warp tip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Hayz

warp tip

Post by Hayz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Have jsut been given this method to warp a track and wondered if the BPM should be entered (e.g 126.06 )in the song tempo at the top or the seg BPM in clip view. I think it means the seg bpm but just wanted to check. Also does the song temp at the top need to be a whole number always?

1. Download this baby: http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html
2. Drop your tracks into it and it will calculate the EXACT BPM.
3. Drop a track into an empty clip in Live.
4. Make sure you can see it's wave display at the bottom of the screen.
5. Enter the EXACT BPM (ie 126.06) as the track tempo.
6. Hit 'Warp'
7. Move the first warp marker to the first downbeat
8. Play the track with the metronome playing to check it.
9. Should be spot-on, last warp marker may need a slight tweek.
10. Hit save - track warped!
Last edited by Hayz on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavern

Post by cavern » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:00 pm

uh why do you need the "mix meister"?

Just drop a track in an empty clip...ableton calculates the BPM automatically. Click Shift +Tab to see the waveform. Move the first warp marker to the first downbeat of the song. Right click and choose "warp track from here". If it's an electronic track, only having to adjust the first marker is usually good enough.

From there....you can adjust the MASTER TEMPO to match the tempo of the track. If you're mixing two tracks with different tempos you might want to find some middle ground with the master tempo.

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Did you try it out??

Set that tempo in the clip view.

Now change the song tempo.

The clip should warp nicely.

Live should take a clip that's normally 126.06 BPM and change it to 70 bpm. Or 120 bpm.

Think of the clip BPM setting as "this is what the tempo was originally"
and the song tempo as "this is what the tempo should be"

Try doing the opposite. It'll sound messed up.

Also, try hitting the x2 or /2 buttons in the clip window and see what happens-- both to the sound and to the BPM in the tempo window. It should be clear what's happening and what the relationship is.

Lastly, there's no reason why the song tempo has to be a whole number.
I'd argue that making a distinction between 126 and 126.06 is silly, unless you were syncing two different loops over a long period of time.

Hayz

Post by Hayz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:12 pm

"why do you need the "mix meister"?

I heard that Live doesn't calculate the original bpm accurately..but maybe that isn't true?

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm

You'll hear all sorts of things, especially from people selling you their products.

And if you don't learn how to use Live, you'll have to buy other people's music and/or tools.

Hayz

Post by Hayz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 pm

I heard it from a successful breakbeat Producer...those were his tips for warping and he swears by Ableton Live but said never trust the auto warp and seg bpm...just wondered if others thought the same, so I CAN learn how to use Live - more effectively.

RobertX

Auto warp...

Post by RobertX » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:52 am

In my experience, if something comes in at 127.99 or 128.01, I round it to the nearest whole number, move my first warp marker to the proper position and go form there. Live never puts the first warp marker in the right place, but the BPM calc is very accurate.

Edit: Also... let your own judgements be the final word on anything. The minute you say "I heard that...." conveys to people you don't care enough about the subject to find out for yourself.

Hayz

Post by Hayz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 am

I think it is because I care too much and drive myself loopy trying to find out ;) Thanks for your input