tension tutorial please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rude_NHS

tension tutorial please

Post by rude_NHS » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:55 am

anyone is welcome.

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:42 pm

I usually begin with 4-6 cups of strong espresso, followed by a heated argument with my wife followed by a cold shower while masturbating just to the point of release then stopping. Then repeating.
That usually creates the right amount of tension.
try it.

blank

Post by blank » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:51 pm

Tension is at this state really buggy and dangerous for your ears.

Must avoid it imho for the moments.

If you still wish to learn it, the manual is pretty well build around tension so take a look there.

The synth is pretty for experimental sounds, it has powerful capabilities of weird sounding instruments.

It's also a good acoustic bass type of synth.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:05 pm

its a sensitive beast but worth fiddling with

forge

Post by forge » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:18 pm

corygilbert wrote:I usually begin with 4-6 cups of strong espresso, followed by a heated argument with my wife followed by a cold shower while masturbating just to the point of release then stopping. Then repeating.
try it.
:lol:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:21 pm

blank wrote:Tension is at this state really buggy and dangerous for your ears.

Must avoid it imho for the moments.

If you still wish to learn it, the manual is pretty well build around tension so take a look there.

The synth is pretty for experimental sounds, it has powerful capabilities of weird sounding instruments.

It's also a good acoustic bass type of synth.
I don't seem to be having these problems with it at all. For sure it's a volatile synth to program, it can go from no sound at all to a huge atonal screech with the turn of a single knob but once you've balanced everything up and found the sound you were going for (or found by accident) that sound remains stable. You only have to run through all of the presets to see that this is true.

Getting bowed sounds to work is probably the most challenging part, it's a balancing act between force, friction and velocity, the best way to start is probably by using one of the included presets and then tweaking a single control to get a feel for what it does and more importantly, how much even 1 degree of turn can alter the sound. If everything does get suddenly louder simply turn it down on the volume pot to balance it out, it's also a good idea to place a limiter after it to avoid giving your monitors or ears a hernia. Small and gradual tweaks yield better results, this is NOT like a subtractive synth.

Putting a distortion unit after it can act as a limiter and also make those crazy noises that it makes sometimes actually usable.

Have fun.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:26 pm

forge wrote:
corygilbert wrote:I usually begin with 4-6 cups of strong espresso, followed by a heated argument with my wife followed by a cold shower while masturbating just to the point of release then stopping. Then repeating.
try it.
:lol:
Maybe Ableton should consider creating another synth called Release, not sure what kind of sound that one'd make. Gh.....g......g......ghooosh! maybe.

jan.krey

Yeah what a blast

Post by jan.krey » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:42 pm

This one needs some fiiiine tweaking, but i must admit that I do find it a little hard to turn the knobs right when it comes to the bowed exciter.

But making a string vibrate with a bow really IS hard.

So the physical modeling works, but its only 1.0 so updates will come,
I wish they had the bugposting system from the beta................
MacBook 2.0 GHz Intel CORE 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, OS X 10.4.11, Ableton Suite, Triggerfinger, M-audio 1814 (good drivers), Tascam US 122L (lousy drivers ....), M-box (good drivers).
And a boatload of michrophpnes and XLR-cables..;)