Selling MPC, which pad interface should I replace it with?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:02 am

MPD 24.
I do indeed like this controller. :)

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:02 am

what have we here
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Fishing for more opinions as I'm considering picking up a pad controller.

Open to suggestions on something covered with knobs and faders as well.
Image Image

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:05 pm

i think it's like this, the triggerfinger is the most expressive, the individual pad
programming can do some very cool things and that's on it's own, check out the demo video you could really apply it's features to some very creative sample/ and fx triggering.

the korg padkontrol feels the best out of all of them bar none, great for playing rhodes or whatever, extrememly sensitive great padfeel and great pad sensors, along with third party apps like the tkp software offers alot of control too.

the mpd24 so big that you'll be pissed that it's not actualy an mpc, heavy as some laptops i've had, not fun to carry in my bag with my laptop but pads are good, nicer faders and knobs than the triggerfinger, if they'd cut the depth of the thing in half i'd give it another go but for now uh uh... btw the lightest of the whole bunch is the korg.

i've had all 4, the mpd16 was my first...that is crap. I'd keep the triggerfinger in my bag, the mpd24 on the desk at home and the korg on the bed on a lazy sunday afternoon.

orgul

Post by orgul » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:08 pm

robleighton22 wrote: and record the midi into the mpc, so i get the swing of the mpc (this is a good reason not to sell the mpc as no controller will offer the unique timing settings of the mpc). then i record back into ableton without quantise so it keeps the swing settings of the mpc intact. .

the part about djing with the mpc sounds really interesting. the quoted part is mpc mythology! i owned all kinds of mpc's 60/2000/xl/1000 and i can tell you this.

1. the "magic mpc swing" is a myth. there is no such thing. mpc's have just a really tight midi-audio sync. the mpc has a 96ppq midi resolution. ableton should have at least sthe same.

2. the "tight sound" works only if you use the internal sequencer. once you trigger every note from live your "magic swing" will be lost.

Let's resume: 1. there is no magic mpc swing 2. if you still want to keep the mpc tight groove: use midi clock and record the audio.

@ EgAD

i just gott my mpd 24 today and also consider selling my mpc 1000 (yould use the money...) I just hooked it up, so there is not much info I can give you at this point, but i can keep you updated. big bummer is that the midi mmc sync does not seem to work. this is funny since it worked on the mpc 1000. ? :?:

anyone has a clue on the mmc issue?

[/list]

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:58 pm

orgul you don't have any intrest in os 2? how can you sell it

orgul

Post by orgul » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:42 pm

EgAD wrote:orgul you don't have any intrest in os 2? how can you sell it
jj os 2?

yeah it looks good... i did jump on jj os 1 early and it made me real exited. but in the end i did not really finish a single beat on the mpc even with the jj os. i played along drums or made some sketeches that i often rechoped and redid in live.

i really want to reduce my setup and move to a faster workflow. let's see if the mpd will do this.... 1. bummer: the mpd is huge and heavy ... almost bigger then the 1000
:D

let's see...

I will not do the mistake and sell the mpc in a hurry this time...

edit: i made myself a "mpc sounding" metronom template for live, to make the trasition easyer... :roll:

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 am

orgul wrote: big bummer is that the midi mmc sync does not seem to work. this is funny since it worked on the mpc 1000. ? :?:

anyone has a clue on the mmc issue?
The MPC has an internal midi sequencer in it that runs Live -> MPD doesnt.
The MPD just has MMC transport buttons -> Live does not support MMC.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

orgul

Post by orgul » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:37 am

[/quote]

The MPC has an internal midi sequencer in it that runs Live -> MPD doesnt.
The MPD just has MMC transport buttons -> Live does not support MMC.[/quote]

right i gett it.

jamez666

the ultimate controller

Post by jamez666 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Intel Quad extreme QX9650 @ 4Ghz! , 8Gb Corsair, NVidia 9800 GX2 1Gb, Access Ti Polar, Livid Ohm, Akai MPD-32

icedsushi

Re: the ultimate controller

Post by icedsushi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:20 pm

jamez666 wrote:How bout this baby...

http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm.php
But are the pads velocity sensitive, or are they just rubberized buttons for firing clips, etc?

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:27 pm

They are not velocity sensitive. This thing was designed primarily as a VJ controller for their software Livid Union.......
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.