Live records manual changes to clip length, start etc

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
old school user

Live records manual changes to clip length, start etc

Post by old school user » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:05 pm

I was surprised that after arming to record in the Arrangement, Live was tracking changes I was making (with the mouse) to the length, start time, etc of each clip!

I had the quantize on Bar, and wherever I ended up with clip settings at the bar start, Live was recording what appears to be a new clip in the Arrange View. But they are just variations of the same clip looking in the Arrange as separately triggered clips. All this just messing with a single clip!

Got some sweet effects from this, able to try many ideas with a minimum of fuss, and could hear the thing back on replay, then save the best clips to the Session.

As I said, I was surprised that Live was recording this too, as its not creating automation envelopes or changing clips/scenes. Even while still mousing with a single clip's time properties, Live was tracking in the Arrange as if these were new clips being created and triggered.

I'm just getting into discovering the power of interplay between Arrange and Session, and am amazed by this power.

Neil

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:19 am

so are you saying that you were not recording into the arranger view as in having the arrranger view armed, you were just recording into a session clip and the arranger view was recording what you were doing on its own.

geoffroy

Post by geoffroy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:07 am

BTW, is there a way to automate via midi the length, start time, etc of a clip ?

old school user

Post by old school user » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:so are you saying that you were not recording into the arranger view as in having the arrranger view armed, you were just recording into a session clip and the arranger view was recording what you were doing on its own.
No, I was recording in the Arranger; it was armed.

Just twiddling with the clip times within the Clip view. A single clip, change start, length, etc...

Try it and see what happens.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:36 pm

oh yeah!

Arrange view records *everything!* even orig. bpm mouse-freaking and mad sample-offset automation! Cool, guess I will be using the arrange view anyway :wink:

Try setting a clip envelope to control the cutoff of the filter over a beat or something. Set the clip envelopes quantize to 1/16 and start drawing. This kind of behaviour is just like with "proper" step sequencers, i love it.

BUT: IF we can record it into the arrange window without a problem, why can't it be remote controlled? Oh well, [using quote-voice:] we'll always have consolidate.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:11 pm

i love the fact that live does this. i've been whining for midi control of clip params since the dawn of time, and this was kind of a temporary workaround, for studio work anyway, and it allows you go back and edit the bits that you screwed up.

here's a track i did a while back that demonstrates this to the extreme. the drum track was all done by using this method, and then going back and editing a few of the recorded clips.

http://www.dirtystudios.com/audio/escirsyn.mp3

k

Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:33 am

That's a cool feature. Try recording in the arrange-mode while doing the dishes, taking out the garbage and cook a fancy meal. If you rewind and hit PLAY the next day LIVE will do this for you.

scnr,
bd

old school user

I posted a piece too

Post by old school user » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:52 am

This is a mix of the piece where I discovered this feature. Very up front use of changing offsets, start time and loop length tweaked in real time on a drum groove (generated from iDrum).

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/File ... ring2.html

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:17 pm

dirtystudios wrote:here's a track i did a while back that demonstrates this to the extreme. the drum track was all done by using this method, and then going back and editing a few of the recorded clips.

http://www.dirtystudios.com/audio/escirsyn.mp3

k
Awesome track, man.
-a-
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.