recording automation to clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
m.Lo

Post by m.Lo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:55 pm

[quote="Alien Leg"]This would be good news! Who said that?[/quote]

Sorry, I had to care for my fucking new macbook that´s nothing but shit with live, so what do I need clip automation for when it´s not possible to play instruments in time. But the Abletons said it´s planned for some future release... My upgrade wasn´t Live 7 but Logic 8! Now I can play... without clips...

fragchamp

Nico it's simple

Post by fragchamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 am

[nis] wrote:Some of you might have ignored the last passage of my support email which chris_in_london has posted further above.
chris_in_london wrote: A feature to record automation data right into the session view is quite
on top of our internal wishlist, but it requires a profound
reprogramming of the whole Live engine. We currently cannot say if, how
and when such a feature could be implemented into Live.
It's not that we are sleeping on this one. And we actually do read this forum - at least as often as we can. My apologizes if you feel that we don't post much here. We would do more if someone can extend a day to 48 hours. Can you?
You just need a single toggle button up the top of Live which routs incoming CC data to EITHER arrangement lanes (and mapped software controls) OR clips (and relative values).

When the button is set to "Clip", your hardware won't affect any of your mapped software controls (but arrangement automation will still change them), when set to "Arrange" it will be just like now (but without the useless ability to record irrelevant CC data to clips). Just like now, everything absolute is in the usual arrangement lanes, everything relative is in the clips. Note also that it's about Clip vs Arrange, not Session vs Arrange (because arrangement view has clips too!).

There's no need to ditch the "absolute/relative" concept. The GUI only needs a single button to implement this feature!!!

Prove me wrong!!!

metafactor

Post by metafactor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:43 am

+1 FOR THIS REQUEST AND SOON!!!!!

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm

For the moment, I use my MPC1000 synced to Live to do that

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:50 pm

1+ To this!

I was also disapointed to learn that Live can not record automation to clips in session view.

Clips dragged from session to arrange page should include automation in there. And vice versa, we should'nt have to copy & paste envelope!

Simply being able to record automation in clips and then use "show used automation" would improve workflow for creating & editing envelopes. Instead of scrolling through a BIG ASS list to automate a parameter.

They should also implement my idea for better automation workflow here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84195

PLEASE ADD YOUR SUPPORT AND VOTE IN MY POLL

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Just noticed another issue.

If I manually put in an automation envelope into a session clip then drag it into the browser to save it. Once dragged back into the arrangement I can see that it saved the automation.

Thats good.

However

If I do the same with a clip from the arrange page then it does'nt save the automation, only the notes.

The Producer

Post by The Producer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:50 pm

+1 TO ALL THE ABOVE WE SO NEED THIS FEATURE!

And I like the idea of a button to toggle Absolute that would sort it.

I hope Ableton are on the case.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 pm

bump

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Bump.

It's already there, just enable it for Live & Ableton devices!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

scyhte

Post by scyhte » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:34 pm

BUMP!

still no good news on this, eh? :/
Asus F3Sv 2x2.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, WinXP | Edirol FA-66 Firewire | Live 7.0.2

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:37 am

How do you guys, those who use automation in composition state heavily, actually work in session? Do you all bounce to Audio?

I'm copying automation data from arrangement a thousand times and this slows the workflow that much sometimes, that it would be better to forget using session view... Horrible!
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

forge

Post by forge » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:20 pm

Alien Leg wrote:How do you guys, those who use automation in composition state heavily, actually work in session? Do you all bounce to Audio?

I'm copying automation data from arrangement a thousand times and this slows the workflow that much sometimes, that it would be better to forget using session view... Horrible!
I just hit record almost as soon as I get a few clips going that I'm happy with and start recording into arrange

it means I end up with a track that's 20 minutes long with automated adjustments throughout

then what I do is skip to the part where the settings on devices are how I want them and select the device, go to the arrange drop down menu for it;s parameters and right click>'clear all envelopes for [device]'

so for example, if I am recording and I drag a compressor to a track at bar 17 then spend the next 2 bars tweaking it to where I want it, then later when I have finished recording everything that was recording I go back to bar 19 and 'clear envelopes for compressor'

why 'clear envelopes for compressor' is not in the context on the actual compressor is completely beyond me, but there ya go

automation in Live is an absolute mess and I am bitterly disappointed it was not solved in Live 7 - instead we got multi-lanes of shitty automation

multi-lane automation was at the bottom of the automation list in my opinion, they should have made the automation actually usable first

Soma

Post by Soma » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:41 pm

:!:
One solution (with pros and cons) could be to have a switch on the envelope box that allows the automation to be absolute or relative. Recording to a clip would make it absolute but the user could change it to relative.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am

forge wrote:
Alien Leg wrote:How do you guys, those who use automation in composition state heavily, actually work in session? Do you all bounce to Audio?

I just hit record almost as soon as I get a few clips going that I'm happy with and start recording into arrange

it means I end up with a track that's 20 minutes long with automated adjustments throughout

then what I do is skip to the part where the settings on devices are how I want them and select the device, go to the arrange drop down menu for it;s parameters and right click>'clear all envelopes for [device]'

so for example, if I am recording and I drag a compressor to a track at bar 17 then spend the next 2 bars tweaking it to where I want it, then later when I have finished recording everything that was recording I go back to bar 19 and 'clear envelopes for compressor'

why 'clear envelopes for compressor' is not in the context on the actual compressor is completely beyond me, but there ya go

automation in Live is an absolute mess and I am bitterly disappointed it was not solved in Live 7 - instead we got multi-lanes of shitty automation

multi-lane automation was at the bottom of the automation list in my opinion, they should have made the automation actually usable first
forgot to mention - a key point of this here is the ctl+shift+Delete "delete time" function to get it down to a reasonable length

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 am

I don't go back to Session once I start automating.

it's a bit of a problem !