Splitting An Audio Channel Into Mulitple Channels?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Diamond Mode

Splitting An Audio Channel Into Mulitple Channels?

Post by Diamond Mode » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi,

Is this possible?

I just read the instructions, and couldnt find any info..Apart from duplicating the channel, is there another way?

thanks.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:29 am

i dont really understand what you are trying to do, more info please, but you could use racks for parallel processing, or aux tracks, or even set up tracks to accept input from other tracks. live is VERY capable with track routings. and i doubt you read ALL of the manual just then :D

Diamond Mode

Post by Diamond Mode » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:32 pm

i'm trying to send the audio from one channel, to multiple channels, so i can split the sound into seperate frequency, and process each one..

any clearer?

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:07 am

use sends to send to as many return channels as you want and process there.

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:17 am

you could do this with a rack setup, couldn't you? or by setting the input of (X) amount of tracks from the output of the source file? for example the track that contains the original track (called loop 1 i.e.) would be output to anywhere (master, aux, hardware out, etc.), and 3 tracks whose inputs are set to loop 1, prefx, then you would have four tracks playing the same thing, and whose processing will not affect the others. you could even leave the original alone, mute it, and use the three other tracks, which will need to be record enabled, to achieve your goals. by pressing the record on a clip or global record, you could create the individual tracks, turn off record enable, and bounce down the results to unload the plugins, by either performing bounce to disk for seperate channels, or in real time by sending the outputs of those three or four channels, post efx, to other channels (repeat above for (x) amount of tracks)... there are numerous ways with lives routings to achieve this goal. hope this helps.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:09 am

This is called parallel prosessing,,
I'm sure you could do this using racks, and that would be the way i would go if i wanted to use more that two or three "Bands",,
The way i do do this is to mute the parent track,, unless i still want it to be part of the end result,, then enable as many sends as i need,,
Create the returns for these sends and put an eq or band pass on each,,
Its best not to add gain while doing this as you can run into phase issues,, so use the EQ/Band pass to take away frequencies you don't want on each return,,
Now,, go a head and put what ever prosessing you want on each return,,
I would also send these separate returns to another return using the send to return option in the out put dialogue,, that way you can have over all control of the volume of the whole lot on one fader,,

This technique is very useful for creating space-ialized sounds using delays and re-verbs,, or for multi-band distortion,,,

I've done this once or twice in Live,, but it's some thing i usually leave till i get to Logic as Logic is better prepared for this type of routing,,,
It's quite easy to get lost inside Live doing this kind of thing which is where Racks would be a better option if your planning on splitting your original sound into lots of bands,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Diamond Mode

Post by Diamond Mode » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:57 am

thanks guys..im going to take all your info on board and have a play around..

using a similar technique, im going to try and take every frequency under 100hz on a song, and route it as a mono..hoping I can figure it out before the end of today :)

cheers

laird

Post by laird » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:21 pm

you don't have to use sends or racks.

The simplest way, imo, is to just create 10 tracks and change their input from "External In" to "Track 1"

Now add 10 different bandpass filters on your 10 new tracks.

viola. 1 audio clip, no copying, 10 different frequency bands on 10 tracks.

[edited for grammar goodening]

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:22 pm

laird wrote:you don't have to use sends or racks.

The simplest way, imo, is to just create 10 tracks and change their input from "External In" to "Track 1"

Now add 10 different bandpass filters on your 10 new tracks.

viola. 1 audio clip, no copying, 10 different frequency bands on 10 tracks.

[edited for grammar goodening]
why not just put an effect rack on the master with the band splits on different chains?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:31 pm

yes, I really cant see why you would use 10 tracks for a task which is almost the prototype of a rack requirement.

a rack with ten chains is much neater than ten tracks