Noob tryin to get drumbeats in time

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geo Safari

Noob tryin to get drumbeats in time

Post by Geo Safari » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Hiya,
I'm using live 6 with a macbook pro + ultralite interface. Basically I have beats, which I've sequenced in midi and then quantized in live. However when I re-record the midi beats as audio, by routing back through my keyboard (Korg karma- set to slave to ext tempo), it nudges the beat a bit out of time. Now I know latency is unavoidable, but is there a way to compensate for it so that when u playback, the clip shifts a little to the left? Or do you have to use warp markers every time? Cos i am rubbish at that! Maybe I need to just setup my hardware better? I've tried messing with buffer settings, and driver error stuff, but its got me nowhere. The ultralite has some crazy smpte software setup thing with which can you slave to something external or something - but i havent figured that out yet!!
Does live 7 have any better latency compensation features?
Cheers y'all. Sorry if this question's been asked a million times.

Geo

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Not exactly sure about how to answer your question on 6 and it sounds like you tried a lot of trouble shooting. Track delay might help.

But I've heard 7 has made big improvements in MIDI timing as well as the addition of the external device plug. I don't use external instruments so can't say from personal experience. Maybe somebody else will answer.

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Set the track delay to a negative value (i.e., -10ms) and it should shift to the left, no?

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:29 pm

I think the easiest way is by dragging the loop start time.

Look in the manual under "track delay compensation", that is how you fix that issue.

For me, while I have never ever tested this, I just assume that my various hardware synthesizers aren't going to be delayed by the exact same number of milliseconds every time, so I don't trust a global setting. But I have never tested this... mainly becuase dragging the sample start time is so easy. I usually locate a good loop point anyway, so I'm already going into the clip view to adjust the loop end time.