DRUM RACKS ..WHERE is the Pitch/Tune knob?? + routing WTF?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dbone

DRUM RACKS ..WHERE is the Pitch/Tune knob?? + routing WTF?

Post by dbone » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:37 am

I'm just starting to play around with the new Drum Racks. Looks promising, but...

1) I can't find a freakin' Pitch/Tuning knob per Pad! WTF?!?

2) I *hope* I can route, for example, C-2 and C-1 thru the same audio strip in the Mixer. Looks as though you might be able to set this in the "Audio To" section of the Return Chains... but my "Audio To" is greyed out.

Seems that this is shown with the two E Kick samples pictured in section 16.8 (pg. 236) of the manual, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how it's being done.

Anybody 'elp a fellow beat-junkie in need??

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 am

1) pitch/tuning for each drum rack pad will be accomplished with the associated simpler transpose function.

2) tell that particular pad to accept all notes, then use scale plug to narrow it down to only 2 notes that pass
Audio To is greyed out on the outer most drum rack, if you put a drum rack in a drum rack then you have the option of "route to return" or "route to master" or something to that effect.

keep the help menu open while you work, the little arrow on the bottom left of your screen. it tells you all sorts of useful stuff.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 am

its just a bunch of simplers, you adjust the pitch in the simpler controls.

as for the routing, I'm not sure :)

andrewbrewer

Re: DRUM RACKS ..WHERE is the Pitch/Tune knob?? + routing W

Post by andrewbrewer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:26 am

dbone wrote:I'm just starting to play around with the new Drum Racks. Looks promising, but...

1) I can't find a freakin' Pitch/Tuning knob per Pad! WTF?!?

2) I *hope* I can route, for example, C-2 and C-1 thru the same audio strip in the Mixer. Looks as though you might be able to set this in the "Audio To" section of the Return Chains... but my "Audio To" is greyed out.

Seems that this is shown with the two E Kick samples pictured in section 16.8 (pg. 236) of the manual, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how it's being done.

Anybody 'elp a fellow beat-junkie in need??
the routing is the phreshest part.
just select the different drum sounds in the chain selector that you want to "group" ( select, say the C-2 and C-1 chains )
in the right-click/context menu, there is an option to "group" the selected drum chains. do that.
now you can route c-2 and c-1 through the same effect ( redux/saturator/filter/whatever... )

dbone

Post by dbone » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:30 am

Johnisfaster wrote:1) pitch/tuning for each drum rack pad will be accomplished with the associated simpler transpose function.
Sorry... should have made it more clear - I am looking to map the Pitch/Transpose function to a knob on my Remote SL. The "Play" parameter (between "Receive" and "Choke") in the chain window is not MIDI controllable. This seems to be the only thing I can find that controls note pitch.

You'd think there would just be a knob for Pitch/Transpose in the Simpler module itself. Great to have a Pitch Envelope, but WTF?!?

I have exposed the "Pitch" tab in Simpler on the pic below. ...or am I still looking in the wrong place??

2) Scale trick is neat, but seems like kind of a work around. I'm kind of shocked that there is simply not some way to select a Mixer track as an "Individual Output".

[/img]

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:33 am

you'd think there would just be a knob for Pitch/Transpose in the Simpler module itself.

Ummm, there is, dude. It just isn't a knob.

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:35 am

dbone wrote: You'd think there would just be a knob for Pitch/Transpose in the Simpler module itself. Great to have a Pitch Envelope, but WTF?!?

I have exposed the "Pitch" tab in Simpler on the pic below. ...or am I still looking in the wrong place??
you want the 'transp' box below the adsr knobs. its midi assignable.

dbone

I have seen the light!

Post by dbone » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:39 am

THANKS!!
Last edited by dbone on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

timothyallan

Re: Simpler > Sampler

Post by timothyallan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 am

dbone wrote:Still, that's pretty goofy the way Simpler is set up without a dedicated Pitch control in plain sight.
:lol: How could you get it anymore in plain sight than always being visible on the main interface??