SAMPLER - is it worth getting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

SAMPLER - is it worth getting?

Post by buckman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Want to upgrade to Live 7, but am also thinking of getting Sampler..

I just want to cut up samples, by assigning one sample to C3, one to D3 etc and cut them at different points, and using the loop points bckwrds/frwds etc..

Anyone using it?

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:27 pm

yes.

the integration alone makes it worth it, and then when you rack it the modularity means you won't even need another sampler.

it rocks.

get it.

the other instruments are worth it too.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Poster

Re: SAMPLER - is it worth getting?

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:31 pm

buckman wrote: I just want to cut up samples, by assigning one sample to C3, one to D3 etc and cut them at different points, and using the loop points bckwrds/frwds etc..

Anyone using it?
yep..
and the new 'Sample Select' mode is also very powerful when modulated by LFO..
I use it to cut up loops..

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Am I correct that it does not have a sample pitch detector? I have some uncut libraries I'm not terribly keen on remapping...
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

blank

Post by blank » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:01 pm

In my opinion sampler is not a good « rompler » sampler. There is no samples pitch detection afaik but I never use multi sampled instruments at all so maybe there is a workaround I don't know.

On the other hand, sampler is a really good sound sculpting tool.

It's one of the plug I use the most, it's worth every penny to me.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:02 pm

Sampler is mostly a radical sample synth for me, and there is nothing else like it :D
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:49 pm

I had difficulty importing certain EXS24 libraries. For example, importing Logic's Xtreme Analog or Xtreme Digital libraries doesn't work well. The frequency is closed by default and Sampler won't map it to your MOD wheel automatically. You would have to load each patch, assign frquency to the mod wheel, and re-save. No way.

Another downside of Sampler..you can't just grab a bunch of one-shots and drop them in and have each sample map to a key. Instead, it layers all of them on top of each other across all 88 keys making one BIG ugly sounding patch.

HALion and Kontakt are smarter samplers, but Sampler is more fun for tweaking stuff. Say, drag a sample or two, play with filters, etc..
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:33 pm

MarkH wrote:Another downside of Sampler..you can't just grab a bunch of one-shots and drop them in and have each sample map to a key. Instead, it layers all of them on top of each other across all 88 keys making one BIG ugly sounding patch.
try right clicking on em in the zone editor and hitting distribute ranges equally.
theres a few other tricks as well - drop a bunch of samples in, drag each end of ALL the samples to the range of keys you want (from drum hits if you have 8 sounds have them over an 8 key range) then do the distribute equally trick above. that'll put each sample on it's own key AND set that key as the root...

if you're using pitched samples organise them in note order first (ie C1, C#1, D1, etc) then do this and it should set the right notes on the right keys for you. not as simple/good as auto pitch detection, but not that much of a hardship either.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:39 pm

HANG ON!! has live 7 got pitch detecction in sampler?!?! i just dropped a load of samples in and been playing around and they ALL hit exactly the right root note and distributed the key ranges to suit!!!

not sure what did it but i'd been playing with the sorting stuff - maybe sort by key (ascending) did it?

EDIT - just did it again with some more samples live had never analysed before and they all hit the right root note as soon as i dropped em in... not sure if it took the root from the file names or from pitch analysis though. either way, it works!

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am

Sampler was one of a the coolest additions to Live - when used in conjunction with multiple nested instrument racks it really comes into its own.

As the Phatt Conductor says earlier in the thread - the integration is worth it alone! Rather than behaving like some kind of isolated plugin it really "locks in" to the application. This is a serious oversight for HALion with Cubase/Nuendo since it treats HALion as though it were no more special than any other 3rd party plugin.

I love the way how if I do a Collect All and Save on my Project, Ableton is aware of its audio file dependencies and will also collect the elements which Sampler is dependent on.

Sampler is **KING** for building custom drum kits ....
It's the closest element in software I've had to the immediacy of the "Sample" button on my beloved ASR10 rack samplers.
Record a chunk of audio from a microphone into a cell is session view and immediately drag it into the Sampler keymap - done!

I still can't bring myself to sell the old ASR girls - love 'em to death - just hate their workflow and storage facilities. Also I guess I hold on to them because of I run the Ensoniq ASR/EPS discussion group on YahooGroups and field tech questions about them.

Anyhow, my verdict is - YES - Sampler is definitely worth it!

Cheers
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am

Sampler is great but damn k9's ...
Ableton don't update it unless you pay them to fuck you up the asshole every xmas and if you're thinking "hmmm well I do Love ableton" forget it, they'll update it only "as much as our development resources allow".
Well when they are all busy "on the job" its to be expected. Coding is harder when you have your hard on in one of your customers assholes.
Hey its a dirty job but ableton gotta do it.

No thanks.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:20 am

Clearscreen wrote:HANG ON!! has live 7 got pitch detecction in sampler?!?! i just dropped a load of samples in and been playing around and they ALL hit exactly the right root note and distributed the key ranges to suit!!!

not sure what did it but i'd been playing with the sorting stuff - maybe sort by key (ascending) did it?

EDIT - just did it again with some more samples live had never analysed before and they all hit the right root note as soon as i dropped em in... not sure if it took the root from the file names or from pitch analysis though. either way, it works!
Using two old SampleCell libraries, I've noticed one disc automatically maps but the other doesn't. I have no idea why, to be honest.
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:32 am

i'm finding that too, not sure if some .wavs might have root info embedded?