CPU spikes and audio glitches in L7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

CPU spikes and audio glitches in L7?

Post by sporkles » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:04 am

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried a project that works just fine,
hopping along at about 50% in L6, but in the L7 demo, I get CPU jumps and
audio glitches all over the place.

Is this to be expected? Does the new audio engine require more resources?
I seriously wasn't expecting a project that works fine in L6 to be completely
unworkable in L7... :cry:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:54 pm

onebluesphere

Post by onebluesphere » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Same problem here with MBP 2.16 Ghz Intel Core duo and 2 GB Ram.
Very Annoying and Dissapointing. :?
Tried turning Multicore/Multiprocessor support ON, but almost no difference.
And to think that we payed for it.

:cry:
Mac mini, Ableton Suite 9, Reason 6, Push, Axiom 49, t.c.electronic desktop konnect 6 audio interface, KRK Rokit 5.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:37 pm

I'm having a gltichathon on my Macbook Pro as well. Fiddling with the buffer setting seems to fix it but the odd thing is that it never seems to be the same setting even on the same song. I just play the song and then screw with the buffer back and forth until the glitching stops. I feel like I am trying to tune in a radio station in the middle of the dessert.

onebluesphere

Post by onebluesphere » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:56 pm

I was between buying Logic 8 or upgrading to Live 7
My son adviced me Logic.
But I said No, I have to stay loyal to Live because is the Daw I know, I like, and I do not have the time to start all over again.
Abes, was I wrong?

:cry:
Mac mini, Ableton Suite 9, Reason 6, Push, Axiom 49, t.c.electronic desktop konnect 6 audio interface, KRK Rokit 5.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:45 pm

I'm using Live 7 on a set that I started with in Live 6. It certainly takes a bit more CPU but not much overall, perhaps an extra 5%.

What I do notice though now is that starting and stopping the transport really spikes the CPU and there is a noticeable click. Sometimes quite loud.

Also, when in loop mode in the arrange window, at the start of every loop there's a click that wasn't there in Live 6. Its not a show stopped but it does make me think that any future Live 8 will be too much for my aging P4E.

blank

Post by blank » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm

It seems that all sets I have behaving like this are sets that use a lot of audio files, micro edit and ect that are not loaded in ram.

Once I load audio files in the ram, live start acting normally.

I also add to bring my global sampling rate to 44100 instead of 88200 ( and it's fucking up tracks using redux) to avoid cpu spikes on some sets.

it's the 7.01 release of a big updates, I can accept two or 3 bugs like that for a couple of weeks cause anyway i'm quite busy learning the new features.

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 pm

I too have been getting pops/clicks with L7 where none existed on L6. It seems to be mostly with the midi controllers or commands. If I use my padKontrol for a drum rack or start and stop using transport controlls on my axiom, etc. Adjusting the buffer size on my audio interface doesn't correct the problem. (There are other threads pointing this problem out).
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 pm

blank wrote:It seems that all sets I have behaving like this are sets that use a lot of audio files, micro edit and ect that are not loaded in ram.

Once I load audio files in the ram, live start acting normally.

I also add to bring my global sampling rate to 44100 instead of 88200 ( and it's fucking up tracks using redux) to avoid cpu spikes on some sets.

it's the 7.01 release of a big updates, I can accept two or 3 bugs like that for a couple of weeks cause anyway i'm quite busy learning the new features.

-B
That seems to be the exact opposite of what's happening to me! The project
I referred to used a lot of samples, including the heavy Reason RDK+Piano
refills. I don't usually rely on refills/large sample libraries like that, and the
other project I tested in Live 7 didn't cause any trouble. That one was mainly
audio tracks and softsynths...

Caymus Cab

Post by Caymus Cab » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:09 pm

dudes... it's been spike city for me for a long ass time, I thought in the beginning it was because I had 512mb, but I have 2g now and its still spike city. I dunno either, I'm not running lots of plugins etc etc... I even took ToneDefts tip, that using complex mode tends to push the CPU's more, it helped by 1-2% , very greatful for that. But
I am now learning the science of dealing with what you have.... its cool, I guess.
I aint spending another dime on any software or computer, hard drive no mo!!!!!! thats fer sure!!! i rather get drunk on red wine!
Ableton 8

thehuman

Post by thehuman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:06 am

Yeah, same here, but only on one system. My desktop is fine, but my laptop is having serious issues with 7, and never did on 6. I was nervous it was my new X-Station, but now it seems it may not be, which is good news. Although the bad news is that it is probably my new Live 7... I'll have to do some testing.

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:19 am

somebody asked me about this today.. I told them I wasnt having problems iike this.

I am having crash problems, so all is not well.

I guess they need to toss out some updates soon

Its always like this with a new release though.

And this is certainly running pretty smooth.
too many lasers...

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:21 am

i'll add my name to this list
im also getting the remote sl glitching

back to live 6 for gigs

thehuman

Post by thehuman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:25 am

Ok, so should we be emailing Ableton support about this? I don't know about everyone else, but it's pretty unusable for me. Damn shame, too.

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:32 am

thehuman wrote:Ok, so should we be emailing Ableton support about this? I don't know about everyone else, but it's pretty unusable for me. Damn shame, too.

wow that bad? I had 5 crashes since it came out. compared to six that crashed once in a blew moon, yeah I am noticing.

I posted a message in the bug forum, and have recently emailed support.

they are really trying better than a lot of companies to be on the ball.

I suggest you email em
too many lasers...