(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:24 am

Nogi wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
Nogi wrote:What is the rap Nirvana going to be? Getcher popcorn ready.
uh, that was like 20+ years ago. I'd say NWA's Straight Outta Compton.
I don't think you got my meaning. For the record, I already own all the same seminal rap records that everyone else does so no real insight there. It's just my intuition that the gangsta hype-culture thing is played out. It seems like we as a collective are overdue to get real again. I realize there are plenty of underground artists working overtime but who will carry it to the world at large.

My analogy was more like:

Nirvana made all those hair band party-hardy/money-grubbing/tit-grabbers look pretty chump and stopped them dead in their tracks. Who will step up in the rap world and turn all the platinum to so much spandex?

Common - probably the best lyricist out who doesn't rap about guns, drugs and the such

he's really good

rap is so huge right now - much bigger than rock or dance - so many genres and so many different ways to go with it

you can do rap / rock rap / dance gangster / rap - soul rnb whatever

but right now on the radios Common is the best mc out right now

e-40 is easily one of the best gangster rappers lyrically and he's been around longer than most and will be around longer than the rest holding his ground
Ableton | Elektron

Music

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 am

you dig mac dre?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 am

Nogi wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
Nogi wrote:What is the rap Nirvana going to be? Getcher popcorn ready.
uh, that was like 20+ years ago. I'd say NWA's Straight Outta Compton.
I don't think you got my meaning. For the record, I already own all the same seminal rap records that everyone else does so no real insight there. It's just my intuition that the gangsta hype-culture thing is played out. It seems like we as a collective are overdue to get real again. I realize there are plenty of underground artists working overtime but who will carry it to the world at large.

Nirvana made all those hair band party-hardy/money-grubbing/tit-grabbers look pretty chump and stopped them dead in their tracks. Who will step up in the rap world and turn all the platinum to so much spandex?
I'd still say ...Compton was one of those albums and a lot of the gangsta rappers of today are the leftovers. like the punk movement shook things up with a very REAL attitude, now bands like Green Day are called 'punk' or at least when they first came out. I agree it's played out, maybe I gave up on a rebirth.

OK, so is this song gangsta rap or what genre? if it is then is gangta rap solely a matter of lyrics?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMlPVpXtkJY

/it's hard to focus on writing while listening to these tunes. 8)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:30 am

td,

i heard that song years ago, once. didn't catch the name of the group or song, and have thought about it a few times, not knowing where to look.
THANKS!!!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:31 am

dcease wrote:you dig mac dre?
Mac Dre was cool
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:32 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Nogi wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: uh, that was like 20+ years ago. I'd say NWA's Straight Outta Compton.

I'd still say ...Compton was one of those albums and a lot of the gangsta rappers of today are the leftovers. like the punk movement shook things up with a very REAL attitude, now bands like Green Day are called 'punk' or at least when they first came out. I agree it's played out, maybe I gave up on a rebirth.

OK, so is this song gangsta rap or what genre? if it is then is gangta rap solely a matter of lyrics?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMlPVpXtkJY

/it's hard to focus on writing while listening to these tunes. 8)
I'm gonna check that out but what's funny is I'm listening to dance music right now - peace division of all acts
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:34 am

dcease wrote:td,

i heard that song years ago, once. didn't catch the name of the group or song, and have thought about it a few times, not knowing where to look.
THANKS!!!
cool, I just searched on youtube and got lucky! I think it was a real quick summer single.

the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4yZsDvRTk&NR=1

which is more gangster?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:45 am

I've got nothing to contribute to the thread other than i knew who started this thread before i looked.......

Yeah.....i'm on this beyotch a little too much. :P

dja206 is the resident rap aficionado.

Cheers
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:46 am

Last edited by ThrowAway on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 am

yeah, i burned a double cd with eazy does it and 5150 into itunes from a friend after i heard the cover version, at least :D, so i didn't even draw the line till just then! it was my first eazy solo cd... i told you... i can be a little behind :oops:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:54 am

4ace wrote:I've got nothing to contribute to the thread other than i knew who started this thread before i looked.......

Yeah.....i'm on this beyotch a little too much. :P

dja206 is the resident rap aficionado.

Cheers

:lol:

I wish we all could kick it some how sometime - just to actually kick it with some of you fools

it'd be fun
Ableton | Elektron

Music

lola

Post by lola » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:17 am

Small gangster favs
Slick rick
Ice cube
Schoolly D

Reall gangster favs
Eazy e
MC Ren
The doc

Not really gangster but my favs are

Qtip
Rakim

And my alltime fav J dilla

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:25 am

Some I like, The Fix, by Scarface. Street Champ by Big Shug. Livin Proof and A Tear For The Ghetto by Group Home. Anything by Gang Starr.

I don't know if I'd call 'em "gangster" per se, just real.

I never could get into Wayne, I just don't get the appeal. He's got the weakest delivery I've ever heard.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:28 am

scarface - mr scarface is back
CPO - to hell and black w/ MC REN
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:30 am

ehhh... i'm just typical tattoed white trash. we loves us some rap, what ever we can do to be black :D 8O so my a.d.d. prohibits me from having a favorite. wait... mom says i gotta take out the garbage. then i'll come back and tell y'all whose REALLY gangsta. besides... it's just background noise during a full-throttle fueled halo marathon anyway :lol: