think twice before you get 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deepliferecords

think twice before you get 7

Post by deepliferecords » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:52 am

I am running live 7.0.1, and have a pc, pentium d processor 4 gb ddr2 4200 ram, sata2 internal hd, running windows xp media center edition. I am using ni kore 1 audio interface. When I try to update my live, an error message comes up - the URL "..." could not be opened, the operating system denied access to the specified file. That is not the main problem though, live is "forgetting" that midi is coming into it. My kore midi in is giving midi to live. I can see activity on the midi in track indicator at the very top right of the screen. I can see midi activity in the midi track in the session view. However, after only a few moments, the midi level meter stops showing midi although i am still playing midi into it. The midi track in indicator still shows midi activity, however the midi track level meter no longer shows midi. This keeps happening over and over. I have to keep restarting my computer, and midi cannot be recorded. This issue does not happen with my version of live 6. However, since I have upgraded to live 7, my presets cannot be read in live 6 anymore, and my live 6.0.7 has been uninstalled by live 7. This means that all my projects are not usuable anymore.
What can be done to fix the problem, i just purchased ableton suite download and can no longer produce music! i have contacted tech support and am waiting for a reply from them...
Jesus Loves You!

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:10 am

what would jesus do?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:12 am

holy shit. you're right on all accounts, I never noticed these bugs.

Ableton Live Suite for sale, $20, PM me.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 am

As far as I know Media Center is not within the supported platforms.
However I have installed on my PC Live 7 aside Live 6 with no issues.
The only thing to take care is your library. Better to make a backup first, otherwise it will be 'converted' to Live 7 format and Live 6 cannot read it anymore. I find very odd that Live 7 deinstalled Live 6 because this is not the way Ableton Upgrades. I have got my PC with Live 4,5,6,7 all there, no flaws, of course different Libraries, copy of files/projects. Are you sure you're not trolling? If not pls describe the entire installation process.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

popoff

Post by popoff » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:48 am

I guess there is no much problem with installing AL6 to a different location, so You'll have 2 ableton copies which is actually legal untill You're not working on both simultanously (or whatevah they call it).
I would suggest rather checking the OS if it works fine. Windows crap is well known for it unstability (or whatevah they call it @ MS :twisted: )

Next time consider backup of both - the library and Your livesets.
Archiving the library as ALP should a quite good idea.

p.s. Jesus would migrate to the MacOSX :twisted:
You must master the secret technique of RTFM, my Young Friend
Obi Wan

HW: MB 13.3 /CPU 2G/RAM 2G/
SW: OS MacosX 10.4.11 /AL 7

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:41 am

Geraldo wrote:what would jesus do?
He'd turn the other cheek.

-M

cavern

Post by cavern » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am

I'm guessing you're running a Sony Viao?

Media Center Edition is shit. There are all type of complications and none of them can be explained or solved. Some people don't encounter any problems with MCE. I have a Sony Viao VGNE78G which came with WinXP MCE and nothing ever worked...including a Trigger Finger (thou M-Audio warns it's not supported) a Edirol Fa66 and Alesis Firewire Multimix 12.

I can honestly say switching to Win XP Pro will make your life easier. MCE has no redeeming features. Sure, Live 6 worked on your platform...but that's the fucked up thing about MCE....is sooo sporadic and inconsistent.

blank

Post by blank » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:04 pm

1- Windows media center is not an os to run a production software like live on.
It's not shit, it's for end user entertainement. The interraction of this os with media devices ( like a pro sound card) is different.

So, before everything else, get your self a xp pro sp2 cd and reinstall your os from scratch.

2- Is your midi port set to direct music or mme? Live 6 default was mme, live 7 is direct music. Go switch your midi port back to mme just for fun.

3- Don't forget to disable anti vir, security microsoft services, software firewall on your music profile. ( Musicxp.net is a nice site for this)

4- When I ear bug and Native intruments in the same sentence, I'm never surprised even if I never tried their sound card. Call it stereotype if you want :D

Hope it helps a bit

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Timur

Re: think twice before you get 7

Post by Timur » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm

deepliferecords wrote:That is not the main problem though, live is "forgetting" that midi is coming into it. My kore midi in is giving midi to live. I can see activity on the midi in track indicator at the very top right of the screen. I can see midi activity in the midi track in the session view. However, after only a few moments, the midi level meter stops showing midi although i am still playing midi into it. The midi track in indicator still shows midi activity, however the midi track level meter no longer shows midi. This keeps happening over and over. I have to keep restarting my computer, and midi cannot be recorded. This issue does not happen with my version of live 6.
Go to Preferences, click on the little arrow left of your Kore Midi Input/Output and change "Port Type" from DirectMusic to MME. That should pretty much solve the problem. If not then it's a problem of your computer configuration, because my Kore 1 runs proper with Live 7.

popslut

Post by popslut » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:53 pm

No - really - everybody change your software 'cos one fuckwit can't work his computer.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:54 pm

I did think twice:

Once about getting the Live 7 upgrade only.
Once about getting the Live 7 upgrade with the suite.

I chose the second thought.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
He'd turn the other cheek.

-M
nah, he'd start a jihad

aniajudie

Post by aniajudie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:59 pm

maybe try a Mac :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Jesus uses a custom DAW made completely with MAX/MSP.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Jesus can turn Tarnce into Techno.