autotune-midi-ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bombastic

autotune-midi-ableton

Post by Bombastic » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Im having problems using autotune midi with live. Im not sure how to route the midi notes onto the audio vocal... any help would be greatly appreciated, or any links to step by step process would be even better!!

thanks!

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm

hi sorry if this is a silly q, any responses?

sensedata

Re: autotune-midi-ableton

Post by sensedata » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Bombastic wrote:Im having problems using autotune midi with live. Im not sure how to route the midi notes onto the audio vocal... any help would be greatly appreciated, or any links to step by step process would be even better!!

thanks!

I have been trying to find out the answer to this for some time with no luck. I still believe there is some way to do it, but I could be wrong.

Anyone out there know?!

mattsonic

Post by mattsonic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:52 am

Bombastic wrote:Im having problems using autotune midi with live. Im not sure how to route the midi notes onto the audio vocal... any help would be greatly appreciated, or any links to step by step process would be even better!!

thanks!
Hi Bombastic,

While AutoTune does allow MIDI input, it doesn't work like a vocoder. Your MIDI notes are used to define the allowable pitches. So, if you simultaneously play C, D, and E on your keyboard, then AutoTune will choose the best match from those pitches. Here's a good tutorial video on how it all works:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LHaAzvdavao

You may already know this stuff, but I bring it up because I don't like AutoTune's MIDI capabilities. Melodyne provides more control over each note, in addition to a phenomenal time-stretching engine.

To answer your question about the MIDI routing:
  1. Load AutoTune on your Audio Track.
  2. Create a new MIDI track.
  3. Assign the output of that MIDI track to AutoTune's MIDI input. The animated image below shows where the MIDI output is located:
    Note: The image above is from another tutorial. But, it does a good job of showing where the MIDI routing controls are located on a MIDI track. You will need to find them on your MIDI track, and then set the output to go to the AutoTune audio track.
  4. Turn on MIDI targetting in AutoTune.
  5. Arm your MIDI track
  6. Play your song
  7. Play some notes on your keyboard. (Play monophonically for the most dramatic results).
Hope this helps.
www.sonictransfer.com - Electronic Music Production Tutorials

m0de

Post by m0de » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:51 am

yo! props for the gif.