(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:08 am

right now Rick Ross and Birdman are doing it for me

The singles they have out are weak compared to the full length cd's

Plies blew it and Lil Boosie is aight - the first track on his album is pretty slammin

While Jeezy's album is old (so is ricks ross's who's got a new one coming out this feb) that album is pretty off the hook

"....Jeezy like ta drank / jeezy like ta smoke / Jeezy like to mix his arm and hammer wit his coke"

I've been blessed to come up off some of gangsta raps best so I'm sprung...Im moving to Dade county :D

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:23 am

None of them.

They're all bad cliches and stereotypes with their bling, hoes, hard luck stories and immature behaviour.

Gangsta rap was so 1990's for me, once you've heard one 'mean mutha' trying to get rich or die tryin' you've heard the lot.

I mean some repetitive things never go out of fashion (jeans, the funky drummer and Amen Break samples etc) but other things (gangstaz included) gets old real fast...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:35 am

my cousin married a canadian woman a few years ago (and lives up there now) and he has alot of the same sentiment towards gangsta rap as you do

we had this discussion over the holiday -

actually there was a good show on LINK TV about cuban rap <-- they're going through what hip-hop was in the late 80's and early 90's in the US - they actually have something to rap about

the thing about gangsta rap that makes it so cool is they don't give a f*ck and just rap about gangsta sh*t

selling crack, shooting people and just kicking it in general

that's all very negative but the fact that that sells is what amazes me

it's entertainment, that's all - some people enjoy it some don't
Ableton | Elektron

Music

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:47 am

alot of things put me off about gansta rap too but I cant help liking some of the artists like Haystack, Young geezy, lil wayne and birdman. probably in that order or close to it. I like haystack and geezy because of their lyricism and lil wayne and birdman because of manny fresh and their ability to write some catchy ass stuff. although they have some shit out thats so awful I cant believe it was released.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:51 am

I know what you mean -

Yung Joc's albums is pretty good - he's a pretty good rapper as well
Ableton | Elektron

Music

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:52 am

dade county huh?! florida right? well, to each his own, i personally don't care for most commercial rap, but i could recommend some underground artists that blow the pants off of most mainstream spitters, mainly one Celph Titled, from tampa. sic,sic flow, one of the most creative mc's i've heard yet. appearently he has a solo album available from his myspace page, although i recently heard bout this and have not ordered yet, but will. what i have heard from him were two different projects, bo$$ hogg barbarians, which is funny booty rap, and my personal favorite AOTP, or army of the pharohs, which is comprised of jedimindtricks, esoteric, ill bill, chief kamachi, apathy, king syze, crypt the warchild, demoz, dez devious, planetary, and reef the lost cause. all these fools bring they a-game, esp. celph. check it out on myspace, you might like it. different styles, some political, some str8 up gangsta shit. must be heard with an open mind, though. str8 up christians and muslims and the such might be offended by some rhymes. well, christians really. but they get offended easily. me? not so much so. rap bout what you want. just don't be a lemming and do what every one else is doing... and i can look past your personal beliefs, if you got skill, which aotp has by the bucket full. peep it
[url]http://www.myspace.com/armyofthepharaohs[/url]

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:52 am

It's the black punk rock. I love punk rock. I appreciate stupid music. The immediate energy over substance has real merit and it keeps that balance in the industry in check. Too much pop sucks, though I like pop too. I enjoy the "go fuck yourself", "fuck the establishment" and "I got mine" message.

