Live 7 - SLICER - Stale Bread - Review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Yeah I love it only I was just pulling my hair out trying to beef up a pad that contained a kick from a Rex file by adding another kick to the pad to make it a multi.

Only the new kick creates a new set of macros that are all set to 0 so I couldn't hear the old Rex kick until I messed with the new macros.

User error I admit but still confused the hell out of me for bit.
Last edited by Dan Dare on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Actuel wrote:
ilia wrote: +1 for transients. none of the stuff I want to chop is on the beat.
just use the warp markers. it's a cinch and guarantee's an accuracy that transients don't give you anyway...there's always some adjustment, unless is robot's you're sampling.

cheers...give it go! :wink:
I may be missing something here.....but part of the point of wanting to slice on the transients is that the midi file produced will retain the groove of the original. If you move all the warp markers to the transients before slicing and then use slice to warp markers you end up with a grooveless midi clip.....no?
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Mammalux wrote:
Actuel wrote:
ilia wrote: +1 for transients. none of the stuff I want to chop is on the beat.
just use the warp markers. it's a cinch and guarantee's an accuracy that transients don't give you anyway...there's always some adjustment, unless is robot's you're sampling.

cheers...give it go! :wink:
I may be missing something here.....but part of the point of wanting to slice on the transients is that the midi file produced will retain the groove of the original. If you move all the warp markers to the transients before slicing and then use slice to warp markers you end up with a grooveless midi clip.....no?
As far as I can tell in this case the warp markers aren't warp markers they are more like Recycle markers and leave your audio un warped and groove intact.

It's a bit weird but it works.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:28 pm

thanks....

by jimmeny! so it does......now all we need are groove templates......
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:36 pm

thats correct.

slicing with warp markers will retain the groove. Its not intuitive, but it does work

divonic

Post by divonic » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:55 pm

pat the dog wrote:
gaspode wrote: I think I noticed on the video that you could drag pads/slices off of the drum slicer and then make them a different 'track'.
I didn't understand that part of the video at all. Any beta testers care to elaborate on what was actually going on there? does it extract the midi out of the clip or something?
Imagine that you slice an audio clip into 8 pieces and it maps each slice to a trigger in impulse. (I don't know what they are called the spot where you drag the audio) then it makes a midi sequence that when played recreates the audio loop exactally. the midi notes would look like steps.

playing loops this way isn't all that useful untill you realize that you can move midi notes. so you could play the 8 parts in reverse order, or not play some, or make one part repeat. if you do this with different clips you can make variations on the original loop.

now 8 parts can be useful but you could also take a complicated loop and slice it into say 64 parts so that each hit is on it's own midi note (some midi notes would just play samples of blank sound.) you can have way more variations.

and using it with the new drum rack is really cool. these are all things that you could do before but it took alot of work. and this has added to that and simplified it greatly.

I had gotten tired of Stalebreads whining over and over about a slicer, that's all he ever talked about but this is really cool. and adding it to ableton for free is great. IMO this feature totaly makes the upgrade. I haven't played with it yet but it sound like we are getting recycle and battery for free.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:13 pm

It only cost me my marriage, my job, and a lung but it was worth it, I felt like that dude standing in front of the tanks at tienaman square in china :D
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:51 pm

So what do i do when I have a one bar clip and want slice at warp markers but need more than 16 slices.My problem is that I can only see 1/16th warp grid?

Am I missing the obvious?

The only solution I came up with is to double the tempo to get more warp markers.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Mr-Bit wrote:So what do i do when I have a one bar clip and want slice at warp markers but need more than 16 slices.My problem is that I can only see 1/16th warp grid?

Am I missing the obvious?

The only solution I came up with is to double the tempo to get more warp markers.
Zoom, perhaps?
Image Image

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Mmmm that what I thought but I'm only getting 1/16 resolution for warp markers eh :?:

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:19 pm

3phase wrote:what anybody would want with 256 slices? 128 are more than enough
Imagine that you are slicing a vocal melody sample into sixteenth notes. Now, 128 slices is only two bars! So in fact the present implementation forces you to create a new sampler instrument track for each two bars of vocals to be treated this way. Not my definition of "nice work flow" ;-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
Imagine that you are slicing a vocal melody sample into sixteenth notes. Now, 128 slices is only two bars! So in fact the present implementation forces you to create a new sampler instrument track for each two bars of vocals to be treated this way. Not my definition of "nice work flow" ;-)
No, that's not right , there are 32*16ths in 2 bars, not 128.
128 slices of 16th notes = 8 bars

so that's a Sampler instrument required for every 8 bars sliced to 16ths

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Per Boysen wrote:
No, that's not right , there are 32*16ths in 2 bars, not 128.
128 slices of 16th notes = 8 bars

so that's a Sampler instrument required for every 8 bars sliced to 16ths
Right-o!

Still, it would be nice to be able to get 512 or even 256 slices. I like to slice up longer passages myself.
Image Image

jngpng

Post by jngpng » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:10 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
The 127 note restriction is there because beyond that you run out of keys to map the slices to. Unless you're slicing just for timestretching purposes, I can't really see the point.

Strange thing to moan to ableton about when every other slicer on the market has the same restriction :S
----------------
Macbook Pro, Fireface 400, Analog Shit