nintendo music software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bip

nintendo music software

Post by bip » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:17 am

hi,
my girlfriend wants to buy a nintendo (dunno exactly which one).
i know it is possible to make music with the nanoloop software.
my questions:

1. does this worth something (also for fun)
2. are there other music softwares for nintendo? or other consoles?
3. which one should i buy?

i already did a search but didn't find actual information....

thanks in advance

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:58 am

I dig the DS. Touch screen, WIFI, More apps. Great for long subway rides...Grab a M3, G6, NinjaPass...to use homebrew apps. Nitrotracker is like nanolooper or LSDJ for Gameboy or GBA but you can use samples and its not limited to 8 bit sounds, unless your just after the 8 bit stuff. One thing is the soundcards on these things are prretty poor, bit it does have a nice Lofi-ness to it...

With DSMIDIWIFI you can control Live over WIFI using the DS touchscreen or Dpad. Also, if your programming savvy,,y ou can easily communicate with the DS using [netsend-receive] in MAX/MSP or PD. Also, you have access to the DS built in synth engine....

With the NES you have MIDINes, so you can grab some nice 8 bit sounds...

I found my DSLite on ebay for 35$ ( got really lucky ) then the M3 Simply was another 50$ so its not too pricey to get going.

Also, the iphone/podtouch SDK is supposedly going to be out next month, so im sure some nice and Legit audio apps will prob be made for that...

Mike

zappen

Post by zappen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:50 pm

bip

Post by bip » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:39 pm

thank you both for the information, much appreciated...

so if i catch a nintendo ds lite (right with this one?) and download the nitrotracker software (there is a v0.3 with midi) i will be able to at least have some fun during the holydays? and in the best case make some lo-fi loops?

is m3 necessary?

i know my questions can sound silly... but i think i'm getting too old... and never ever had a playing console before

zappen

Post by zappen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:49 pm

this for ds looks pretty funny :
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=u6D1M_URBow

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Kinda off topic but any one used that Syntendo (maybe spelt differently). Had a quick play at a mates and couldn't get a god dam sound out of it. :(
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 am

compositeone wrote:Kinda off topic but any one used that Syntendo (maybe spelt differently). Had a quick play at a mates and couldn't get a god dam sound out of it. :(
I use it occasionally and love the results I've got out of it. What problems are you having?

bip

Post by bip » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:15 am

thanks for your replies.
in fact i'm going to travel to the philippines next month, and i was thinking about buying a nintendo and letting my laptop at home (for practical and security reasons)....
but i think that i will still take my laptop with me and try to make some tracks during the trip...
in "normal time" i don't have so much time to work on my tracks, and i think i will take the risk...
anyway thank you for the information

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 am

bip wrote:thank you both for the information, much appreciated...

so if i catch a nintendo ds lite (right with this one?) and download the nitrotracker software (there is a v0.3 with midi) i will be able to at least have some fun during the holydays? and in the best case make some lo-fi loops?

is m3 necessary?

i know my questions can sound silly... but i think i'm getting too old... and never ever had a playing console before
No, you need to get a passcard thingie, Load nitro tracker on to it then pop it in your DS, pretty simple process really. You can store as much as your sd card in the M3 can hold worth of apps, mp3s, movies, games...whatevs...
I have the M3 Simply, a bit more expensive than some other ones, but have never had any probs with it yet, it seems to be pretty well supported by most homebrew apps out there. The whole thing was definately worth the money, i look at it as a nice little portable instrument, again its not meant to be a replacement for Your main compositional tools, but its def fun to play around with. Still havent played any games for it though...

big-chip

Post by big-chip » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Hello,
Making music from old computer games systems is what i do so im all over this topic.

With Gameboy you have a few choices. Nanoloop is an awesome tool both for composition and for liver performance and is available in 2 versions. 1.3 for the grey brick and 2.2 for the GBA. Oliver is also soon to be releasing 2.3 which will be for the GBA also.

You could also use LSDJ which is a tracker for the grey brick gameboy. This one comes as a rom download that you have to put on a gameboy cart yourself ro run on an emulatior on your laptop.

Those are the main 2 but there are others you can use like Muddy GB which turns your gameboy into a synth you play with button presses and carrilon editor which is a tracker like LSDJ just not as fully featured.

Also there is now a program called pushpin which turns your gameboy colour into a fully featured midi sound module but you have to put this on your own cart again and build the midi interface for it.

For the nes you have a few good choices too. My preferred is midines which turns your nes into a midi sound module just by plugging the cart into the nes and hooking it up to your midi gear.

Famitracker is a windows based tracker for nes music that is free for download. You can make your tunes and export them as .nsf format so you can play them back on aan actual nes if you hack a cart and such.

MCK/MML is like a programming language for nes music. You type all your music out as code and then compile it into an nsf format file for playback on a nes. Its long winded and takes a bit of getting used to but is very rewarding indeed.

If you are wanting to use a DS then one of the best method for it is to use is a cyclods card and then get yourself a gameboy emulator like the lameboy emulator. This will allow you to play the old style gameboy roms on the DS to make real "nintendo" music.

Also maybe look into making music for some other consoles like the C64 or the Atari ST. Synthcart on the Atari 2600 is another fun tool.

I hope that helped is some way or another. Oh yah and hello new user first post and such.

bip

Post by bip » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:39 pm

i have bought one and i'm using nitrotracker, which is a freeware.
is nanoloop better?
i'm considering purchasing one
thanks again

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 pm

For those into max/msp, my mate found a nice collection of objects that emulate the sound engine of some of those old consoles: http://www.mmonoplayer.com/mspexternals.php

And for windows there are some pluggos of these things.
Always fun to tinker with :D

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 pm

big-chip wrote:Also maybe look into making music for some other consoles like the C64 or the Atari ST...
...but they are not consoles :P

Anyway, I think C64 has a wonderful characteristic sound. Really recognizable, with its out-of-place combination of digital harshness mixed with that analog feel. I really should use it more, perhaps spiced up with something like the Prophet64 module, or its successor.