They've got mosh pits at G rap shows?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:58 am

dcease wrote:dade county huh?! florida right? well, to each his own, i personally don't care for most commercial rap, but i could recommend some underground artists that blow the pants off of most mainstream spitters, mainly one Celph Titled, from tampa. sic,sic flow, one of the most creative mc's i've heard yet. appearently he has a solo album available from his myspace page, although i recently heard bout this and have not ordered yet, but will. what i have heard from him were two different projects, bo$$ hogg barbarians, which is funny booty rap, and my personal favorite AOTP, or army of the pharohs, which is comprised of jedimindtricks, esoteric, ill bill, chief kamachi, apathy, king syze, crypt the warchild, demoz, dez devious, planetary, and reef the lost cause. all these fools bring they a-game, esp. celph. check it out on myspace, you might like it. different styles, some political, some str8 up gangsta shit. must be heard with an open mind, though. str8 up christians and muslims and the such might be offended by some rhymes. well, christians really. but they get offended easily. me? not so much so. rap bout what you want. just don't be a lemming and do what every one else is doing... and i can look past your personal beliefs, if you got skill, which aotp has by the bucket full. peep it
[url]http://www.myspace.com/armyofthepharaohs[/url]
while I'd be lying if I said Jeezy couldn't rap it's not about rapping as it is an attitude - I've been involved with music most my life and went through that whole "Backpack Underground MC" phase a looooooong time ago

when I listen to music i'd rather not think to hard about what someones saying...

and yes I agree - gangsta rap is easily the black version of punk rock

drugs, excess and debauchery - I love it :)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:01 am

[quote="djadonis206"

actually there was a good show on LINK TV about cuban rap <-- they're going through what hip-hop was in the late 80's and early 90's in the US - they actually have something to rap about

[/quote]
It is really fascinating scene, lots of very talented people and as you say they have something to rap about. Same goes for Cuban reggeton very edgy very witty and meaningful
check this site
http://www.havana-club.com/ and go to cultura (lower right corner) , in archives you can find some interesting stuff, just checked it because of you and saw a story of very old (she is not actually old) friend of mine, nice to see she made international career, I remember her struggling to survive.

Better go to Cuba yourself, you will love it. some of my friends from South Central who do music and video projects cooperate with Cuban underground raperos, even managed to do festivals in Alamar which is Habanas equivalent of south central.
Most of them want to stay forever- not for the music only. Some sbelieve even Tupac lives there, I doubt, met his aunt but she wouldn't say anything about it.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:10 am

Actually I'd love to go down there and get into their music scene - they do their own thing and it's pretty awesome

I recommend LINK TV to anyone with DirecTV (channel 375) <-- independent international television

cubas music scene looks cool
Ableton | Elektron

Music

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:14 am

I used to listen to jedi mind allot but as was said I get offended at some of the shit he says about my religion. I love the productions though.

I live next to tampa and never heard of celph.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 am

It don't get much more thug life than this

http://www.virb.com/poundpuppy

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:18 am

what exactly is "underground backpack rap" anyway? i never reall understood this term. does this mean like talib kwali and mos def and the ilk? if so, i wouldn't classify aotp as "underground backpack rap." i view underground rap as rap that can't really be played on air, due to content.

"army of the pharohs, we don't make love songs, we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on"

i just don't see how this would fly on the radio...or

"i'm jesus in the flesh, so this is mutha fuckin christian rap, y'all just christmas wrap"

i just don't see this gettin much radio love... so i guess that means it sux. sorry.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:19 am

Well, it was an interesting form of expression in it's day, I just think that it is very passe now.

Plus I work in education and see all these kids (mostly middle class white kids), jive talking like a bad black pimp and giving all this attitude and it grates on you, monkey see, monkey do - they all listen to the same gangsta rap and think they're 'hard'. Then they start all this shit at school trying to emulate these gangstaz (back in my day, they would have gotten a good spanking and they'd be crying to mommy but so much as touch a kid these days and the lawyers are in and you're out of a job)

Most of those singing about pimping out hoes, selling crack or killing people in the projects have never been near a project, got bitch slapped by their woman and the only crack they know about is the one in their ass. So for some, it might be real but a lot of it is total BS.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:24 am

Rick Ross
Lil Wayne (whatever happenend to Turk from Cash Money?)
Lil Flip
I mean some repetitive things never go out of fashion (jeans, the funky drummer and Amen Break samples etc) but other things (gangstaz included) gets old real fast...
Don't know about that... I think if I never heard the amen ever again I wouldn't be all that upset.