think twice before you get 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beardedone

Post by beardedone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:13 pm

ewistrand wrote:Gordon :)

Long time no see...

ew
Hey Eric! How are ya? Have you upgraded to Live 7? I'm still not decided. I will certainly upgrade to Sonar 7 first before I spend more money on Live.

Cheers,
Gordon

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Not yet; I'm still on 6 with both Live and Sonar myself. I haven't decided whether or not I'll upgrade either this time around...

ew

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:17 pm

ewistrand wrote:Not yet; I'm still on 6 with both Live and Sonar myself. I haven't decided whether or not I'll upgrade either this time around...

ew
Yeah they are both more than adequate for my needs right now.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Of course if you dont let Live 7 overwrite/upgrade your live 6 library by instead creating a new Live 7 specific library in a different location, then you can continue to use v6 as well as v7.

I figured the upgrade was a good time for a tidy up, so made a new one, copied over essential stuff and left the rest. All my v6 projrects can load into v6 still. Also dont save v6 projects from v7 with the same name - you did? oops...
Nothing to see here - move along!

90's child

Post by 90's child » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:30 pm

right that it! I'm selling my copy of Live 7 and giving up this whole music making thing. :lol:

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:36 pm

90's child wrote:right that it! I'm selling my copy of Live 7 and giving up this whole music making thing. :lol:
why?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

dcease

Post by dcease » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 am

bearded one,

just a joke, don't take the comment too seriously... different strokes and all...

i just didn't like the sounds of their voices, that's all. i still don't see the point of listening to talking on your ipod when you can listen to music. i don't get the books either. why do they charge so much money for a book that you can read for $15? that's lazy... but we digress.

it was really a joke for hijacking the thread. and i am just as guilty :)

as for live 7... buy it. then you can change the theme music, and alter their voices, and maybe add some explosions. then maybe i'd be able to listen.
simple mind and all...

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:41 am

andydes wrote:Jesus can turn Tarnce into Techno.
Jesus uses Mac :D

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:29 am

Mac uses Jesus
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

monsieur.us

Re: think twice before you get 7

Post by monsieur.us » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:04 pm

deepliferecords wrote:I am running live 7.0.1, and have a pc, pentium d processor 4 gb ddr2 4200 ram, sata2 internal hd, running windows xp media center edition. I am using ni kore 1 audio interface. When I try to update my live, an error message comes up - the URL "..." could not be opened, the operating system denied access to the specified file. That is not the main problem though, live is "forgetting" that midi is coming into it. My kore midi in is giving midi to live. I can see activity on the midi in track indicator at the very top right of the screen. I can see midi activity in the midi track in the session view. However, after only a few moments, the midi level meter stops showing midi although i am still playing midi into it. The midi track in indicator still shows midi activity, however the midi track level meter no longer shows midi. This keeps happening over and over. I have to keep restarting my computer, and midi cannot be recorded. This issue does not happen with my version of live 6. However, since I have upgraded to live 7, my presets cannot be read in live 6 anymore, and my live 6.0.7 has been uninstalled by live 7. This means that all my projects are not usuable anymore.
What can be done to fix the problem, i just purchased ableton suite download and can no longer produce music! i have contacted tech support and am waiting for a reply from them...

Seems to be the MIDI issues are due to Windows Media center. Check this out.
http://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12352

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:I did think twice:

Once about getting the Live 7 upgrade only.
Once about getting the Live 7 upgrade with the suite.

I chose the second thought.
:D +1
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:04 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:I did think twice:

Once about getting the Live 7 upgrade only.
Once about getting the Live 7 upgrade with the suite.

I chose the second thought.

Me too.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:05 pm

aniajudie wrote:maybe try a Mac :)

I agree,

Everything is so much easier and better sounding on a mac.

:wink:

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 pm

dcease wrote:bearded one,

just a joke, don't take the comment too seriously... different strokes and all...

i just didn't like the sounds of their voices, that's all. i still don't see the point of listening to talking on your ipod when you can listen to music. i don't get the books either. why do they charge so much money for a book that you can read for $15? that's lazy... but we digress.

it was really a joke for hijacking the thread. and i am just as guilty :)

as for live 7... buy it. then you can change the theme music, and alter their voices, and maybe add some explosions. then maybe i'd be able to listen.
simple mind and all...
No problem dude. I am too much of an evangelical atheist sometimes.

Cheers,
Gordon

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Back to the original topic... I'm actually having the same issue as the O.P. In my case I don't need to restart the system; it's generally sufficient to restart Live. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I'd seen this same behaviour on Live 6. I always figured it was a VST not playing nicely (I had suspected either Guitar Rig or Dimension) but last night I saw this after just a couple of minutes playing an EIC2 instrument with no other tracks inserted. Exactly as the OP describes: the input continues to light, but the MIDI input on the track just dies. Very weird.

Last night was the first time I ever saw it happen right in the middle of my playing, which rules out the possibility of some kind of user error. I guess it could be configuration, but I'm running XP Pro SP2 and I'm very careful about patches etc. Maybe it is an anti-virus confict?