Korg Zero 4 & 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:40 am

D@VE! wrote:I heard they are making a fix for it so hope it's true; the Zero4 doesn't have the his problem so it has to be updated.
The zero4 is the one that I have (not the zero 8) and it definately Does have the problem. They both do.
And just to update, the other day the korg randomely glitched out on my macbook in Live and started emitting random high pitch buzzing and then all sound cut out, causing me to have to restart. It happened a couple of times.
I'm done. Finally got off my ass and got myself the motu ultralite which i had been wanting, and will try and sell the zero4.
Still have my eye on that evo5 for the future though.
Last edited by audiovoid on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

D@VE!

Post by D@VE! » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:31 am

OK, hmmm that's new for me; i was in the market foor a Zero4 but now i think i have to wait some more;
evo5... no second line of pot's so not enough control for me.
really hope they will have a fix soon.

Gin2

Post by Gin2 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:45 pm

audiovoid wrote:It's not hard to hook the zero to anotgher mixer but I WILL advise to use the quarter inch Booth outs and just set your booth volume level to the same as the master level. I was running out of the rca record outs which I had assumed would mimic the master output but I was wrong. There's a big volume decrease, probably so if your clipping the master out then the recording MAY still get a little headroom.
And, of course you can run xlr's out of the main, but to me xlr cables are overkill if you're just going to be converting it to rca to plug into a gig's house mixer. If the gig has a desk to plug into then it would make more sense to bring xlr's..

is there any discernable drop in audio quality doing it this way? I'm seriously considering taking it to my next gig, but as i don't have another mixer to try it on, i'm a little nervous about rocking up and then it doesn't work...

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Gin2 wrote:
audiovoid wrote:It's not hard to hook the zero to anotgher mixer but I WILL advise to use the quarter inch Booth outs and just set your booth volume level to the same as the master level. I was running out of the rca record outs which I had assumed would mimic the master output but I was wrong. There's a big volume decrease, probably so if your clipping the master out then the recording MAY still get a little headroom.
And, of course you can run xlr's out of the main, but to me xlr cables are overkill if you're just going to be converting it to rca to plug into a gig's house mixer. If the gig has a desk to plug into then it would make more sense to bring xlr's..

is there any discernable drop in audio quality doing it this way? I'm seriously considering taking it to my next gig, but as i don't have another mixer to try it on, i'm a little nervous about rocking up and then it doesn't work...
I havn't noticed an actual drop in audio quality. But the korgs don't really have the best audio quality to begin with either.
And Like I said before. It has a steady hiss so you will want to plug it into another mixer.
It will be fine for your gig as long as it dosn't bug out in other ways. I've played a few gigs with it and it sounded fine.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

D@VE!

Post by D@VE! » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:34 am

Strange to read that it don't his when plugged into another mixer.
which outputs do you use i which setups.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:35 pm

D@VE! wrote:Strange to read that it don't his when plugged into another mixer.
which outputs do you use i which setups.
No, it Does hiss (constantly) even when plugged into another mixer but you don't really hear it. I imagine that it's because of the fact that the 2nd mixer is providing an extra volume stage and the signal to noise ratio is descent. I've found that If you turn up the volume on the 2nd mixer loud enough to hear the hiss prominantly then your audio Volume is going to be blasting. However, having your monitors running straight out of the zero, I've found that you hear the hiss constantly (and even with all levels at zero). It's wierd.
I've tried with all of the outputs (well I only had one xlr cable to test the main outs with but I still got loud hiss through the one monitor).
I mainly just run out of the quarter inch booth outs but like I said before, I had been running out of the rca record outs but noticed a large volume dip.
The noise thing is very lame but will not hinder you if your using it live. It will hinder you if you're trying to use one of these as a desk in your home studio though.
Now, the high pitched buzzing and sudden audio drop out glitch that I had occur on my macbook the other day? THAT will hinder-the-shit out of a live performance and thats why I personally won't be going back to it again for playing out.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

D@VE!

Post by D@VE! » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 pm

ok, thanx for your reply.
strange that a mixer from a company like KOrg does has soundsporbs.
hmm, i think i will wait for an update or another producht that works lie this.
thanx :)

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:16 pm

D@VE! wrote:ok, thanx for your reply.
strange that a mixer from a company like KOrg does has soundsporbs.
hmm, i think i will wait for an update or another producht that works lie this.
thanx :)
Not really so strange...Korg has good ideas but build quality can suffer.

I had my hands on both these mixers, and money in my pocket, and I decided to wait- it just felt too much like a first gen product! And plasticky.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:45 am

Something tells me the price will drop under $1,000 before there is a sure-fire fix.

Jonny Thrice

Post by Jonny Thrice » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Just wait a few weeks guys...there will be some more, in depth reviews of the EVO5 and some videos as well. In the meantime, you can read my little review of the EVO here http://www.djforums.com/content/2007/12 ... o5-review/

D@VE!

Post by D@VE! » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 pm

I decided to wait. Namm is soon en MusikMesse will follow soon after that. maybe there will be something as a great piece of gear.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:12 am

i just returned mine unfortunately. i LOVED what the mixer could be, but i think korg dropped the ball on a few issues. most notably is the small "click" audio dropout when you switch from audio to audio / midi. i bought the mixer so that i could use the channel as a traditional dj mixer channel the switch over to do some controlling, but the audio problems in the mixers hardware that i ran into really killed it for me.

its sad because if everything on the mixer worked just right it would be THE mixer. :(

D@VE!

Post by D@VE! » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 am

After reading al thi and thinking about it and watching other gear i think the Ecler Evo 5 will be the winner for me; anyone got any remakrs anbout that unit ?

Jonny Thrice

Post by Jonny Thrice » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 pm

check www.eclerdj.com (ecler forums) in the EVO section. Lots of users there sharing information.