ram, other have beta drivers, other just use in earlier time, after vista is launched and never use again, and yes other guys have vista with correct drivers, great specs and have torubles ayway.

Again about blogs:
99% of blogs just make copy and paste, and usually high percent of news are bad, tweaked or older.
Just are copy of copy of copy !!!..........i not like blogs. (only low percent is sirius)
I think this negative impressions under the web make to all users think vista is bad product when is really good.

Vista is more stable?
Yes is super stable if you use drivers writed for vista, and if possible no BETA, good amount ram, faster machine.

VISTA EAT MORE RESOURCES?
Yes a lot more if you use lot of things usually you not need working on vista, like:

DISK INDEXING
AUTOUPDATE
AERO
WINDOWS FIREWALL
WINDOWS UAC
WINDOWS SPYWARE DEFENDER
and more.....

Vista not requiere tweaks usually, for me work perfect, but disabling some things like stuf i listed can make the system not eat resources with thing you really no need if you use your machine for audio production.

I sugest read this article, i agree with this article:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/01/1 ... #more-1801

And if want know more, just go to http://createdigitalmusic.com and search for VISTA, you find some interesting info and some tutorials for disable no needed services, createdigitlamusic, is sirius blog, but...........

you can see simple example here about sometimes respetable blogs make public some deformated news, check here:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/09/1 ... #more-1622

This news posted for PETER KIRN, show how some times copy paste or write news without check the origin can be bad.

In the left picture, monotouchlive first screen design of my controversial software, to the right picture of some lemur user angered.

He copy monotouchlive sedign and recreate on lemur, take pictureand, then contatc to PETER KIRN , and say i directly copy the design of the ableton template provided with lemur..
LOL, the teplate provided by lemur, is abslutly different, PETER write big article about i ripped 100% lemur......he never check if ableton template is really different or no, he never check my software for see lot of features make my software abslutly different, he attack to me in other article saying mi software is poor due have fixed interface........6 months after that JAZZMUTANT launch DEXTER.......... LOL !!!

Well......ALL IS OK PETER I CONTINUE READING YOUR ARTICLES, i like how you write, but this is simple example about how blogs make lot of negative comments of some things without good reasons, and VISTA is one of that things.
I sugest take your time.......if you have,............ install vista tweak a little, put all correct drivers and test for some time.

Sorry for my bad english, remember i talk spanish like native language.

Visit www.monotouchlive.com soon, in the next days new version comming : )

maro

Post by maro » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:16 pm

!!!

perfect post - I agree 100% and thank you for the further statements - this was really useable!

Thanks mate :D

maro

Post by maro » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:19 pm

btw: >> you are talking about vista 32 or 64bit // home or ultimate edition?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:23 pm

use vista 32
test if all work, and if not ....just go for xp or OSX

If you have crack and pops and clicks on your audio, or little drops, dont forgot disable wifi card of your notebook.

pale1

Post by pale1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:33 pm

yes xp on a bootcamped macbook runs really well.
+20 tracks, lots of effects etc. Zero probs.

Just make sure your windows partition is big enough, default from bootcamp is 32 gb and that is imo not enough .

So btw does anyone know of a way to allocate more space to the windows partition??

regards
pale1
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg