Upcoming Novation Remote SL changes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:44 pm

You can always map regular CCs to the controls, but you cannot customize which values are shown via Automap by Live. Actually I don't know if you can do that via Plugin template cause I didn't dig into it yet (you have to install a wrapper around all VSTs that you want to use it).

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:01 pm

i guess that even with automap there's no way around live's 128 parameter limit?

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:19 pm

Timur wrote:You can always map regular CCs to the controls, but you cannot customize which values are shown via Automap by Live. Actually I don't know if you can do that via Plugin template cause I didn't dig into it yet
Yes, with plug-in automap template, you can completely customize what controls are mapped. That's the point of it really. I still don't like to use it though. I'd rather just use a mix of the ableton automap and regular templates.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Which leads us again to the point where Ableton should release their Automap scripts (Phyton source) so that we can customize them to our own needs. :!:

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:04 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:I still don't like to use it though. I'd rather just use a mix of the ableton automap and regular templates.
any reason why you prefer the regular templates over the automapped/wrapped ones? i assume they just send standard cc data, so i imagine you don't get any parameter feedback from the vsti for knob pickup mode to work or for displaying values on the lcd?

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:48 pm

the problem i have found with the automapping of plugins is not all automation can be recorded into live. you are still stuck to only the 128 parameters that are exposed.

so if you map a knob to a parameter that is not exposed in live and try to record that automation you still get nothing. that's where regular templates come in handy because you can midi learn your synths and then record automaton to any parameter that you can midi learn.

as for the automapping of plugins i was a bit disappointed to find this out. i thought it would be more like ni's kore. with kore you have up to eight pages of knobs/buttons exposed - so whatever plugin parameters you map to those buttons/knobs can be automated.

on a side note though i love the live automapping - makes it completely worthwhile.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Hehe, I am blessed with both Kore and the SL and a foot-controller. Next thing on the list is a Padkontrol with something like Total Kontrolpackage (but customized for my own needs and mixure of hardware). :D

Worst disadvantage of the Kore controller is that you cannot map any of its knobs to Midi events, I would love to use the knobs for Midi control.

blablub

Post by blablub » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 pm

hy guys,

have you heard anything, when they will provide this update... so that i can finally tap my tempo via remote sl?

greets and thanks
blablub

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:33 pm

You can already tap your tempo via Remote SL, I provided a howto here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=tempo

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:15 am

pat the dog wrote:(and maybe even hold out for namm)
I'm ready to buy the Remote SL 25 now but now I'm thinking about waiting as well.
Are there any rumors of a new similar/improved product?
Should I wait for namm?

If a new product is announced at namm, will it still take some months to arrive, you think?

dbone

Post by dbone » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:09 pm

yep +1 those pads are utter bollocks. even the pads on the cheapest shittiest drum machines on the planet far outclass the shit ones on remote sl. Other than that I think its a pretty fucking amazing bit of kit though
Also, the performance of the top row of "endless encoder" knobs is flakey than a mufuggah!! They are designed to feel a subtle "click" as you turn them. Each step on mine can vary wildly from one "click" to the next.

I am thinking of tearing mine apart, soldering some REAL encoders (and faders!) in and remounting it in a new box. On paper it's a great unit. In the real world, it definitely feels like a bit of a toy.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:08 pm

this appeared yesterday on the novation yahoo group. i don't think it's the same update that we've been discussing here but it may be of interest:
ReMOTE SL Template Editor build 8187 Released on 12-04-07 11:02

Template Editor update for ReMOTE SL and ReMOTE ZeRO SL including the following changes/fixes:

- Separate editors for keyboard versions of the SL and the ZeRO SL.
- Keyboard zone MIDI channel now transmitted correctly to SL.
- Drumpad button type options now changed to read 'velocity' instead of 'momentary'.
- 'Upload Factory Settings' dump updated to include latest set of SL factory templates.
- 'Note On/Off' removed from available control type options for drumpads.
- Snapshot values now correctly recognised for templates dumped from SL.
- Fixed crash in Mac version caused by changing button type.
- Support added for REL1, REL2 and APOT encoder types.
- Template name max. length increased to 34 characters.
- USB ports now listed numerically, not alphabetically.
- USB port 3 now available to select in editor.
- Range of Device ID parameter extended to 0-127.
- Bulk dump upload time reduced.
- KeybChan now uploaded to SL correctly when set to follow ComnChan.
http://mail.focusrite.com/beta/remote_sl/
Last edited by pat the dog on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbone

Dag...

Post by dbone » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:19 pm

I was kinda hoping that they would make it easier to manage the default Automap setups. Changing them up now is such a PITA that I don't even bother to use Automap.

Using it mainly with NI Reaktor, it's more time-consuming than anything.

Not really a "user-friendly", performance-enhancing feature if it's a pain for the user to reconfigure to taste!

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Soarer wrote:
pat the dog wrote:(and maybe even hold out for namm)
I'm ready to buy the Remote SL 25 now but now I'm thinking about waiting as well.
Are there any rumors of a new similar/improved product?
Should I wait for namm?

If a new product is announced at namm, will it still take some months to arrive, you think?
Sorry for asking again but do you think we can expect a new improved midi controller like the Remote sl series a Namm?

Namm is soon but I'm really longing for a controller at this time...

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:35 pm

i.e. one that can receive midi feedback from the host?

Nope.