The difference between audio and midi: Guide to beginnings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvi

The difference between audio and midi: Guide to beginnings

Post by EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:14 am

Hello friends,

This is inspired by many of the people here on the forum and is meaning to be a guide to beginnings for new people. so i wil not be wasting any more time... let us beginning.

MY GUIDE to audio vrs. MIDI in music production environment

AUDIO

Audio is quite often misunderstood in the field of production. to making it simplified... audio is a real phenomenon. it happens with digital and can last for a very long time. When you plug in your headphones in it you might hear "audio". It happenning when the digital goes through the production environment and you begin percieving it like it's for real (like real sound!). For example, you have a Norwegian friend that only listens to trance music. You go to his house (or maybe you sit in his car) and listen to this trance music. What you are hearing now is the "Audio" coming through to you.

You can use audio just like anything else in the production. but this is where it gets confusing and we will now talk about MIDI

MIDI

They make midi with bits and binary codes that look like hexidecimal strings like this 01844818. You can always tell good MIDI from the numbers they use. You can hear that numbering if you look long enough. Do you hear it? if so, then you are hearing the MIDI. Unlike audio, MIDI is definitely NOT real. You can hearing it and make fun with it but it only a problem if you see it in a progfessional track. If you see the MIDI in a professional track then you must put it in the trash and throw it out. The only exceptions are when you see MIDI for the arppaggregarrarttor. Then you can ask you rprogram to keep it. And do not burn MIDI to a CD it won't work well. and don't use MAX/MSP with MIDI because they aren't at all the same letterring except for the "M".

The other things about MIDI is that it you can't be mixing it with the plugin. The plugin won't take it and you might ruin everything including your future and the lives of those around your.

if you have any questions, please ask now before i am closing these thread for good.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 am

you spelled the last evil wrong

evi L not evi
Ableton | Elektron

Music

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:31 am

shut up. (not u adonis)
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:03 am

Evil, I learn so much from you... even more than my best friend Chad, who gets straight A's all the time.

Thank you for sharing.

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:13 am

someone should add this to a wiki.
think, we'd all stay light years ahead of all those hungry kids who just
"wanna make phat beats yo!"

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvi

Post by EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 am

djadonis206 wrote:you spelled the last evil wrong

evi L not evi
yes, they have take the last "l" from my last name. it is reserved for now.

by the ways, i am hiring a team of professionals to make the tracks better here at my studios. if you or some other smart people want application, just put your resume here and we will judge you. but you must know MIDI by then for sure

gringleflap

Post by gringleflap » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:50 pm

Hey, Evil!

Should I refrain from using MIDI altogether when listening through the
car stereo? I tried the arppaggregarrarttor trick when I was monitoring
my mix on the highway last night, but the results were only
so-so. I always find that the background car-hum makes my audio
look better, and thus it always looks good on other systems. But
after I used the arppaggregarrarttor, the mix looked a bit muddy on
my home stereo. Please advise!

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:24 pm

why pick on the Norwegians? 8O

I dont care what you say, when I put my Audio throught the MIDI it didnt cancel the Logic one and the Logic one sounded WAAAAAAYYY better!

you mustnet be using the best arpraarpgatrotrs because mine sound WAAAAAAY better

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:36 pm

Which is better for trance, audio or midi? :roll:

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Action Jackson wrote:Which is better for trance, audio or midi? :roll:
If you read his guide properly, you will see that AUDIO is the thing norwegians use for trance. Norwegians allways do things wrong compared to us danish people, so i'd say midi is the answer

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:50 pm

thefool wrote:
If you read his guide properly, you will see that AUDIO is the thing norwegians use for trance. Norwegians allways do things wrong compared to us danish people, so i'd say midi is the answer

no you're completely missing the point - audio is what you use when you wnat that 'real' effect - MIDI is for n00bs and nutters

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:56 pm

forge wrote:
thefool wrote:

no you're completely missing the point - audio is what you use when you wnat that 'real' effect - MIDI is for n00bs and nutters
Are you from Norway?

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:01 pm

thefool wrote:
forge wrote:
thefool wrote: If you read his guide properly, you will see that AUDIO is the thing norwegians use for trance. Norwegians allways do things wrong compared to us danish people, so i'd say midi is the answer

Are you from Norway?
I'm from No Way!

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:05 pm

forge wrote:
thefool wrote:
forge wrote:
Are you from Norway?
I'm from No Way!
Me too!
Well after testing a little I also found that audio have this real effects. But then its arguable wether or not trance music needs a real effect or if it isn't a good idea to keep it spacey.

Maybe evil can help us here, what do we use if we want that flying-like space tarnce effect?

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:19 pm

I don't understand why they didn't just use this for the audio and midi fact sheets for Live 7