crossfading between samples/loops

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jo

crossfading between samples/loops

Post by jo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:03 pm

hi,

now that live 4 will have MIDI and flexible aux sending/bus routing, I think I'm about ready to jump on board. Still one thing that has kept with the old regular DAW (Digital Performer in my case, which is v. slow though) - crossfades between audio files/loops. is it possible to crossfade between loops in tracks in live, and if not, how do you get around this? i.e. if you want seamless (non-silent) transitions within a loop or between two different files in a track?

thanks,
jo

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:00 pm

appart time travel you can pretty do everything you want with live.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:51 pm

piece of cake

In the view menu make sure the crossfader is checked so it is displayed

On the bottom of each track click A, or B, or neither, and use the crossfader below master, or assign it to a midi slider or knob..

the ar

Post by the ar » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:25 pm

The x-fader is there, and it's kicking.
Grab an x-session and you can kick properly too.
This post is just an excuse for posting this pic.

:D
Cheers,
the ar

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:35 pm

but this only x-fades between *tracks* not between clips on the same track. How do I, in the arrangement view, create a fade between two adjacent clips on the same track? I can't find any menu option to do this.

-Mike

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:08 am

no you can't do that. on a track only one clip can play at a time and they can't bleed into one another, you'll have to utilize crossfading between tracks to get what you're after.

-mic-minimal

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:11 am

also, it's really not a problem and in the end it makes you more creative with how you go about things, for instance record your crossfading of two diff tracks on to a third track then consolidate that audio turning it into its own sample/clip and put that on the track where you originaly wanted the fade.

peace

-mic-minimal

mikepinkerton

Post by mikepinkerton » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:10 pm

But that's the whole point of non-destructive edits...not having to bounce down and bake in effects (the xfade) so that you can't go back and tweak it later.

Seems like a huge missing in a DAW app to me. :(
-Mike

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:38 pm

It's not a missing. Just another way of working.
If you want to (re)edit a fade in tracks, do it on 2 tracks.
You can make them as big as you want in the arrengement view. You can draw or record midi/audio fades. This is a way, re-sampling is easy to and there is a crossfader just for the fun of it.
You can also do this in the session view. if you want two tracks to fade in eachother, unlink the envelopes and mess with the volume and timing.
If you want it to snap back/forward to another loop, read up on the follow actions. they are awesome. i made this sequence of 3 tracks and 6 loops that all are triggerd by one scene. all looping nicely into eachother.