New Automap OS kicks ass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

New Automap OS kicks ass

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:18 am

The new SL os is great, very stable and works beautifully with all my plugs

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:44 am

Ya, I was just going to post about how great it is to finally have transport controls that work in the ableton automap template. That alone is sweet.

I haven't tried using the wrapped version of plug-ins with plug-in automap again, but maybe I will again.

One thing still pisses me off huge though: If you go from using a manual template to ableton automap and move a slider, the on-screen value still jumps when in value-scaling/pick-up mode. :x
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:47 am

Wish I could test it myself, but since Novations repair-service broke my unit more than they repaired it I had to send it back for another try.

What do you mean by jumping LCD values? Shouldn't Live's own pickup mode handle this (the Remote is not responsible for LCD content, but Live)?!

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:19 am

Timur wrote:Wish I could test it myself, but since Novations repair-service broke my unit more than they repaired it I had to send it back for another try.

What do you mean by jumping LCD values? Shouldn't Live's own pickup mode handle this (the Remote is not responsible for LCD content, but Live)?!
No, I didn't mean the LCD values. I meant the real on-screen values of, for example, the mixer. Go to a manual template, move the slider. Go back to ableton template, move it from ht new position and it will jump. It's always been this way and it stinks, but not the end of the world.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

tricil

SL FALL OFF

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:32 am

R.J.Dubya wrote:
Timur wrote:Wish I could test it myself, but since Novations repair-service broke my unit more than they repaired it I had to send it back for another try.

No, I didn't mean the LCD values. I meant the real on-screen values of, for example, the mixer. Go to a manual template, move the slider. Go back to ableton template, move it from ht new position and it will jump. It's always been this way and it stinks, but not the end of the world.
have you tried Global PotMode JUMP/PICK-UP ? mine is on JUMP by default, but I don't use any manual templates yet since I just now got an SL with the 4.1 OS installed was the first thing I did.

Tap Tempo and the Tempo Knob work now too...

but here's a MAJOR issue.... anyone had the device fall completely off? I have some things mapped to the XY pad and would tweak away and then completely lose ALL midi control, despite no errors on my screen or the SL's

and, unlike any other midi controller on a mac, you can't just reboot the device and have it automagically come back. =(

this is crucial and makes me possibly go back and return it (i've already exchanged it once)

... the problem gets even WORSE if I do try and fix it. like, restart the SL, ableton doesn't freak out but the SL does saying "Ableton is OFFLINE"
ok
so worse case awful scenario I reboot live without touching the frozen SL

and it still has the track assignments from the previous session on the LCD and still WONT out put control.

this is disgusting because the only way to fix is to reboot both SL and relaunch Live.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

4ace

Re: SL FALL OFF

Post by 4ace » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:02 am

tricil wrote:
R.J.Dubya wrote:

have you tried Global PotMode JUMP/PICK-UP ? mine is on JUMP by default, but I don't use any manual templates yet since I just now got an SL with the 4.1 OS installed was the first thing I did.

but here's a MAJOR issue.... anyone had the device fall completely off? I have some things mapped to the XY pad and would tweak away and then completely lose ALL midi control, despite no errors on my screen or the SL's

and, unlike any other midi controller on a mac, you can't just reboot the device and have it automagically come back. =(

this is crucial and makes me possibly go back and return it (i've already exchanged it once)

... the problem gets even WORSE if I do try and fix it. like, restart the SL, ableton doesn't freak out but the SL does saying "Ableton is OFFLINE"
ok

and it still has the track assignments from the previous session on the LCD and still WONT out put control.

this is disgusting because the only way to fix is to reboot both SL and relaunch Live.
THAT BLOWS!

That's a "What's the F'ing point" deal breaker....Hopefully someone gets it together and fixes it.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:03 am

Its been crashing with logic constantly for me, Live seems ok though.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:32 am

for logic you should follow the answerbase 'how to' for logic 8 from novations website
it;s been up since logic 8 came out, so look in their database a few months back

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:13 am

I've updated the Remote SL and automap software and alot of my automapped plugins are still showing up in the wrong folders in the plug in browser. is anyone else having this problem?

timothyallan

Re: SL FALL OFF

Post by timothyallan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 am

tricil wrote:
R.J.Dubya wrote:

ok

Yeah I get this too now.

The one other thing that shits me about the new OS is that my CPU usage seems to be much higher when I'm using Automap as opposed to not.

If I start my project without the SL plugged in, It averages around 60%... If I start it with the SL plugged in, the proj bumps up to around 68-69% and causes glitches on Tiger. 9% extra cpu is a lot on a 2.4ghz dual core. :(

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:25 am

fuck it, it's going back then. =(
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:26 pm

seriously i have faith in this thing and don't wanna take it back

on the plus side i'll be $400 richer.

alas, we'll see..

any fixes?

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 pm

it might be worth posting about this in the novation remote sl forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NovationRemoteSL/

a couple of novation staff monitor the group and might be able to help out or get it sorted in an update. the more live users in the group the better - then hopefully they will prioritise support for live.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Sounds buggy, and lame (I don't have one). Your tap tempo and transport work now? That's a bug fix, not an upgrade- and very basic functionality. I like the idea of the Novation but what you are all describing sounds really unreliable.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:23 pm

morerecords wrote:for logic you should follow the answerbase 'how to' for logic 8 from novations website
it;s been up since logic 8 came out, so look in their database a few months back

I know how to install and set it up, the SL just constantly drops communication with Logic after about 5 minutes of tweaking. Doesn't happen at all with other apps, so it's not the usb cable or faulty controller. A couple of my friends are now having the same issues since the new OS, so....